• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First timer tips for Lake Louise and Banff?

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s a Fairmont hotel, right? They have the best brunches!!! But I try not to overdo it on the eating on my ski trips — it would suck to spend days straight exercising and being active only to gain weight! Lol

Haha somehow I see it in the exact opposite way on ski trips! I reason that I completely exhaust myself everyday on ski trips west, so I must be burning enough calories to be able to sample lots of yummy local food and beer! :wink:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Dining suggestion...Banff Springs Hotel has (or at least used to have, so check it out) a FABULOUS Sunday brunch plus awesome bar setting with huge windows on spectacular scenery.

I have fond memories of Banff Springs - worked there for two summers while I was at university. One year (this was back in the 60s) I was parlour maid, a job that entailed no real work, except to wander around the public areas, dressed in what I think was supposed to be a French maid's outfit, and "pretend" to dust (it was properly cleaned at night). Sounds like a cushy job and it was fun to talk with visitors, but BORING! The next summer I was a chambermaid - much harder work but much more satisfying as you actually did something and could see the result!

Anyway, great summers there, but when I went back to the hotel in recent years, I didn't recognize it at all.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Ski Divas
I am entertaining an idea to go to Banff in late February, for the 1st time. This thread is extremely helpful!
What would be the options to get to the Bow View village from the Calgary airport, except renting a car? any specials for Ikon pass holders?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's beautiful in Banff. I rented a car stayed in Cochrane, our VRBO had a Park pass to use (saved us $$) Check the IKON Pass page- there are usually links to lodging discounts at each area. It's best to Call directly to get any discounts I've discovered.

The Mts. have no 'village' Sunshine village is not accessible by car only Gondola and that closes down at 5pm. It would be really cool to stay up at Sunshine.. Lake Louise and Norquay are closer to the Banff Village. There are buses that will take you to the Mts.

Having a car allows for you to do sightseeing.. we hiked into Peyto Glacier, drove up and walked around Emerald Lake, also Drove almost to the Ice fields just to see the incredible views

Sunshine was my Favorite Mt. LL was very busy, very firm scratched off surface much like here in the NE.. Norquay is a secret gem.. Great fall lines, we skied 2hrs and got almost 16K Vert!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Hi Ski Divas
I am entertaining an idea to go to Banff in late February, for the 1st time. This thread is extremely helpful!
What would be the options to get to the Bow View village from the Calgary airport, except renting a car? any specials for Ikon pass holders?
Is that right in Banff? I believe there are at least two shuttle companies that go from the airport - can't remember which one we took, although the Airporter sounds familiar, but @vickie might. Anyway, Banff Airporter is one name, the other looks like Discover Banff Tours. I just Googled "Calgary to Banff Shuttle" and these were the first two. Whichever one it was, it was nice and convenient.

We did this before the IKON, so I don't know if there are any specials, but I'd just contact them and ask.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not finding a Bow View village. @Lilia, are you referring to the Bow View Lodge?

I have taken the Banff Airporter from Calgary to Banff. As @Jenny said, it was very convenient.

Jilly

Staff member
Brewster's bus line will take you to most of the hotels. I can tell you more in about 2 weeks. I'm heading out, but I did rent a car. My friend that I'm visiting works for Big 3, the tourism arm of Banff.

Geez - Lilia - hit the ski show this weekend. You can meet up with Meghan, she'll be there. And there will be deals to be had. International center by the airport!

alison wong

Angel Diva
What would be the options to get to the Bow View village from the Calgary airport, except renting a car?

Correct, you do not need a car.

2 options as above thread mentioned:
1) Brewster bus - set schedule, has designated stops.
2) Banff Airporter - ad hoc, no set schedule, door to door.
Price wise, last time I checked (~2 yrs ago), Banff Airporter was slightly cheaper.
To be safe, please call / google both to find out.

any specials for Ikon pass holders?

Checked w/ SkiBig3, this is the coordinator's reply: "Yes, the shuttle bus is complimentary for all skiers/boarders travelling to the ski hills."

Ans. to your question, free shuttle bus from Banff town to SSV / LL / Norquay.

Link below for your reference.
Banff Shuttle schedule

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now the transportation issue in Banff is resolved - we are a small group, and have booked a rental car through Costco.
Looking forward to the Big3!

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question on the free shuttle buses from Banff to the hills. Does each hill have their dedicated buses with different stops? I have saved the schedule. Or thee is one bus, in which case, does it serve all 3 hills every day?
Also question on how to transport skis on the bus. From what I found out, there is a baggage unit on the bus as on video. Hard ski case on the shuttle bus okay?

Found a video on the SSV shuttle

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also question on how to transport skis on the bus. From what I found out, there is a baggage unit on the bus as on video. Hard ski case on the shuttle bus okay?
Don't know about Banff buses, but in general I've never seen a hard case used for a day bus. Most people don't use any kind of ski bag/case. Just have velcro straps of some kind to make sure the skis stay together. Could be either a pair of short straps (tip, tail) or a carry-strap.

Dealing with a hard case once you get to the base would be a pain.

I've used the day bus to Wintergreen, which was a full size touring bus where skis and boards were put under the bus in the luggage compartment. No ski bags. The city buses for Ski Utah just took out the interior ski racks in order to fit more people. People will hold their gear, just like they do in a tram.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Question on the free shuttle buses from Banff to the hills. Does each hill have their dedicated buses with different stops? I have saved the schedule. Or thee is one bus, in which case, does it serve all 3 hills every day?

Found a video on the SSV shuttle
Separate busses, as I recall. And no one was using a case but there were dividers (I think) underneath so it wasn't one huge pile of equipment, but many smaller piles.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tip with leaving the hard case! Looks like the bus passenger prefer to load their gear in the lower bus compartment just naked.

compartment.JPG

May be taking a spare light foldable ski bag would be a good option.

How about boots+helmet bags? are they allowed to be taken on the bus? On the photo, it looks like some people are having their helmets on.buscrowd.JPG

marzNC

Angel Diva
How about boots+helmet bags? are they allowed to be taken on the bus? On the photo, it looks like some people are having their helmets on.
The people with a helmet on probably have a small regular backpack and carry their boots loose. Can always take the helmet out if necessary when sitting down. That's what I do when flying.

What kind of boot bag do you have?

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Planning to take my High Sierra Trapezoid as it apparently is allowed by the airline as part of checked baggage (boots+helmet+goggles bag goes with the skis in hard case as one piece).

mybg.JPG

Jenny

Angel Diva
We kind of did both. Wore some of the clothes but also carried some in a boot bag. Didn’t want to get all sweaty riding the bus, so we tended to leave the outermost top layers off until we got to the ski hill. Also wore helmets partly so they wouldn’t fill up with snow and partly because it made it easier to squish the boot bag small enough for our laps. I don’t recall a ton of extra leg/lap room, but it was totally doable.

I much prefer to boot up after arrival, but DH wore his on the bus most of the days, I think.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
found the answer

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Planning to take my High Sierra Trapezoid as it apparently is allowed by the airline as part of checked baggage (boots+helmet+goggles bag goes with the skis in hard case as one piece).
Separate situation than the bus, but most Divas prefer to keep their boots with them as carry-on rather than in checked luggage. At least on the way out to start a ski trip, especially if a layover and plane change is required. That way if checked bags don't make it, they at least have boots and can simply rent some skis.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Separate situation than the bus, but most Divas prefer to keep their boots with them as carry-on rather than in checked luggage. At least on the way out to start a ski trip, especially if a layover and plane change is required. That way if checked bags don't make it, they at least have boots and can simply rent some skis.
Happened to me the first time we went to Banff, and on a non-stop flight,too, so you know they just didn’t bother to lad everything on the plane! Our skis made it, and we had boots and ski clothes in the carryons, so all I had to rent was a coat and helmet. Luckily, I knew you could do that, due to some thread here on Ski Diva.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna