• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First time water skiing

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Tried water skiing for the first time on Friday. So much fun! Our snow ski club director arranged time at a private lake with a coach/instructor. I had some difficulty starting and staying up, but boy oh boy is it fun when you get going! Felt great afterwards, but was pretty sore the next day. Thinking of doing some lessons just for fun. Friday was really only a demo with limited time.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bend your knees.
Keep your weight back.
Just do it!

You know the only thing better than having a boat? Having a friend who has a boat.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Or even better, a private lake that supplies the boat and driver. It was great! Thanks for the tips, @2ski2moro. I’m looking forward to giving it another try.

Jilly

Staff member
I started waterskiing at my aunt and uncles cottage way back when. They had an aluminum boat with a 10hp motor on it. We all did it. Over the years the boats got bigger and the skis more complex...sounds like snow skiing!! My father's boat bit the dust about 15 years ago. I hadn't skied in years. 2 years ago, at my aunts, her grandson's boat, my cousin (his uncle) driving I got up after 3 tries. In fact that day all the "old gals" got up. I tried my knee/leg (the meniscus tear one) a bit to see about a slalom try, but decided against it. Cousin actually thought I was going to try. I was just happy to get up again, so I wasn't going to push it.

It's a great way to pass a hot afternoon. Had some good falls over the years, but I'd still rather get on the planks then sit in one of those tubes!!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We had a house on a lake when I was growing up. I started water skiing at age 5 and learned to slalom a year later. Yes, I was one of those who knew how to throw up a wall of water as I cut the curves and jumped the wake. I didn't ski much after college because the boat was lost in a warehouse fire.

A few years ago, we went out with some real waterski snobs. The guy didn't want to let me ski on his 'good ski', but he 'allowed me' to ski on one of the pair of cheapies.

I must say he was shocked to see this 'old lady' skiing so well. (To tell you the truth, I was surprised, as well.) Then he let me ski on his good ski and I did even better. Heh heh. Still got it!

I tried a knee board that day, too. First time, I fell over to the right. Next time, to the left. Third time was the charm. That was really fun, too.

And the next day, my shoulders and upper back were so sore, but never let them see you sweat.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love water skiing too. I wish I had more friends with boats. :smile: When we go on beach vacations, I try to pick ones that include water skiing. Last vacation I water skied every morning! I wanted to learn how to slalom but the lagoon has crocodiles so I didn't really feel like falling in. Cancun (109)c.jpg

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
I started waterskiing at my aunt and uncles cottage way back when. They had an aluminum boat with a 10hp motor on it. We all did it. Over the years the boats got bigger and the skis more complex...sounds like snow skiing!! My father's boat bit the dust about 15 years ago. I hadn't skied in years. 2 years ago, at my aunts, her grandson's boat, my cousin (his uncle) driving I got up after 3 tries. In fact that day all the "old gals" got up. I tried my knee/leg (the meniscus tear one) a bit to see about a slalom try, but decided against it. Cousin actually thought I was going to try. I was just happy to get up again, so I wasn't going to push it.

It's a great way to pass a hot afternoon. Had some good falls over the years, but I'd still rather get on the planks then sit in one of those tubes!!
As a fellow “old gal” I was pretty happy. Awesome job, @Jilly.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
We had a house on a lake when I was growing up. I started water skiing at age 5 and learned to slalom a year later. Yes, I was one of those who knew how to throw up a wall of water as I cut the curves and jumped the wake. I didn't ski much after college because the boat was lost in a warehouse fire.

A few years ago, we went out with some real waterski snobs. The guy didn't want to let me ski on his 'good ski', but he 'allowed me' to ski on one of the pair of cheapies.

I must say he was shocked to see this 'old lady' skiing so well. (To tell you the truth, I was surprised, as well.) Then he let me ski on his good ski and I did even better. Heh heh. Still got it!

I tried a knee board that day, too. First time, I fell over to the right. Next time, to the left. Third time was the charm. That was really fun, too.

And the next day, my shoulders and upper back were so sore, but never let them see you sweat.
Oh yes, shoulders, upper back, thighs. The instructor said to me “You’re going to be sore tomorrow.” He was right.

Skiwino

Certified Ski Diva
Love water skiing too. I wish I had more friends with boats. :smile: When we go on beach vacations, I try to pick ones that include water skiing. Last vacation I water skied every morning! I wanted to learn how to slalom but the lagoon has crocodiles so I didn't really feel like falling in. View attachment 9234
Crocodiles, no thanks, but thank-you for sharing the picture.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just signed up with some local meetup.com groups that have water skiing. Fingers crossed maybe I'll get out more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna