• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Favorite Narrow-Waisted Skis (below 80 mm)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have zero knowledge of narrow skis but am curious what kind of conditions you were skiing? I'm assuming you are referring to narrow skis for eastern conditions, right?

I picked up a pair of Jr. Racetigers this off season. I expect to ski them early season until there's a base on the mountain?

I haven't demoed any women's carving skis in forever, but I did really love the Volkl Charisma back in the day when I tried them.

I really liked them, too. I think I demoed them in 2013?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I picked up a pair of Jr. Racetigers this off season. I expect to ski them early season until there's a base on the mountain?

Eeeeee!!!! I'm excited to see what you think of them.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For people who are small enough to pull them off, I'm a big fan of junior race skis. Granted, I purposely bought mine specifically for race clinic, but my Head SL skis are a lot of fun. I skied them for most of last season rather than my Yumis. Only downside is you can't demo race skis, although I didn't notice a big difference in how the skis felt/skied between my old Fischer GS and my current Head SL, other than the SL skis are turnier.

I have always wanted to get onto a pair of Junior race skis. Are special race plates required or could I find a used pair with bindings already mounted?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have always wanted to get onto a pair of Junior race skis. Are special race plates required or could I find a used pair with bindings already mounted?

I've never seen junior race skis without the race plates included, either used or new, and used junior race skis are almost always sold with the bindings. My only warning is junior race skis can take a real beating so be careful in buying used. The first pair I purchased was off eBay, a pair of Volkl Racetigers, and I just thought I couldn't ski race skis b/c there was just something so off about them. Turns out they were totally dead; there was no rebound left them to them. I'm assuming they were either fully or close to being fully decambered at that point. Since then I've only purchased new myself. Both new pairs I purchased came with the race plates already attached to the ski and so I just had to buy the corresponding race bindings and have them mounted to the race plates.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I ordered mine with bindings mounted. I think they were also sold with just the race plates. Buying used is hit or miss...someone like me is not going to ski the crap out of a junior ski!

Eeeeee!!!! I'm excited to see what you think of them.

:becky: I haven't skied anything this skinny since before 2000 (I think my old Nordicas were in the 70s underfoot?), so this should be interesting!

SkiBig0983

Diva in Training
I love my Head IRally in a 163 for short turns or anywhere on the mountain really. Also my Head wc rebel ispeed in a 170 if I just want to tear down the mountain.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I ordered mine with bindings mounted. I think they were also sold with just the race plates. Buying used is hit or miss...someone like me is not going to ski the crap out of a junior ski!

:becky: I haven't skied anything this skinny since before 2000 (I think my old Nordicas were in the 70s underfoot?), so this should be interesting!
If you’re talking about the Victory I believe they were 78.

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
I took out my partner’s full camber Fischer RC4 (74 underfoot) last season. While we ski mostly Tahoe / west coast, they were unparalleled on icy bumps and groomers. I think they are more of a slalom ski - they definitely ski you if you’re not making the turns it wants. He even calls them his “powder skis” because he happily skis them in all conditions. :smile: (They are the only ones he owns)

I wasn’t much of a narrow ski person before that but now I am curious and looking to add a dedicated frontside carver to my quiver. Particularly looking at Kastle’s LX or MX offerings - anyone have experiences with those to speak to?

And I know the original thread ask was focused on east coast skis but what is an ideal width for a west coast frontside carver, and how much that would differ from an east coast option?

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
I bought last year’s (unused) Atomic Cloud 9s on sale at great price. No demo. I know. I was worried maybe I’d made a mistake but I’ve taken them out and they are awesome on hard pack and ice. I feel like a rockstar. They definitely allow me to ski conditions I wouldn’t feel comfortable in on the Yumis. I am very glad I bought them. They give me a lot of confidence. And they’re pretty fun too. :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been hanging on waiting to replace my old mid-fat Black Pearl 88's, but also toying with the idea of getting a true carver. I found a good deal on the Fischer My Curv's and pulled the trigger.

The sidecut is 121/68/10, and I got them in the 164cm length. This is longer, narrower, and stiffer than any ski I've been on in many years. I was a little nervous but found them quickly found them to be stable and responsive, fast and fun.

They come with RC4 Z11 Powerrail system bindings. They're definitely the right ski for groomed runs, but they have a tip rocker so I'm curious how much snow is too much.

marzNC

Angel Diva
And I know the original thread ask was focused on east coast skis but what is an ideal width for a west coast frontside carver, and how much that would differ from an east coast option?
Snow conditions between east and west are quite different. What is called "icy" in the Rockies or CA is not the "blue ice" of New England. Most recreational skiers seem pretty happy with 80-90mm in the west for groomers, not 70-80mm that's common in the northeast or midwest. At least that's my impression for reading about the midwest (MI, MN, WI, IN, OH). It's the only U.S. region I've not skied in . . . yet.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

Bumping up this thread. My beloved Renoun Z-77's have bit the dust, so I'm looking for up-to-date suggestions on skis between 75 and 80 underfoot. Or don't they make these anymore (that isn't a race ski)?

Last edited:

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:

Bumping up this thread. My beloved Renoun Z-77's have bit the dust, so I'm looking for up-to-date suggestions on skis between 75 and 80 underfoot. Or don't they make these anymore (that isn't a race ski)?
I feel like I'm always talking about the same few skis but I LOVE my Atomic Redster X9 WB which is 75mm underfoot and I know there's a few other ladies on here that also own and enjoy them (I personally have the 2020 version) however they have since been replaced by the new Redster Q line as of this year. I believe the Q9 is the new replacement for the X9 WB. There's also the Q9.8 that is in the mid-80s I believe. Their construction has some race ski influence but they aren't true race skis despite the Redster name.

I've also always been really intrigued by the Blizzard Thunderbird R15 WB which is 75 underfoot and have heard great things, but I've never personally skied them. Ski Essentials awhile ago did a really nice in depth review of them:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like I'm always talking about the same few skis but I LOVE my Atomic Redster X9 WB which is 75mm underfoot and I know there's a few other ladies on here that also own and enjoy them (I personally have the 2020 version) however they have since been replaced by the new Redster Q line as of this year. I believe the Q9 is the new replacement for the X9 WB. There's also the Q9.8 that is in the mid-80s I believe. Their construction has some race ski influence but they aren't true race skis despite the Redster name.

I've also always been really intrigued by the Blizzard Thunderbird R15 WB which is 75 underfoot and have heard great things, but I've never personally skied them. Ski Essentials awhile ago did a really nice in depth review of them:

That looks really interesting! Thanks!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I lived in the northeast, I'd be very tempted to seriously consider the Stöckli Laser SC, 72 underfoot, turn radius around 12 at the length that works for me (lengths 149, 156, 163, 170). My Massanutten coach has had them for years. Have seen quite a few Laser SC at Taos. Demo'd them once in the MidA. They were quite fun.
I bought these last season at 163. Haven't spent time on them yet, but looking forward to it.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....I wasn’t much of a narrow ski person before that but now I am curious and looking to add a dedicated frontside carver to my quiver. Particularly looking at Kastle’s LX or MX offerings - anyone have experiences with those to speak to?
For years my daily driver was Kastle MX 78. I think it was 161 in length. It was a bit stiff, but at my weight (145-155) they bent just fine. Their hold on hard snow is undeniable. They never felt stiff nor inhibiting of any kind of skiing I wanted to do. I used them in bumps too, not just hard groomed snow. Loved them. At this point there is not enough base left to do a full stone grind, which involves three passes on the machine. I can probably make a few runs on them if I need to, but honestly I should probably just euthanize them.

I also have a pair of MX83s that I haven't yet skied. I can't say anything about them yet. I have never skied any of the LX skis.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stockli hype is real, I really want the Laser CX "Orea" 69 underfoot.
The Laser SC was nice-for me it felt stiffer than other stockli's and like to be at speed to perform well.
And there is a ladies laser MX, 67 under foot
And the Montero AX 80 under foot is dreamy ski, what a ski everyone skis like a hero on them.
Blizzard Phoenix R14 was a great ride for east coast snow too, 69 under foot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly