• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First New Ski Resort to open in NA since 1980 Could Ban Snowboarders

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Did you know that there's going to be a new ski resort in Utah? And that it's probably going to ban snowboarding? The soon-to-open Mayflower Mountain, the first North American ski resort to open since 1980, is considering the possibility.

How do you feel about that? And how do you feel about snowboarder bans, in general? Right now there are only three resorts that do this: Two in Utah (Alta and Deer Valley) and one in Vermont (Mad River). What do you think?

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got a distant look at Mayflower when I was at Deer Valley a month ago. It looks pretty big. I’m an older skier, and like the feeling that the people around me have similar blind spots! My blind spot versus the average snowboarders’ blind spot are different. I never had the feeling boarders were out to get me, but reality is I have felt more endangered by bad boarders than bad skiers. Not that I want to be around either one! I have felt plenty nervous around out of control skiers!

I would also have no problem with a mountain declaring itself snowboard only. So far that doesn’t seem to be the case, though does it? And that sort of brings up the ‘why not‘ question!

Christy

Angel Diva
I wonder what the goal of that is. It's such a large development, and obviously very real estate focused--you wouldn't think they'd want to do something to deter some buyers (say if one of the kids in the family prefers to ride). Could it possibly be for the notoriety? Just to get people talking about it?

I personally would prefer to see a resort take safety seriously in one of the many many ways they could do that, than to ban snowboarders and call it good.

I watched part of the video. It's pretty unattractive IMO--it looks like all of those suburban developments that mix a mall style development with 6+ story apartments on top. Plus why so many shots of the interstate and a reservoir? Not the kind of place I'd fanaticize about vacationing.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some of the snowboard issue does involve the possibility of Deer Valley running Mayflower. https://www.kpcw.org/ski-resorts/20...nt-touts-potential-partnership-with-mayflower

As to the interstate and the reservoir, the photos might be to show it being an accessible location. Easier than going through Park City. Park City can be pretty congested even on weekdays. I am lucky when I am there to be driven around by a local friend! I would never find all the places she takes me! There is access to deer Valley across from the Jordanelle reservoir. That is where the Jordanelle gondola goes up. It is right on Highway 40. The Jordanelle lift is off on the side of the resort I might not have gotten to if I weren’t with someone who knew the mountain really well. And the Reservoir is beautiful. My friend is a racer-sailor as I am, although she’s done international competition which is way beyond me! She still races on the Jordanelle.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
For me, the joy of Mad River Glen is that it is 100% focused on the quality of the downhill… meaning ticket sales are limited, runs are never crowded and snow takes a while to get tracked out. Banning snowboarders has nothing to do with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly