• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Facebook broken. For good?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am not going to comment on the politics of it. However, it's so ingrained into our activities now: every organization I belong to does 90%+ of their communication this way. Will we go back to web forums, list serves and usenet?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on this. What do you mean when you say Facebook is broken?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Facebook, What's App, Instagram are down worldwide. This is not a simple outage. I'm sure it's not for good but it is a very serious hack/attack that Based on what I am reading, the kindergarten version is:(copied from Twitter)

In super simple terms - your computer needs a roadmap to get to Facebook. Someone burned that roadmap.

when you type http://facebook.com into your browser there is a directory that converts it into numbers and looks for it. except its not there anymore.

Basically, anytime someone wants to go to, say http://Facebook.com they’re routed to a DNS server that says http://Facebook.com = some IP address (the actual number ID of a Facebook server). It’s like a telephone book for computers and somebody just poured whiteout on it.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Wowza, hadn't heard this, but I just tried to go to Instagram on my phone and it cannot update the feed. The feed on my Facebook app isn't really anything new from today, and I cannot get to the server from my laptop.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, I have very mixed feelings about Facebook, but I truly feel for the people who work at Facebook who are responsible for fixing this. It's certainly not broken for good but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if we're looking at days before everything is resolved.

Jilly

Staff member
Maybe they are having the same problem I was having with this forum. Couldn't get on. Had to go in and delete the "cookies".

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm most sad about the Facebook Messenger app. I am in a few group chats for various things (being an admin on a couple of pages, a skiing fantasy football league, some SkiDivas), and for some of them it means pretty much connecting with those folks daily in some capacity while others might be less frequent. It made me go, well shoot I don't actually have contact information for some of these people in "real" life outside of that app. It's so easy to go through those kinds of channels, until it's not..

lisamamot

Angel Diva
This is wreaking havoc on my daughter's work this afternoon; she interns for a Marketing firm and works in the social media group. As such, she spends a lot of time on Instagram for them - today is Tik Tok only.

I'm most sad about the Facebook Messenger app.
Exactly. So many small businesses use Facebook and the Messenger app to survive. I was in the process of ordering something from a wonderful home baker in Maine for Thanksgiving; we had finished discussing what I wanted, and I know she put it on her calendar, but it got me to thinking that is how so much is done. She doesn't even have my mobile number. The turkey I want to get from a local farm does everything through Facebook as well and they were supposed to be posting this week regarding that. I may take a spin by this weekend in person!

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is wreaking havoc on my daughter's work this afternoon; she interns for a Marketing firm and works in the social media group. As such, she spends a lot of time on Instagram for them - today is Tik Tok only.

Exactly. So many small businesses use Facebook and the Messenger app to survive. I was in the process of ordering something from a wonderful home baker in Maine for Thanksgiving; we had finished discussing what I wanted, and I know she put it on her calendar, but it got me to thinking that is how so much is done. She doesn't even have my mobile number. The turkey I want to get from a local farm does everything through Facebook as well and they were supposed to be posting this week regarding that. I may take a spin by this weekend in person!

Hopefully this will be remedied in "short" order even if it's a few days, but admittedly this stuff all goes right over my head in a technical respect. I can't even wrap my head around these platforms being down for a full day never mind several!

Christy

Angel Diva
Honestly this is probably a positive for me, as I was spending an absurd amount of time looking at the memes, campaign posters, etc at the Fat Bear Bracket Tournament Facebook page.

newboots

Angel Diva
Honestly this is probably a positive for me, as I was spending an absurd amount of time looking at the memes, campaign posters, etc at the Fat Bear Bracket Tournament Facebook page.
It's a positive for me. I only went back into FB to keep up with my ski club's meetups and other events. But of course I have been sucked into messing on FB for hours and I do not need any more things to use up my time on the computer! (My FB friends, I love you all!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly