• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Favorite Vermont MTB Trails?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm lucky to be able to spend the summer in the Green Mountain State and I'll have my hard-tail 29er with me. I'll be closest to the Ascutney Trails and also plan to get up to East Burke to spend time on the Kingdom Trails. Does anyone have other favorite intermediate-ish trails that you'd recommend?

I'd also like to give downhill a try. I actually bought a full-face helmet recently because the one thing holding me back from trying downhill was the "ick" factor of a rented helmet. I notice that Okemo has some short, easy trails that I could probably do on my hardtail. I'd like to skip the lift and just ride uphill on the big open ski area and then take the bike trails down, if they allow that.

I'm thinking about renting a true DH bike and taking a DH lesson at Sunapee, but I'd love any recommendations for a good place for a beginner.

Thanks!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I love Kingdom Trails...I try to get up there at least one weekend a year. I'll generally do one downhill, lift access day at Burke, and then a day on Kingdom Trails. I think Burke is a great place to start downhill (though I can't speak for their instruction, as I haven't taken any lessons with them). The majority of their trails are pretty mellow, and beginner friendly. Looking at a map it doesn't look like a lot of trails, but I find there's enough to keep you entertained. I've heard good things about Mt. Snow, I've never been, but hoping to plan a trip out there this summer.

I've never ridden anywhere else in VT, but if you're in the Ascutney, VT area, then you're not too far from NH...there's some XC trails at the Franklin Falls Dam in Franklin, NH that I really enjoy. Then there's Highland Mtn that often ranks with the top MTB parks in the US, and I've heard really good things about their instruction. Highland is more geared towards freeriding (smooth tracks, jumps, banked turns, etc) and less toward "downhill" (natural courses with roots and rocks).

Check out NEMBA.org. They have quite a few trails to explore, and they are generally very well maintained.

I don't mountain bike but last summer loved the concept of chair up and bike down so went downhill mountain biking for the first time and had a blast. Mount Snow is one of my ski mountains in the winter and they have a pretty nice downhill mountain bike set up. They have several trails along with available clinics for different abilities. Plus its nice to take the chair up to the top to take in the views and have a beer at the Bull Wheel. They also have some non lift served mountain biking if you just want to mountain bike. I have never been but Killington also has what seems like a decently sized downhill setup, way bigger than mount snow. I've heard good things about Burke also.

I am looking forward to getting to mount snow next month to start my downhill mountain biking for the summer.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went for a MTB ride at the fabulous Ascutney Trail system yesterday. I'm sure you northeast Divas know Mt. Ascutney. At first I was shocked to pull up to the trailhead and see the terribly sad, dilapidated remains of the old ski area. But what an amazing example of a community coming together to expand outdoor opportunities and revitalize their region after the closure of the resort. The trail system is spectacular. The community has also built a free rope tow and purchased grooming equipment so that three ski trails will be available free to anyone who wants to learn to ski. They even have plans to open a chairlift! One of many, many reasons I love visiting Vermont!
Here's a story on the rope tow:
https://mountaintimes.info/skiing-returns-to-its-roots-at-mt-ascutney/

Here are some pics of the base area. The last picture is of the new rope tow.

upload_2016-6-14_18-51-8.png
upload_2016-6-14_18-50-6.png upload_2016-6-14_18-52-22.png upload_2016-6-14_18-53-52.png

Pretty cool. My boss used to ski there back in the day. Going to swing by there this summer. Nice pictures!!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see trails. :cry:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Went for a MTB ride at the fabulous Ascutney Trail system yesterday. I'm sure you northeast Divas know Mt. Ascutney. At first I was shocked to pull up to the trailhead and see the terribly sad, dilapidated remains of the old ski area. But what an amazing example of a community coming together to expand outdoor opportunities and revitalize their region after the closure of the resort. The trail system is spectacular. The community has also built a free rope tow and purchased grooming equipment so that three ski trails will be available free to anyone who wants to learn to ski. They even have plans to open a chairlift! One of many, many reasons I love visiting Vermont!
Here's a story on the rope tow:
https://mountaintimes.info/skiing-returns-to-its-roots-at-mt-ascutney/

Here are some pics of the base area. The last picture is of the new rope tow.

View attachment 5652
View attachment 5651 View attachment 5654 View attachment 5655
SallyCat, what are the trails like there? How would you describe/rate them?
What kind of hardtail 29'er do you have? ;-)

Soujan

Angel Diva
I'll be at NEMBAfest this weekend! First time at Kingdom Trails.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@vanhoskier I'm an intermediate biker with not much to compare except the Nockamixon trail system in PA, but the Ascutney system is a gorgeous mix of meadows and woods and the climbs are sometimes longer than I'm used to, but that's down to lack of fitness. There are some really fun flowy intermediate-level singletracks that are not too technical; I haven't tried the black trails yet. I actually like the "Swoops and Loops" beginner loop over at the state park entrance; it's a nicely varied 3.5 miles with some jumps and confidence-building flowy descents; it's been great for a quick cardio blast or a couple of laps working on skills. I'll be exploring further afield over the course of the summer.

My bike is a 2015 steel Charge Cooker 3; bit of an oddball choice, but it's what I could afford and I really like it. I demoed a Trek Fuel 8 full suspension 27.5 for a day recently, and though it was fun, I was glad to get back on the 29er. The full suspension was a blast on the pump track, but it felt slow and squishy on trails and I didn't feel any real benefit to the smaller tires that would override the benefits of the 29er on climbs and rocks/roots. The only thing I realized after being on the Trek was how great a dropper post is, so I ordered one for the Cooker.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@vanhoskier I'm an intermediate biker with not much to compare except the Nockamixon trail system in PA, but the Ascutney system is a gorgeous mix of meadows and woods and the climbs are sometimes longer than I'm used to, but that's down to lack of fitness. There are some really fun flowy intermediate-level singletracks that are not too technical; I haven't tried the black trails yet. I actually like the "Swoops and Loops" beginner loop over at the state park entrance; it's a nicely varied 3.5 miles with some jumps and confidence-building flowy descents; it's been great for a quick cardio blast or a couple of laps working on skills. I'll be exploring further afield over the course of the summer.

My bike is a 2015 steel Charge Cooker 3; bit of an oddball choice, but it's what I could afford and I really like it. I demoed a Trek Fuel 8 full suspension 27.5 for a day recently, and though it was fun, I was glad to get back on the 29er. The full suspension was a blast on the pump track, but it felt slow and squishy on trails and I didn't feel any real benefit to the smaller tires that would override the benefits of the 29er on climbs and rocks/roots. The only thing I realized after being on the Trek was how great a dropper post is, so I ordered one for the Cooker.
Those trails sound awesome. Swoopy and loopy and confidence-building are about my speed on mountain bike trails. :-) I just got a new bike: A Yeti ARC 29'er. Super light, and only 1 chainring in front which I love. I agree that full suspensions feel squishy and they suck all my energy away on climbs. Enjoy the VT trails this summer!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna