• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fire nears lift at Sierra at Tahoe!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We were planning to visit the Tahoe area in 3 weeks and I cancelled our trip because of the fire.
It's so sad as late September is the very best time to be in Tahoe for hiking, biking, lack of crowds, etc.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is pretty unique: Snow blowers were being used at Sierra at Tahoe to spray water onto a huge propane tank and the main lodge building, which was spared from the Caldor fire Sunday night.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This is pretty unique: Snow blowers were being used at Sierra at Tahoe to spray water onto a huge propane tank and the main lodge building, which was spared from the Caldor fire Sunday night.
I just saw this on the news. They said the snowblowers saved the resort as the fire raged through it. SLT is completely evacuated. It's terrible but I'm so glad Sierra at Tahoe was saved. Some worry about Kirkwood too.

newboots

Angel Diva
I guess it's time to pay attention to climate change. :cry::cry: Wish we got the hint a lot earlier. When I entered college in 1971, we had composting, recycling, and ecological studies. The beginnings of homemade solar power. But nobody listened to a bunch of hippies up in Vermont. :cry:

The point: "It could have been otherwise," to quote Jane Kenyon.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A little too close to home for me...

My son has worked there, several winters (although not last winter). He also lived in South Lake Tahoe for at least 4 years, now is living sandwiched between the Tamarack and Caldor fires. He was evacuated from the Tamarack fire. He is now in the process of helping friends in SLT evacuate. I have not heard from him in days.
Mom worries....

He predicted, at least 10 days ago, the Sierra-at-Tahoe was in harm's way - and that if the fire crested that ridge, it would rage towards South Lake Tahoe. There are only 2 2-lane roads out of there now.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
The fires in California are tragic. Interesting that they used the snow guns to fight the fires at Sierra-at-Tahoe. I am seriously worried about Kirkwood — my favorite ski place. The beauty around that area is just spectacular. All of Tahoe really is a treasure. My heart hurts. Here’s a quote from an online article about the fires at Sierra-at-Tahoe:

Scenes like those that played out at Sierra-at-Tahoe are also becoming the bizarre normal of life in the era of climate change. Turkish and Greek beachgoers had a front-row seat to explosive wildfires there recently, smoke-filled skies have been the backdrop for tourist photos in Australia during the 2019-20 bushfire season, and the list goes on.

It reinforces what the recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report made clear: Nowhere is safe as long as we keep burning fossil fuels.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I have been obsessively following the fires in California — especially the Caldor fire. A Diva I met on here and have skied with several times, lives in South Lake Tahoe near the “Y”. I am worried about her gorgeous home. I’m sure she has evacuated and hope she’s in a non-smoky safe place. Latest seems to be that Kirkwood is in real danger. Hate to see the gorgeous Sierras burn. Hard to take.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Do not look at the following site if consuming this type of information bothers you… it bothers me, and I should not look at it, but I also like to know.

I looked at the US gov’t fire and smoke map and it made me sad:
https://fire.airnow.gov/

I showed the 7th grader and listened to his take - which was intelligent and considerate. I would have loved to NOT show him, but if the future belongs to our kids, I think they need to know what they will need to tackle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly