• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Fall Colors 2015

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got any pictures of fall colors to share? I'll start off the thread with a few from the NY Adirondacks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
On top of Whiteface Mountain. Got there the easy way by driving up the road, which is open until Oct. 12. The elevator and Nature Trail to the summit were closed due to ice! But I was lucky and found the top section of the trail that starts near the Toll Booth.

Looking towards Lake Placid (the lake, not the town) at the end of the road
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 1.jpg
It was cold! Car said 32 degrees. The wind was definitely from the north.
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 2.jpg

Looking towards the summit from above The Slides
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 3.jpg
Looking at Whiteface ski areas
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 4.jpg

View from Whiteface Mountain road, looking north towards Canada
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 5.jpg

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Basic pics. I only had a point-and-shoot camera.

Looking at Whiteface trails from the access road to the main base
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 6.jpg

Near Monument Falls, which is between Whiteface and Lake Placid
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 7.jpg

View of North Country School from a hilltop called Trouble. Bobsled run at Mount Van Hoevenberg in top right
LP Fall Colors 01Oct2015 -  - 8.jpg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Ooh, the fall colors are lovely.... we don't get that in Santa Cruz!!! But we do have the ocean!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I haven't been able to hike but I did get out for some nice geocaching drives and bike rides. Sadly I forgot my camera for the drives and it's way too big to carry on my road bike! So just little lousy camera pictures.

Lynx Creek:
DSC_0162.JPG

Tapay Road:
DSC_0152.JPG

Sartoris Rd:
DSC_0160.JPG

St. Mary's River Valley:
DSC_0170.JPG

St. Mary's River:
DSC_0171.JPG

Beautiful pictures.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A lot of areas have webpages about the status of fall colors. The one for NY is updated weekly on Wed so people can decide where to go the following weekend. Going to be good where I'm driving today. Driving during the early change seems better than late because the trees near the 2-lane roads tend to change first. The last time I was in the Adirondacks in the fall was a week or two later in Oct and most of the leaves had fallen already around the road into Lake Placid.

Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 8.03.58 AM.png

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After being in SoCal for almost 5 years, I'm so happy to live where there are 4 seasons again! Fall was always a favorite of mine except winter in VA and OH were not my favorites since the skiing, frankly, sucked compared to what we were used to in Tahoe. Now that we live where fall is fall and fantastic skiing is soon to come, I love fall even more!
I've been mountain biking a lot and have actually taken the time to stop to take pics lately.

Powder Mountain trails last weekend:
12039390_10208057048650346_4693014147916182275_n.jpg
12046604_10208057047850326_4516306768744547034_n.jpg
12079222_10208057043210210_3656513695922604906_n.jpg
12063369_10208057056930553_2224968220753047210_n.jpg

This one is taken from the Powder Mountain trail, that's Snowbasin there off in the distance. You can see a sliver of the great Salt Lake off to the right, WAY off in the distance.

@contesstant gorgeous pictures. I lived in SoCal for 15 years and while I loved living 2 blocks from the ocean and went to the mountains to snowboard/ski I missed the day to day living in 4 seasons. Glad I get to experience that again.

Christy

Angel Diva
@contesstant , that first one in your first post is awesome...there is something surreal about it.

The elevator and Nature Trail to the summit

Okay, I gotta ask. Elevator?

I am going on my annual "larch weekend" hiking trip (just to the NE Cascades to hike while the larches are turning) this weekend. Our new dog is not trail ready yet so my husband is staying home on dog duty so I can go. Aww...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant , that first one in your first post is awesome...there is something surreal about it.

I am going on my annual "larch weekend" hiking trip (just to the NE Cascades to hike while the larches are turning) this weekend. Our new dog is not trail ready yet so my husband is staying home on dog duty so I can go. Aww...

It's amazing the kinds of shots you can get with a phone these days. I like that one, too. It actually halfway captured what I was actually seeing.

@marzNC As you know Hurricane Joachin is making its way up the east coast so not sure where you will be in your journey back down south in relation to it. Here in CT its rainy and chilly. Drive safe and be careful and all of that stuff.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm currently in the middle of Eastern Ontario, aka north of 7. I really think colours will be better next weekend. Still a lot of yellows and not much red. I'll get some pics tomorrow as I need to do a dump run.

And next weekend is a long one.....Thanksgiving!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC As you know Hurricane Joachin is making its way up the east coast so not sure where you will be in your journey back down south in relation to it. Here in CT its rainy and chilly. Drive safe and be careful and all of that stuff.
I did a little hike near Lake Placid this morning before heading south. Only thin clouds so it was bright enough for nice colors. There is a little hill called Owl's Head just south of Cascade Lakes that has great views after a 15 min hike up. Quite a change heading back to I-87 compared to a week ago when I drove north.

Didn't start to rain until I got into PA. Drove longer today so that I'm in no rush tomorrow. I know it will be raining in VA and NC.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The history of the NY Adirondack Park is pretty fascinating. The elevator near the top of Whiteface was built in the 1930s, after the toll road was constructed. Franklin Roosevelt was Governor of NY when the toll road finally was approved and construction started. He was President by the time the toll road was dedicated. In his dedication speech, he mentioned it would be nice to have an elevator for those who couldn't make the walk from the end of the road to the summit. The elevator was completed few years later. It's pretty amazing. There is a 424 ft tunnel carved into the granite to get to the elevator. The elevator holds about a dozen people and is 276 ft (about 27 stories).

Found a webpage written for kids about Whiteface and Franklin Roosevelt that has good pictures taken during the summer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly