• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fischer Koa 78

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed them on Sunday in 154. I liked them; however, I plan to demo at least one more pair (probably the Dynastar Idyll) before making a final decision.

Note: I currently ski the Koa 73 and they have treated me well but have progressed past them.

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
I demoed them on Sunday in 154. I liked them; however, I plan to demo at least one more pair (probably the Dynastar Idyll) before making a final decision.

Note: I currently ski the Koa 73 and they have treated me well but have progressed past them.

Did they feel "wide" to you? What sort of terrain do you ski?

I bought and didn't get on with the Blizzard Black Pearls this year (unlike everyone else on here!) - I was so disappointed because I wanted something new (my other skis are Volkl Attiva 4 Stars from 2006 which I love but I thought it was time for a new pair).:booboo:

I think it's because I ski (almost exclusively) on piste in Europe where powder days aren't the norm!

Fortunately my ski shop will let me trade them in and I see they have a good offer on the Koa 78s hence was thinking it might be a good swap...

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski the northeast US--mostly the Poconos (PA) but try to get to Vermont about twice a year for a few days. We normally have hard pack at our home mountain.

They didn't seem wide to me but I felt I needed a wider ski given my weight (190 lbs) and that I have progressed to an intermediate.

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
I'm quite tempted to give them a go - we are really limited in the UK for demo possibilities so I have to buy without trying hence finding this website and the ski divas really helpful!

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Understood. I think Fischer makes a good product. I even had my husband buy Fischer for himself.

I plan to make my decision the first week in February after I try the other pair (due to a prior commitment I cannot ski this weekend so have to wait until next). I will let you know my decision.

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, please do.

I don't think the Koas would be my first choice but I think it'll work out with very little extra cost and the local ski shop (while excellent) is relatively limited in options.

What I REALLY want is the Kastle LX72 but they are v expensive and hard to find... (actually I might start another thread to see if anyone has skied those too)

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I own and love my Koa 78s! I skied for a month, minus the 3 deepest days in Whistler on them - trees, steeps, piste. moguls and fast. Loved them. More often ski in Europe and they are spot on for that except fresh dump deep off piste ie. more than 30cm. They have taken me from intermediate to (dare I say it???), advanced. Only difference between mine and last years(assuming that is what you have the deal on) is that they are rail system binding, so I cant speak about that as mine are normal bindings. You dont say what you are actually after in a ski, or your stats.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the Koa 75 for 2 seasons... learned to ski on them and they got me as far as doing black runs before I decided to replace them with longer, stiffer skis (Volkl Kenja). I liked them on groomers, but they really showed their weak side when skiing powder (I actually bought powder skis about 2 months after buying the Koas because I had such a hard time in powder & crud with them). I think the Koa 78 is a more advanced ski than the 75 though, so it might do better.

mustski

Angel Diva
Your Volkls are pretty narrow waisted so the jump to the Black Pearl may have felt really different because you are used to a carver and switched to a rockered wider waisted ski. The KOAs may be a great compromise because the 78 waist falls somewhere in between the carver and the BP. It is a different feel with a tip rocker though so you will still need to allow for adjustment. I have never skied them but I have only heard good reviews. Have you tried any of the new Volkls or looked at last years models to see if any are available at a good deal?

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Your Volkls are pretty narrow waisted so the jump to the Black Pearl may have felt really different because you are used to a carver and switched to a rockered wider waisted ski. The KOAs may be a great compromise because the 78 waist falls somewhere in between the carver and the BP. It is a different feel with a tip rocker though so you will still need to allow for adjustment. I have never skied them but I have only heard good reviews. Have you tried any of the new Volkls or looked at last years models to see if any are available at a good deal?

I think that is exactly it(I might be wring but I think my Attivas are 112-67-97 where the BPs are 88 in the waist. On the softer snow I could feel what they are probably amazing for (i.e. floating in powder) but for a primarily piste based European skier I think they are wrong for me.

I've not tried any of the new Volkls - but have been reading about the Allura and Chiara in particular. I'm quite a Volkl fan but again the problem is I have no opportunity to demo.

I'm wondering whether the Koa miht be a bit 'soft' particularly as Volkls are generally quite stiff?

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
I had the Koa 75 for 2 seasons... learned to ski on them and they got me as far as doing black runs before I decided to replace them with longer, stiffer skis (Volkl Kenja). I liked them on groomers, but they really showed their weak side when skiing powder (I actually bought powder skis about 2 months after buying the Koas because I had such a hard time in powder & crud with them). I think the Koa 78 is a more advanced ski than the 75 though, so it might do better.

This makes me wonder whether I'd actually be buying a less advanced ski than I've been skiing on for years. I have heard (the only negative it seems) that the Koa 78s can be a bit soft. Was that basically your problem with the 75s?

The conditions we have are generally hard pack and sometimes icy so a potential lack of stiffness/edge could be a problem...

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
I own and love my Koa 78s! I skied for a month, minus the 3 deepest days in Whistler on them - trees, steeps, piste. moguls and fast. Loved them. More often ski in Europe and they are spot on for that except fresh dump deep off piste ie. more than 30cm. They have taken me from intermediate to (dare I say it???), advanced. Only difference between mine and last years(assuming that is what you have the deal on) is that they are rail system binding, so I cant speak about that as mine are normal bindings. You dont say what you are actually after in a ski, or your stats.

Hello fellow British skier (there aren't many of us on here!),

I think the deal is actually on this season's (with V9 bindings) so probably exactly what you have.
I'm 5'5" and aprox 122 lbs so relatively light.
Do you find them 'soft' on icy pistes?

mustski

Angel Diva
I think that is exactly it(I might be wring but I think my Attivas are 112-67-97 where the BPs are 88 in the waist. On the softer snow I could feel what they are probably amazing for (i.e. floating in powder) but for a primarily piste based European skier I think they are wrong for me.

I've not tried any of the new Volkls - but have been reading about the Allura and Chiara in particular. I'm quite a Volkl fan but again the problem is I have no opportunity to demo.

I'm wondering whether the Koa miht be a bit 'soft' particularly as Volkls are generally quite stiff?
I like the volkls because of the stiffness. It makes it a burlier ski and I don't have any problem flexing them. Like you, I don't really enjoy soft skis on piste. In Southern California, most of my ski days are on groomed runs. On icy days or even really solid days, I want a ski that will hold an edge and not chatter. I'm still skiing my 2006 Attiva AC3s on the icier days. Hopefully someone will let you know soon how the KOAs work out on the hard stuff. Good luck!

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello fellow British skier (there aren't many of us on here!),

I think the deal is actually on this season's (with V9 bindings) so probably exactly what you have.
I'm 5'5" and aprox 122 lbs so relatively light.
Do you find them 'soft' on icy pistes?

Im 5'3 and 115lbs, so also relatively light and more midget-like. On 150cm (ideally would be a few cms longer, but not up to the next size of 159cm). I would say they handle icy pistes pretty well, but to be honest I ma not the best judge as that isnt my forte anyway. I would say they hande it bad, and in fact others have ponted out that I was manging better than them, but then that maybe part tune and part because they were on relly flexible skis. I would say that with ice performance you lose soft snow / mogul performance (given the same width), but then everything is a compromise, and they work through everything for me. They arent specilists in anything, they just really suit me - sorry that last comment is no use to you at all ;-)

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oh i just thought - i should also add, they love to turn short to medium radius, so if you like to snap neat fun turns down the slope they are great - if you hone with huge turns (freeride style), they may not suit as have pretty short radius.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought and didn't get on with the Blizzard Black Pearls this year (unlike everyone else on here!) - I was so disappointed because I wanted something new (my other skis are Volkl Attiva 4 Stars from 2006 which I love but I thought it was time for a new pair).:booboo:

I think it's because I ski (almost exclusively) on piste in Europe where powder days aren't the norm!

Hi fellow Brit!

I'm so glad I didn't go for the BPs, I just had a feeling they weren't the right skis for me because like you I ski in Europe on hard piste, and your review has made me glad I didn't! I always have to bear in mind that many of the Divas ski on different snow conditions.

I bought the wrong skis prior to my Dynastars and think I learnt from my (rather expensive as it turned out) mistake. I had Rossis which were great in some ways but I struggled with them on steeps.

Do try the Idylls if you can, I think you might like them - either the 2011/2012 or this seasons' (I think only the top sheet is different).

The Koa 78 is certainly a ski I would consider.

The other ski I'd love to try would be the Atomic Affinity Pure.

https://www.snowandrock.com/atomic-...ki-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/29763

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This makes me wonder whether I'd actually be buying a less advanced ski than I've been skiing on for years. I have heard (the only negative it seems) that the Koa 78s can be a bit soft. Was that basically your problem with the 75s?

The conditions we have are generally hard pack and sometimes icy so a potential lack of stiffness/edge could be a problem...

The 75s were great for me to learn on, but I like to go fast and carve big turns, so my speed outgrew the ski (I'm 5'2" 120lbs and was skiing 150cm - my new Kenjas are 163cm for comparison). I haven't skied any real hardpack or ice this season (lucky me, eh?), but if I remember from last season, they weren't rubbish on ice, but they didn't shine either. They were pretty dreadful in the crud/chop/mashed potatoes though, and didn't seem to have enough grunt to power through it. If you're used to skiing Volkls, I would avoid the 75s, but the 78s may be entirely different.

If there's any chance of you being able to demo, you might want to check out the Nordica Belle to Belle. I demoed these a few weeks ago and really liked them... though I wasn't looking for a carver so I didn't buy them in the end. Definitely worth a look if you're skiing mostly on piste though.

westminstergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi fellow Brit!

I'm so glad I didn't go for the BPs, I just had a feeling they weren't the right skis for me because like you I ski in Europe on hard piste, and your review has made me glad I didn't! I always have to bear in mind that many of the Divas ski on different snow conditions.

I bought the wrong skis prior to my Dynastars and think I learnt from my (rather expensive as it turned out) mistake. I had Rossis which were great in some ways but I struggled with them on steeps.

Do try the Idylls if you can, I think you might like them - either the 2011/2012 or this seasons' (I think only the top sheet is different).

The Koa 78 is certainly a ski I would consider.

The other ski I'd love to try would be the Atomic Affinity Pure.

https://www.snowandrock.com/atomic-affinity-pure-lt- -atomic-xto-10-af-binding-12/-13/skis/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/29763

I'd never even considered Atomic skis (it's funny how we do tend to stick with what we are used to/aware of) but I looking at how they are described they sound well worth considering.

I'll have a look into the Dynastar Idylls as well.

I think I've sort of set my heart on Kastle skis now (terribly expensive but seemingly worth it) but I'm worried about making another mistake.

I'm so jealous of how the American & Canadian girls on here get to demo everything!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not always everything- still depends on where you live and how big the hill is. My local hill only had Salomon, Atomic and Head reps out on demo day. One of the larger hills about 2 hours away has an Elan demo day scheduled. So yes, living in Canada, I too have "demo envy"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna