• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Falling Behind?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots,
Some time back while following faster and more seasoned skiers in my ski club, I fell backwards and saw stars. It took me a bit of time to get my head working right so I could stand up and get my gear straightened out, and rejoin the people I was following who were watching me and waiting quite a way ahead of me. (They never asked me how I was ... a reason I left that ski club.)

Months later at the end of that season I was putting my gear away and took a close look inside my helmet. It was cracked, badly. The two halves were barely being held together by a little sliver of material. All season I'd been wearing that thing like that, and didn't know it.

Lesson learned: any time I take a hit to the head (rare now) I examine the inside of the helmet for cracks. Helmets are disposable. Hope you heal fast.

Last edited:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
OMG, @liquidfeet - that is scary! I'm checking all of our helmets today. I'm so glad you didn't fall again!

"I fell twice today - once in the lift line (duh!) when I skied into the singles lane, which was very narrow, and caught a ski on one of the posts. Double eject!" - Yikes! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the rest of your day!

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks, @liquidfeet and @Lmk92 !

I am okay today, other than the usual stiffness and minor aches and pains here and there. (And of course, my thumb!)

I skied this morning for an hour and a half (it's snowing on Killington, and even here in the valley at the moment). A new helmet and goggles with the little fan are in the budget for next season, but I'll take a very good look at my current helmet right now.

I met a guy on the hill today who told me about getting hit last year, on a weekday when the trail was empty, on the headwall of Superstar. WFT? He said it opened his chest, bruised his heart, broke a few ribs, and damaged a kidney. He was hospitalized, of course, and down for the count for six weeks. He said he has 80 days in this year. Wow?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ouch! So glad you're finding your courage, though!

I fell twice today - once in the lift line (duh!) when I skied into the singles lane, which was very narrow, and caught a ski on one of the posts. Double eject!

Then again, making a tight turn at the end of the day, tired. Banged my head, shoulder, and a knee or two. Most everything feels more or less okay now, but I'm wondering if it's really time to replace that helmet. Not its first banger.

ACK! Glad you're OK after all that!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @liquidfeet and @Lmk92 !

I am okay today, other than the usual stiffness and minor aches and pains here and there. (And of course, my thumb!)

I skied this morning for an hour and a half (it's snowing on Killington, and even here in the valley at the moment). A new helmet and goggles with the little fan are in the budget for next season, but I'll take a very good look at my current helmet right now.

I met a guy on the hill today who told me about getting hit last year, on a weekday when the trail was empty, on the headwall of Superstar. WFT? He said it opened his chest, bruised his heart, broke a few ribs, and damaged a kidney. He was hospitalized, of course, and down for the count for six weeks. He said he has 80 days in this year. Wow?

I did not need to hear it was snowing!!! I was just about to post that I am accepting this as the end of my season. I washed and waterproofed three ski jackets and packed up most gear today. Seeing that only the main mountain at Okemo was still open helped, too. On the positive side, someone is coming with a surveyor to look at the boat that is for sale. That's Friday's plan.

Ursula

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"My husband feels no fear and gets impatient with people who do."
Would you PLEASE send him to Big Sky? I am sure I will be able to fix him!!!! First time he is staring down into a rocky outcrop on a 40° to 50° slope, I can promise you, his perception of fear will change. :D
We all have a fear threshold, his is just a little higher than yours, EAVL.
But with the right coaching, you CAN push your threshold up too. Just because we pitch the mountain into a steeper angle does not mean we have to go faster. It is all about learning to turn the legs BEFORE we dig the edges in.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've had a setback as well. I was run into and injured last July at Mammoth. The injury is improving though not totally healed, but I have become very afraid of being run into. Thus I am spending more time checking behind me than actually skiing.

@Ursula I need to come to Big Sky and ski some empty slopes.

My slowness led my DH to tell me that I am no longer capable of skiing. As you can imagine, this was not a confidence builder. I almost don't want to ski and I definitely don't want to ski with him.

Ironically, I just got a pair of Renouns and I really enjoyed them when I skied alone on a weekday last week. But since then I seem to really be regressing. I am afraid of everything, and this attitude is also invading other pieces of my life.

I have a few weeks left in this season and hope to do some skiing alone or with a girlfriend. I hope I can regain some of my confidence so I feel better at the start of next season.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've had a setback as well. I was run into and injured last July at Mammoth. The injury is improving though not totally healed, but I have become very afraid of being run into. Thus I am spending more time checking behind me than actually skiing.

@Ursula I need to come to Big Sky and ski some empty slopes.

My slowness led my DH to tell me that I am no longer capable of skiing. As you can imagine, this was not a confidence builder. I almost don't want to ski and I definitely don't want to ski with him.

Ironically, I just got a pair of Renouns and I really enjoyed them when I skied alone on a weekday last week. But since then I seem to really be regressing. I am afraid of everything, and this attitude is also invading other pieces of my life.

I have a few weeks left in this season and hope to do some skiing alone or with a girlfriend. I hope I can regain some of my confidence so I feel better at the start of next season.
Wow, that comment/attitude isn't very supportive. Hope you can find a way off-season to figure out a strategy for dealing with the fear (and the spouse!) so next season starts off on a positive note.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

How did you know, as I was out walking yesterday and enjoying the ocean view, I was still thinking it would be nice to have a place in Vermont, too. Unfortunately I am not in that financial category! And not ready to give up sailboat racing for a few more years I think. But it’s a really nice idea! So you get me from December to April in Vermont!

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I told my husband that in 3 years when he retires we should just buy his mom’s house outside of Stowe and move up there so we can ski all the time. She is currently Airbnbing it throughout the winter. I hate to be moving back to DC. For some reason, I feel done with that stage of my life and want to bring my kids back to New England.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am married to Captain Awesome Ski Man and gave birth to his sidekick, the Evanator, who is now 9 years old, fearless, and frankly, amazing. Both make it look exceptionally easy on the most challenging terrain. I didn't start skiing until I was 30, and have been at it for a dozen years now, though I only get about 10 days a year at most.

In 2016, I had been exercising diligently, lost about 30 lbs and felt amazing. About halfway through our trip, I had my best ski day ever - I crushed a bowl that had always scared the everliving hell out of me, and actually sought out bump runs without being dragged into them like I usually am. We met our friends for apres ski, I had one glass of wine, and walked with my son in town to find a hat for him. It had been a warm, sunny day in town, and the sidewalks were dry. Except where they'd frozen in invisible black ice I didn't see. I slipped and my feet went out from under me, and I hit the back of my head on the pavement. I have little recollection of the next few hours, though I was conscious and talking, its a total blackout. I "came to" in the ER and had apparently already had a CT and other x-rays. The concussion didn't have a bleed, but it still consumed the next six months to a year of my life while I dealt with anxiety, insomnia, vertigo, depression, headaches, poor concentration, etc....basically every textbook symptom you can have. I stopped exercising, was either wide awake in the middle of the night or utterly exhausted all day, and started taking anti-depressants. Eventually I started to improve, but it was a very long road.

We returned for our annual trip in 2017, and I honestly think I had PTSD. Walking in town was terrifying to me. I clutched Captain Awesome for dear life. Skiing was another story. I had no desire to push myself like I had. I met up with my favorite ski instructor for a lesson - the same one who skied with me on my best day ever the year before. And I couldn't get down an easy un-groomed run (no bumps, just soft, fluffy lumps). I totally choked.

This year was a little better. Still freaked out walking in town at the beginning of the trip, and could not for the life of me get down a mogul run, but eventually, after a great snow storm, I found my ski legs. I didn't strive for the big terrain, but I did seek out some bumps here and there on runs where I could bail if I felt I needed to get out. Hopefully next year will be even better. Captain Awesome and his Sidekick would ski with me a few runs, then take some laps on some other terrain without me, and we'd meet at the restaurant or lift line. It seemed to work out well for all of us, giving me a break and keeping them from getting bored.

I know its (mostly) in my head, and have yet to find the magic trick to get out of my own way. I tried to practice my instructor friend's philosophy of taking three times to truly ski a new run - the first to just get your bearings, second to find the good stuff, and third to actually ride the good stuff. It seemed to help a little bit.

Just wanted to really let you know you aren't alone in the backslide. It happens to many of us.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Blondeinabmw Don't worry about your ski skills--they'll come back. The head game can be your worst enemy, but I think your confidence will continue to improve. Take good care of yourself, and that includes getting good grippy-soled winter shoes and working out. I hope you report back that you feel amazing again. :hug:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna