• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Facebook broken. For good?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like Facebook. And Twitter. But I think it's all in how you use them; I'm a ruthless curator: my FB is locked down and accessible only to people whom I know and enjoy interacting with. I use it mostly for joking-around purposes, but it's also really great to be able to keep up with friends and family all over the country.

My Twitter feed comprises almost entirely journalists and historians. It's an incredible resource; in my case, it allows a (former) high-school history teacher to be part of conversations among historical scholars in many, many fields, and made me a better teacher. And the access to excellent journalism is invaluable.

So to people who disparage all social media as entirely worthless, I say, it can be well worth the effort to sift the wheat from the chaff (if it's the sort of thing that you enjoy). But I also completely understand the desire to be unplugged from it! If I didn't teach online, I would love take periodic, long "screen breaks."

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There was a statement from FB that this was not because they were hacked. Not sure if I believe that. Also, there seems to be some [cough] theory that this outage is due to a federal gov't takeover on the heels of Frances Haugen talking to 60 Minutes. Mmmm, I don't automatically draw this conclusion. There are those who do.

I think I am, or have been, a FB junkie so this might be for my own good.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
There was a statement from FB that this was not because they were hacked. Also, there seems to be some [cough] theory that this outage is due to a federal gov't takeover on the heels of Frances Haugen talking to 60 Minutes. Mmmm, I don't automatically draw this conclusion. There are those who do.

I think I am, or have been, a FB junkie so this might be for my own good.
Hmm. Sounds like a conspiracy theory you got off Facebook. Oh wait, nevermind. :wave:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

newboots

Angel Diva
I like Facebook. And Twitter. But I think it's all in how you use them; I'm a ruthless curator: my FB is locked down and accessible only to people whom I know and enjoy interacting with. I use it mostly for joking-around purposes, but it's also really great to be able to keep up with friends and family all over the country.

My Twitter feed comprises almost entirely journalists and historians. It's an incredible resource; in my case, it allows a (former) high-school history teacher to be part of conversations among historical scholars in many, many fields, and made me a better teacher. And the access to excellent journalism is invaluable.

So to people who disparage all social media as entirely worthless, I say, it can be well worth the effort to sift the wheat from the chaff (if it's the sort of thing that you enjoy). But I also completely understand the desire to be unplugged from it! If I didn't teach online, I would love take periodic, long "screen breaks."
I admire your curating skill!

I need to cut down on all sources of stimulation. I stumble on far more things I want to read (for good reasons) than anyone could reasonably handle. I've always been hungry for information, since childhood. The internet is messing with my hunger.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to be back! Impressive recovery time for such a big outage really.

It was almost definitely not a hack. It's hard to overstate the complexity of sites that operate at Facebook's scale (there aren't many - Facebook, Google, Twitter, Amazon, Netflix...). When you take into account that thousands of engineers are pushing changes all day every day, it's actually surprising that there aren't bigger outages more often.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting writeup today:

Some crazy nuggets in there, including that during the outage their data centers were drawing so much less power that bringing everything back up at once could actually disrupt the electrical grid. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am very irked at Facebook today, they are broken for sure.. I ended up in jail (unable to post/comment/react) for 24 hours last night. My offense was apparently going against community standards and inciting violence..?!? There was a post in a local wildlife group where someone showed a picture of large snakes and said they found a den in their basement. They asked how they could ever go back in their house and sleep. I JOKINGLY said, “pretty sure you need to just burn down the house and start anew”. A common reaction to any type of post like this that I’ve seen, with snakes and I remember a crazy thread on scorpions that had this as well in a Peloton group with a member in Texas.

I just can’t believe I got banned for a day for this. Their censorship algorithms are just ridiculous right now. Forget about context at all. I’ve been seeing this happening to a bunch of friends but hadn’t experienced it yet myself. I also had the ability to ask for a second review for context and it came back the same. I moderate Facebook groups where we have key word alerts, it’s all about the context when it pops up.

All of this to say, be careful what you post. Though I would never have guess the tone of my comment would land me in Facebook jail. :doh: I see soooooooooo many crazy hateful posts, misinformation, and bad behavior on Facebook.. if this is what their focus is, well I don’t even know.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Hello from France - I've no Facebook or Instagram accounts...but the WhatsApp outage was noticed, but in no way debilitating.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki an acquaintance had the same thing for making sarcastic comment about his friend, obviously said in similar vein as your remark. I just commented on a FB photo where a clueless person was reaching out to touch a young buck in a forest or park, saying the idiot deserved to be gored but I wouldn't want the buck to be killed. Maybe I'll be banned for inciting violence, who TF knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly