• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Favorite non-skiing sports movies?

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So my husband has been popping in mountain bike flicks the last week or so, and it got me wondering....what's everyone's favorite non-skiing related sports movies? What gets you psyched? Give some good recommendations!

Personal faves
Mtn Biking: Seasons. This movie just captures the essence of why we do what we do. Beautifully made and super entertaining.

Road biking: The 2003 Tour de France: every one of the Tours stands out in some way, but so much craziness happened this year. It was a nail biter.

Climbing: Front Range Freaks. Great climbing and some awesome humor.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I just watched "Stick It" with my daughter. Not my favorite, by any account, but it was a good teenage "Sport/Chick Flick." Find a 13 year old and watch it with them.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a baseball fan, but I really like "The Natural" with Robert Redford and Glen Close.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The "even-grown-men-will-weep" fantasy movie that "pretends" to be about baseball:

"Field of Dreams"

---------
People will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.
---------

Last 3 words in the credits: For Our Parents.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Bend It Like Beckham" is one of my favorites. I found it personally affirming ... not because my parents disallowed my participation in sports, because they were very supportive, but that whole scene that juxtaposed the one sister's starring role in her wedding with the other's starring role in her soccer game: that was quite powerful to me. (I've been in both roles, believe it or not, and you can guess which one was my favorite, by far. Not that I don't like being married, but the wedding, not so much...)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
(Omg, this is a great thread!)

BASEBALL: “A League of Their Own” (1992) - about 2 sisters and the first female professional baseball league during World War 2. Great performances by Geena Davis, Rosie O’Donnell, Madonna.

BOXING: “Rocky” (1976) - The first. The best. Sylvester Stallone. Won Academy award for best picture. Cue the music.

PRO FOOTBALL: “Heaven Can Wait” (1978) - Warren Beatty co-wrote, produced and directed this gem, a fantasy/sports pic about “destiny.” Watch the real-life-couple chemistry between Beatty and Julie Christie. “You must be the quarterback!” 7 Oscar nominations.

OLYMPIC HOCKEY: “Miracle” (2004) “What America needed was a miracle. What it got was a hockey game.” Stellar, intense performance by Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks, coach of the 1980 men’s Olympic hockey team - a true story and great memory for any/all who remember it.

BOXING: “Raging Bull” (1980) - tour de force performance by Robert DeNiro as Jake La Motta. Black and white early brilliance by director Martin Scorsese, won 2 Oscars. Arguably Scorsese’s best work.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: “Rudy” (1993) Sean Astin gives a heart-warming performance as the kid too small for Notre Dame football. Great ending.

PRO FOOTBALL: “Brian’s Song” (made for tv, 1971, often on HBO etc) The real-life relationship between Chicago Bears teammates Brian Piccolo and Gayle Sayers. Won 3 Emmys. (my dad cried at this one)

BASEBALL:“The Pride of the Yankees” (1942) Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig, who played 2130 games before succumbing to ALS at the age of 37. Another brilliant performance. 10 Oscar nominations.

(Have to add a classic ski movie...sorry...)
OLYMPIC SKIING: “Downhill Racer” (1969) An understated, good performance by Robert Redford, co-starring Gene Hackman as the coach - incredible action footage, mega-retro equipment - enjoy

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'll second Miracle, that was great.

Hollywood has put out a number of decent true life stories. I can't think of the title of the one about guy who brought the first team of black players into the NBA, that was very well done.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love League of Their Own, too.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a friend who played second base in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League for Minnesota. She jokes that only Madonna could have played her part. Audrey is 84 years young. I would post a photo of her baseball card if I could figure out how. Gimme a minute.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have tons I like - some are cheesy and some are less so - and of course, some are more romantic comedies with a sports setting and some are Disney-fied real life stories! Also, I inevitably love the hilarious "tryout" scenes in even the cheesiest of "sports" flicks...

Here's a lengthy list:

Chariots of Fire (Woot - the best!)
Remember the Titans
The Rookie
Personal Best (awesome scene running up sand dunes)
We are Marshall
The Cutting Edge
The Replacements
Ice Castles (the original sports rom-com)
Invincible
The Natural, Field of Dreams, A League of Their Own
Tin Cup
Breaking Away
Bring It On
(sort of sports movie) The River Wild
Downhill Racer
VisionQuest
Bend It Like Beckham

And last but not least, I still remember some mini series aired in the early 80s (I think) about the "first Modern Olympics" - no idea what it was called but had David Caruso in it and had 2, maybe 3 parts to it... and I had it VCRed and watched it at least 4 times before it got wiped clean ... :ROTF:

I'll stop as I am both dating myself and embarrassing myself! A killer double whammy...:eek:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Mom - was that the series where the Americans guessed at the size of the shot put and discus based on their reading and had them way wrong? The same one where the one guy leading the band looked happy everytime they played the National Anthem, but everyone else was sick of it? If so, we must be the same age . . .

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes - that was the one - the Americans looked confused every time the "anthem" was played and a bunch of athletes passed out from drinking ouzo during the marathon! I have no idea why I liked that mini series, but for some reason I did.

Almost forgot - the first time they trained together and all stripped totally down because all their research showed the ancient olympic athletes in the buff. LOL
:p

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like amercian football movies the most ...
Jerry Maguire
The Waterboy
Varsity Blues
Remember the Titans
Any Given Sunday
The Replacements
and any other AF related movie I can't remeber the title ...

seebirdski

Diva in Training
A League of Their Own, definitely.
Blue Crush, a female driven surfing flick, I loved it, but everyone I come across says it's corny.

And if you're interested in sport related television shows as well as movies, Friday Night Lights is AMAZING.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly