• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Extremely casual, recreational bikes

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoops - thought I erased the beginning of that post. I mean, it's true, but I was worried about how it would sound. Honestly if I could get one of you who knows something about this to just tell me what to buy, I'd probably be happy. But I know it doesn't quite work that way :smile:
It doesn’t work that way with skis either!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a Trek Multirack 7500 (had to go look at the model name). I guess it's considered a hybrid. Definitely not a road bike with skinny tires or a mountain bike. Only reason my husband and I bought new bikes about 20 years ago is that a local bike store was going out of business. Happened to have a bike left that would fit me. I replaced the seat after realizing wandering around REI that's possible.

There are two Trek retail stores in the Raleigh area, meaning Trek only. I assume that means it's a good brand.

I was happy enough with the 5-speed I bought from Sears in college but gave it away at some point. My husband kept the road bike he's had for a long time.

I don't ride often. Sometimes the mile to my fitness center. A few times a year I head over to the Rails-to-Trails that's near our house. We got a bike rack for overnight trips to the Virginia Creeper Trail. The ride is 17 miles, with 15 miles downhill at a pitch that doesn't require braking. Can get a shuttle van up beforehand or shuttle down afterwards. Great views!

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny Don't let anyone talk you into a hybrid, road bike, or mountain bike if what you want is a comfort bike. You'll still be outdoors and getting some exercise. I bought the wrong bike and I was miserable! If you get the comfort bike and down the road you realize you want something else cool! N+1 as they say!

As for the brands, honestly go for comfort and feel (and look:wink:). As long as you are buying from a bike shop it is most likely a reputable brand. Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, and Giant are all big brands the have been around a while. The Benno you mention looks more indie but that doesn't make it bad. They are plenty of those around too! Surly, Salsa, Rivendell off the top of my head.

*Just saw your new comment but I felt you may need this advice eventually.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in West Michigan. And please don't anyone take this the wrong way because I really, really appreciate you taking the time to post here, but I am so seriously casual about this that I don't want to learn anything more than it takes to get a decent bike for a reasonable price.

Totally get it! You're clear about what you want to do, so as @CrystalRose says, a good shop will put you on the right bike and save you having to deal with all the different possibilities.

I almost bought a gravel bike last month. I hate riding on roads, dirt or otherwise. It bores my face off except when cars pass me and I'm terrified. But I had convinced myself that that was what I should do: long miles on dirt and gravel roads until the mountain bike trails opened. The shop wasn't even pressuring me; I was trying to sell myself on it.

Finally, at almost the last minute, I changed my mind and got a hard-tail 29er. It's PERFECT for my home trails and insanely fun. I'm so glad I have it and that I didn't talk myself into anything else.

So I hope a good shop helps you find what you want with a minimum of effort on your part! Good luck and have fun!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I almost bought the Trek Neko 2 bike. It was not over-priced for the components it had. Less aggressive than the Trek FX line but not at all poky. Comfortable and still fun. Adorably sunny yellow, like the background in my avatar. It was the end of model year sale. I dawdled and missed the opportunity.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were in your shoes I would buy a bike like this. https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/alight-2

Today we rode the Rio Grande Bike Trail from Glenwood Springs to Carbondale, Co. At lunch I observed the bikes others were riding. Many were on road bikes but there were quite a few on flat bar bikes. The Alight has a pretty good gearing range so you could do some hill climbing. It has wider tires that will take you on dirt roads, if you chose, as well as city streets and bike trails. Although it's been 40 years since I've been in your part of the country I remember lots of dirt and sandy roads.

The other reason I chose this bike over a more upright bike is wind. Flat trails will often mean windy conditions. I love drop bars on my bikes because I can get more aerodynamic in wind by dropping my upper body lower. Flat bar bikes put you in a more dropped position but not as low as on a road bike. If you need to you can get lower. Also, you have more hand positions. You can sit up straighter by moving your hands to the center of the bar or drop lower by moving hands outwards. If you buy an upright, or comfort bike, you are stuck in an upright position which can get tiring after a period of time. Your shoulders, neck and rear end will feel the effects.

I learned about bike parts because I got tired of taking my bike in for a tune and have to tell the mechanic that this "thingy" isn't working right. It's a lot easier if you have the correct terminology to explain what your bike needs.

My bike shop tells me that here in the Denver area June is the best time to buy. Prices drop because shoppers have already bought their bikes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna