• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First trip out west!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! I feel 1000X better after reading this thread. I'm thinking I'll carry on my boot bag, and I have a carry on roller bag for my non ski clothes. If they give me a hard time because the boot bag doesn't fit under the seat, I can always gate check my regular luggage, or wear the boots. Keep an eye out for "Post-grad spring breaker refuses to check ski gear, flies in ski boots" on YouTube.

Thank you to those of you who reminded me about the altitude and humidity differences. I already don't drink enough water, and I'm fair skinned. I found a travel humidifier at bed bath and beyond that fits a standard water bottle, so that's going on the nightstand! And of course there's already sunscreen living in my boot bag.

@badger I will be out there the weekend before presidents week, through that Wednesday. And yes I did but the epic local pass which is blacked out that weekend so looks like I'm giving Vail MORE MONEY.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! I feel 1000X better after reading this thread. I'm thinking I'll carry on my boot bag, and I have a carry on roller bag for my non ski clothes. If they give me a hard time because the boot bag doesn't fit under the seat, I can always gate check my regular luggage, or wear the boots. Keep an eye out for "Post-grad spring breaker refuses to check ski gear, flies in ski boots" on YouTube.

Thank you to those of you who reminded me about the altitude and humidity differences. I already don't drink enough water, and I'm fair skinned. I found a travel humidifier at bed bath and beyond that fits a standard water bottle, so that's going on the nightstand! And of course there's already sunscreen living in my boot bag.

@badger I will be out there the weekend before presidents week, through that Wednesday. And yes I did but the epic local pass which is blacked out that weekend so looks like I'm giving Vail MORE MONEY.

I Do know someone who's luggage was over weight so she took off her shoes and wore her ski boots on the plane.!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last summer flying back from Germany there was what looked to be a college ski team coming home- all with their boots slung over their shoulders.

adriennemaria

Diva in Training
Hello! I'm from New England and have flown out West and to Europe to ski several times.

Even though it hurts my body to lug all the gear around LOL, I think it is just way better to have your ski stuff with you. Make sure you verify with your airline about baggage allowances- we flew AerLingus and they did not let us count our boot bag and ski bag as one sporting item, and we ended up having to pay quite a bit to check them at the gate ><

Usually when we land, my s/o runs ahead to get the rental car, and I'm left with the majority of the gear haha, so I usually get one of the carts so I can get everything outside without seriously hurting myself.

You can usually find a cheap ski bag on Amazon!!!

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Flying out west for a week or more, black suitcase is Transpack rolling boot bag, probably arriving at SLC airport for stay at Alta Lodge in April
View attachment 11140
Is that red bag the Transpack Sidekick? I have the same bag for local trips but never took it for flights. I didn’t think it would fit under the seat with the helmet attached. Instead, I take a small duffel and pack it loosely with helmet, goggle, electronics, iPad, toiletries, and purse and that goes under the seat with a tiny bit of room for my feet. I have a carryon rolling boot bag with a day’s worth of ski clothes and laptop that goes in the overhead bin. Skis are in a single sportube. I do solo ski trips a lot, so everything has wheels. After a few flights, I have figured out how to pack and strap things together to maneuver everything all by myself. On direct flights I don’t mind checking the boot bag with the skis if that’d save a checked bag fee. I try to fly Southwest as much as possible for the two free checked bags. I try to avoid United for outbound unless it’s a direct flight. I get one checked bag free on United. I really hate paying for bag fees.

With respect to dryness at higher elevation, I boil a pot of water when I check into lodging to humidify the room. I almost always stay at condos with kitchen facilities.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm thinking I'll carry on my boot bag, and I have a carry on roller bag for my non ski clothes.

Another option is to put your boots in that carry on roller bag. Unbuckle the boots and stuff them with socks and undies, then rebuckle, for best use of space. If you want to have your boot bag to take to the hill, you can probably fit it in a soft sided ski bag (this is what I typically do).* You are going to look like you have a lot of luggage if you show up with a roller and a boot bag, and may earn the wrath not only of the gate crew but your fellow travelers, especially on a full flight.

Another thought--you mention the roller would be for your non ski clothes. Prioritze carrying on the valuable things you can't/don't want to replace. Not just boots but ski pants, jacket, swimsuit (because who is going to be able to find a swimsuit that they like in a ski town in winter?), etc. I generally bag my regular clothes and use them as padding in my ski bag. As others mentioned you aren't technically supposed to but you'd have to get a gate agent who was having a really bad day to ding you on this. But still, try to make it as un-obvious as possible.

*A tote, like a cloth grocery bag, can serve the same purpose and it takes up a lot less space when traveling.

Christy

Angel Diva
With respect to dryness at higher elevation, I boil a pot of water when I check into lodging to humidify the room. I almost always stay at condos with kitchen facilities.

If you are staying in a relatively nice hotel, they can probably provide a humidifier too. We always get a humidifier at Sun Valley Lodge and they always have it going when we get to our room. Boy does it make a difference! If we don't have one I feel like I am applying chapstick non-stop and my hair is static city.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is that red bag the Transpack Sidekick? I have the same bag for local trips but never took it for flights. I didn’t think it would fit under the seat with the helmet attached.
Yes, that's a Transpack Sidekick. What I do is take the helmet out of the front pocket when I get to a seat. Without boots and helmet, it's easy to fit the pack under the seat, with the helmet on top on the side. Without a helmet attached and no boots, a Sidekick is the same size as any small laptop backpack. I like having stuff easy to reach during a flight (book, snack, water).

My first boot backpack was a Sidekick . . . a yellow one on sale. Upgraded to what was called the Sidekick Pro after a few years, which has better zippers and integrated boot covers. Found the red one at the big ski shop in Loon during an early season ski safari. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you are staying in a relatively nice hotel, they can probably provide a humidifier too. We always get a humidifier at Sun Valley Lodge and they always have it going when we get to our room. Boy does it make a difference! If we don't have one I feel like I am applying chapstick non-stop and my hair is static city.
Good point. Alta Lodge has humidifiers in all the rooms. The Columbine Inn has a couple of them but it's first-come, first-served.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Rats, I guess I am skiing alone again. LOL I will only be in the area from January 27 thru February 6.
Maybe @BonStarlet will come out to play? That is unless we end up in Taos. Or Telluride.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have you considered if the Epic Day Pass doesn't anything for you for the holiday dates? At least in comparison to actual window rates for the 2-3 days that are blacked out. Although upgrading to Full Epic is probably the least expensive approach. Is that what you're going to do?

mustski

Angel Diva
I use a soft sided double ski bag and, when traveling alone, I pack all my daily wear clothes in there with the skis. Neither Jet Blue,United, nor Southwest has given me any trouble about that and it was TSA inspected every time. I pack my helmet in the ski bag because helmets are cheap to replace. In my boot bag (which I carry on) I pack base layers, gloves, ski pants, mid layer, socks, and goggles. I also carry a boostrap. If they give me a hard time, I remove the boots, strap them together, and call them my personal item. I bring a mid fat all mountain ski (88-100 waist) and that covers everything out west except deep powder. My goal is to avoid buying anything expensive at ski resort prices!

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
I'm not a World Cup racer -- I just use their back pack: https://www.rossignol.com/us/rossig...-tech-equipment-rkhb101-0000tu-2018-2019.html

-I used this bag as my carry on with boots inside and helmet on top. For day trips, my boots go on the outside and gear goes inside (clothing, gloves, goggles, etc.); helmet on top.
-Drink enough water that your urine is colorless (tip from a stranger on the plane)
-Sunscreen! Don't forget weird places like under the tip of your nose and under your chin (snow reflects sun)
-if you rent skis, go for the demos in the ski shop. Sometimes you can talk your way into an upgrade if you'll be there for multiple days or if you have a professional affiliation like National Ski Patrol or Ski School.

Have fun & take pictures!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With boots and helmet in the bag? Then you use the same bag for the ski days?

Yes, helmet fits too. I don't carry a bag on ski days since usually when we are out west we are ski-in/ski-out, or I'm wearing my boots on the shuttle. On other trips I've rented a locker for the week at a ski shop at or near the base.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also . . . if you are contemplating a backpack-type of boot bag, be aware that many are designed for men with wider shoulders and unless they are equipped with a sternum strap, you'll have the devil of a time keeping the straps from slipping off your shoulders. For my weekend bag I use a Kulkea. Great bag that fits everything and has the essential sternum strap (and a handy hip belt if you are walking from the Outer Mongolia of parking lots). But it won't fit under a seat or in an overhead, unfortunately. https://www.evo.com/boot-bags/kulkea-trekker-bag

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly