• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First visit to Denver - suggestions?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What’s the consensus on caffeine and altitude - I’m reading conflicting advice- some say avoid (because of diuretic properties?) some say it helps with the headaches.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m seeing at these western resorts :eek: I would never be able to justify lift tickets and ski school at some of these places!
Out west in the Rockies there is a big difference between destination resorts like Steamboat, Copper, Keystone, or Aspen in comparison to where locals their their families for day trips like Loveland, Arapahoe Basin near Denver or Sunlight near Aspen. The difference in PA is that even the well developed 4-season ski resorts like Camelback have under 1000 ft vertical and <200 skiable acres.

Have you ever looked at the thread about "old school" ski areas? They exist out west too. But many have more than 500 acres so aren't in the same size ballpark as anything in the mid-Atlantic, or even in the northeast.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...se-old-school-ski-areas-have-you-skied.22160/

marzNC

Angel Diva
What’s the consensus on caffeine and altitude - I’m reading conflicting advice- some say avoid (because of diuretic properties?) some say it helps with the headaches.
I would guess it depends somewhat on how addicted someone is to caffeine. I don't drink caffeine in any form so have no personal experience to share.

For someone who habitually drinks coffee in the morning, probably better not to skip the coffee. The friends from the flatlands who have shared a condo with me and my ski buddy Bill who are coffee drinkers all seem to enjoy the fact that he brings good coffee for the coffee maker. They don't wait until the 2nd or 3rd day to have a cup first thing in the morning.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Out west in the Rockies there is a big difference between destination resorts like Steamboat, Copper, Keystone, or Aspen in comparison to where locals their their families for day trips like Loveland, Arapahoe Basin near Denver or Sunlight near Aspen. The difference in PA is that even the well developed 4-season ski resorts like Camelback have under 1000 ft vertical and <200 skiable acres.

Have you ever looked at the thread about "old school" ski areas? They exist out west too. But many have more than 500 acres so aren't in the same size ballpark as anything in the mid-Atlantic, or even in the northeast.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...se-old-school-ski-areas-have-you-skied.22160/
Yup! That’s definitely what I’m looking forward to in this visit. Just going up to Vermont was eye opening to me so I’m sure this is going to be amazing! I’m just glad I’m going solo vs having to multiply all the costs by 3!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yup! That’s definitely what I’m looking forward to in this visit. Just going up to Vermont was eye opening to me so I’m sure this is going to be amazing! I’m just glad I’m going solo vs having to multiply all the costs by 3!
I haven't skied that much in Colorado, partially because of the high altitude and also because of the distances from Denver airport. But when my husband had a business trip to Denver in March a few years ago, I took a drive and checked out the bases of Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, and Copper. The view from Loveland Pass was great. But the little walk at almost 12,000 ft was definitely an effort, even after a few days in Denver.

One advantage of Steamboat for a family trip is that it's at a lower elevation, only about 7000 ft. Has a nice town and a free bus system around the resort and town.

Are you taking skis? Or just boots?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So many options to choose from! So I am bringing both boots and skis. I figure best to have equipment I am familiar with. I have a Volkl Flair 76 and a BP88. Should I maybe bring both?

MissySki

Angel Diva
So many options to choose from! So I am bringing both boots and skis. I figure best to have equipment I am familiar with. I have a Volkl Flair 76 and a BP88. Should I maybe bring both?

Honestly I think you’d be fine with the BP88 in most conditions unless a huge powder day where you could then always rent fatter ones. Of course, if you have a double bag/case to fly with and space isn’t an issue it doesn’t hurt to have two options if that makes you most comfortable. I used to bring two pairs of skis west, but then I would have to think about which to ski each day on mountains I was unfamiliar with anyway and usualky just stuck to one once I got comfortabke there anyway. Now I usually just bring one ski that’s good all around and haven’t regretted it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would stick with one pair of skis, especially if you are only skiing for a few days. My first pair of skis that I took out west were 75 underfoot. I was skiing 70-80% on groomers then. Next pair of skis were the original Black Pearl, 88mm. These days, my all mountain skis are 85 underfoot.

Even though I have a Sportube 2 that fits two pairs of skis, much easier to lug it around with only the weight of one pair. Plus then there is room for a few other bulky items such as snow boots and a small backpack. Flying home I put other stuff in the Sportube. Flying west, I have more in my carry-on bags directly related to skiing in addition to my boots and helmet.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I think I’ll just bring the Volkls for now since im
More used to them and I will for sure be sticking to groomers. I’m planning to fly in on Friday and will have Saturday to Monday to ski. I’m debating whether to spend Friday night in Denver to acclimatize but I’m not sure if it will help if I’m only staying for a couple days. Alternatively I’d just go directly to the base directly from the airport.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m debating whether to spend Friday night in Denver to acclimatize but I’m not sure if it will help if I’m only staying for a couple days. Alternatively I’d just go directly to the base directly from the airport.
Hard to say. Depends a bit on what elevation you will be sleeping at. I just did a Sat-Sat trip where I stayed in town at about 7000 ft initially before moving to 9000 ft closer to the base where I was skiing. Have also flown to SLC and gone straight to Alta Lodge, which is at about 8000 ft. More likely to have a headache the first day when I do that, but it's manageable with a little aspirin. I have trouble sleeping the first couple nights either way.

But remember, everyone and every trip is different so it's very hard to predict.

mustski

Angel Diva
Are you planning to stay at the resort or returning to Denver each evening? If you are going to stay at the resort, there is a great shuttle service from Denver airport. Since you only have a couple of days, I would just head straight to the resort.

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
We just did a weekend at Keystone and it was awesome. Going back March 8th! Easy drive from Denver and the morning commute on mondah to the airport was great!

I did suffer from altitude sickness the first night we were there. It was terrible. I threw up, bad headache, I almost passed out. I ate a ton of carbs, got a camelback and drank a ton of water, Advil and the next morning I was fine. I think it was late morning I finally felt better. I just ate a ton, got my morning coffee and chased it with lots of water...oh and I got one of those oxygen inhalers. That literally kept me going if I felt wonky. We were there for just the weekend so I did everything I could to acclimate faster.

Fitmom

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everyone for all the great tips. What exactly is an oxygen inhaler and where would you get it? CVS?

I got mine at the ski shop that I bought my camelback at. I saw them at the ski rental place as well. I’m pretty sure it helped me. I kept it in my ski jacket and when we went to the other two peaks at Keystone I just took it since they’re a little taller than the main one at Keystone. We’re gokng back in a few weeks and I’ll probably do the same thing plus keep Advil on me just in case.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok thanks! Super helpful. I would totally not have even thought about the altitude thing if you all hadn’t mentioned it.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a tip the Amtrak California Zephyr takes the exact same route as the ski train- except it stops ten minutes down the road in Fraser. The Amtrak station is on the free black bus route that runs every 30 minutes and will take you to the mountain. Just in case your timing is off. There is also a van service called Home James from the airport to Winter Park. The bus service around town is great and free.

As far as altitude my parents always thought a night on the front range really helped their adjustment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna