• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

First flying family ski trip

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We’re heading to Revelstoke and I’ve never flown with skis/ boots etc. before and definitely not a kid and skis and ski gear.

Any tips for packing for a week of skiing when you fly?

DD has never been out of the country either. She’s 13- so can pack, carry stuff etc.

We are pretty spoiled living in Colorado and mostly just ski our home mountain. So just have to carry skis from garage to bus.

Would love any suggestions!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Some questions come to mind.

When are you heading to Canada? What month? Makes a difference in terms of temperature range.

What airline? Are you having to change planes?

Do you have a ski bag or hard case yet? What type of bootbags do you use?

The general advice is to carry on your boots, one way or another. Also good to have basic clothing on board, just in case your luggage doesn't arrive with you.

I wear my ski jacket, or at least carry it on board if it's warm when I leave home. The hardest thing to decide is what shoes to bring. For the trip I'm on right now, I had Mocs that I used as slippers, sneakers, and snow boots. Since I have a double Sportube but only travel with one pair of skis, I can tuck a few bulky items such as extra shoes or a small resort backpack in there.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you!
We’re going mid March and have direct united flights. We have two LLBean soft sided ski bags- not sure if we can fit two pairs in one- will try this weekend- we have mostly used these for nordic skis but they are supposed to work for alpine skis too. My husband and I ski rustler 10s and my daughter has some 100 underfoot Liberty skis- not sure the model.

we have one plug in boot bag and one I have no idea boot bag and a duffel bag with boot pockets.

I’m so glad you asked this because I had not thought about bags at all and not sure we have enough for three people.

marzNC

Angel Diva
we have one plug in boot bag and one I have no idea boot bag and a duffel bag with boot pockets.
My impression is that a heated boot bag probably won't fit in an overhead bin.

We have two LLBean soft sided ski bags- not sure if we can fit two pairs in one- will try this weekend-
Soft sided bags can work, as long you can carry them. I'm petite so I much prefer a ski bag/case that has wheels. I have vague memories of packing two pairs of small skis in one soft bag when my daughter was young before I bought the Sportube.

have direct united flights
Hmm, that means checking boot bags could work. Of course, would have to pay.

We’re going mid March
That gives you time to do some experimenting for the skis and boots.

sashak

Certified Ski Diva
I have only flown once with family. This summer I learned that:
1. Ski bags are not oversized, they are expected and the handlers know how to deal with them.
2. Boot bags don't count ask extra bags if you are also bringing skis, they see them as a pair. We didn't know this and packed our boots in our carry ons.
3. It is totally a mistake to think that you will easily carry ski bags and luggage on public transportation (JFK to Grand Central).... Really crazy. LOL

marzNC

Angel Diva
2. Boot bags don't count ask extra bags if you are also bringing skis, they see them as a pair. We didn't know this and packed our boots in our carry ons.
While this is true, there are very few Divas who fly who are willing to check a ski boot bag if their flight isn't non-stop. My flights from RDU always require a stop, and usually a plane change. Even though my recent flight to ABQ to ski Taos didn't require a plane change, I packed the usual way and had my boots in an overhead bin with me.

I use a boot "suitcase" that has two wheels and is a clamshell design. The boots are held in place on one side. I usually have ski pants on the other side, along with a set of base layers (shirts, long underwear). May pack a mid-layer jacket, a vest, my Hot Buns in there too. Ski socks are tucked in the boots. If I'm bringing the small boot dryer sticks, they are in the boots.

Rolling Transpack interior May 2018 - 1.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's a typical set up for me traveling solo. I happen to like a Transpack Sidekick as a boot bag. When flying it's a regular-sized backpack with all the important stuff such as my laptop and heated glove liners with lithium batteries (cannot be put in checked luggage).

A family can pack differently. For instance, my friend who traveled with two kids to Alta Lodge for spring break trips used a big suitcase for the clothes for all three of them. Since they had 3 people, that meant having potentially 6 pieces of checked bags for free on Southwest. They brought ski boots in separate boot bags that fit in the overhead bin, but not skis.

Rolling plus blue w Sportube2 Sidekick - 1.jpg

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Kuklea pretty big boot bag, it does fit in United big planes over head. But If my boot bag doesn't fit in the Over head- I "GATE" check it.. right before getting on the plane- then after the plane lands I wait in the jet way to get the bag back- I would freak if I lost my boots or they were delayed. I've never been charged to gate check since it was my 'free' carry on
I also have a United Credit card and get 1 free bag.
Have a blast! I loved Revy- we hired a guide she was a great girl that took us to wonderful trees and into the bowls. Lots of excellent restaurants in town too.. Stop by "The Village Idiot" True skiers restaurant- Lots of old ski memorabilia.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I have a boot bag that is called "go to ski" by Salomon. It fits, boots, goggles, my laptop etc. I use a single Sportube as Air Canada will not guarantee soft sided ski bags. Then I have an Atomic roller bag.

In 2020 I was supposed to be going to a competition in France (World Dragon Boat), so I bought a carry on similar to marzNC's to use then, with the plan that I could use it for skiing - boots. Haven't been on a ski trip with a plane, since I bought it.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've done 2 family ski trips with 3 kids starting when they were 6, 9, and 11. We pack all the skis in 1 ski bag, and my husbands snowboard in another. Ski boots and ski clothes go into the carry-on roller bags (we each have one). We also have 1 large suitcase with the helmets, other clothes, etc. that we check. We don't bring much in terms of clothes, because when we travel to ski, we ski open to close, and are pretty tired by the end of the day. We sometimes cook at the place we stay (in our PJ's) or go to a casual restaurant. We re-wear things a few times, but usually have access to a washer/drier somewhere in the building if needed.

It's a haul getting everything to/from the car/airport, but with carry-on backpacks as personal items, we all have 2 free hands and make it work!

Jilly

Staff member
Speaking of clothes, I agree with MsWax...they have to do double duty. Fleece/sweaters can be worn at a dinner out. I will take another coat besides my ski jacket. If you need to go for dinner a wet ski jacket is not a good thing. I leave it at home and let it dry.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While this is true, there are very few Divas who fly who are willing to check a ski boot bag if their flight isn't non-stop. My flights from RDU always require a stop, and usually a plane change. Even though my recent flight to ABQ to ski Taos didn't require a plane change, I packed the usual way and had my boots in an overhead bin with me.

I use a boot "suitcase" that has two wheels and is a clamshell design. The boots are held in place on one side. I usually have ski pants on the other side, along with a set of base layers (shirts, long underwear). May pack a mid-layer jacket, a vest, my Hot Buns in there too. Ski socks are tucked in the boots. If I'm bringing the small boot dryer sticks, they are in the boots.

View attachment 20257
I do this same setup. My boots and everything I need for a day of skiing minus my helmet. It works great!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I brought two mid-layer jackets for the current trip to Taos. I use the lighter one inside my ski jacket for cold days. So far hasn't been cold enough for the heavier one. Since I'm staying in town and not on the mountain, I've used the heavier mid-layer as a town jacket when going out to dinner in the evenings.

I spend more time making sure I have enough ski socks than clothes that aren't ski clothes when done skiing. Especially if I won't have access to a washer/dryer and the trip is more than a week.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
My base layer/mid layer with jeans and a pretty scarf is what I wear after skiing. So, I can bring a pair of jeans and a pretty wrap/scarf or two, and we’re in business!!!

PSA: It’s very important to remember deodorant.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I "GATE" check it.. right before getting on the plane- then after the plane lands I wait in the jet way to get the bag back
Any tips on picking up the gate checked luggage in the jet way? We just flew back home on United and we had to get our gate checked bag at the baggage carousel.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My base layer/mid layer with jeans and a pretty scarf is what I wear after skiing. So, I can bring a pair of jeans and a pretty wrap/scarf or two, and we’re in business!!!

PSA: It’s very important to remember deodorant.
Even more so for the 13yo middle school funk is bad. Definitely double checking everyone’s deodorant packing.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any tips on picking up the gate checked luggage in the jet way? We just flew back home on United and we had to get our gate checked bag at the baggage carousel.
I think this just depends on the airport you are landing at. Denver never does bags on the jetway - but SFO and SJC always seem to. At least from when I used to fly between them a lot for work.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Even more so for the 13yo middle school funk is bad. Definitely double checking everyone’s deodorant packing.
yes… I can confirm this. AND relative to his peers, my son has great hygiene. There was a moment last fall on the soccer sideline OUTSIDE, where i almost passed out talking to a teammate of his.
:rotf:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just wait by the door (to the outside) on the jet way- Don't go into the terminal the baggage guys bring it right back to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna