• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

exploring the frontiers of grubbiness

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot that me + stables = Pigpen from Charlie Brown. I put one foot on a stable grounds, and I can just about see a miasma of dust, bits of hay, sweat, horse spit, mud, manure, and other unidentifiable effluvia rise up around me. A horse *looks* at me, and suddenly it's 20' radius Eau Du Barn. I totally forgot about this. Came back quickly, though.

The 1st lesson went fine. I had it from the stable owner. We started with How To Groom The Horse, including a bunch of brushes and a Hoof Pick. Then moved on to How To Put The Tack On. And then How To Walk The Horse In A Circle. The horse was a 5yo. Not tremendously experienced, but...stolid. Unlikely to bolt into a canter when I ignorantly gave him a firm kick with my heels to get him started going.

Then we moved on to How To Let The Horse Know That I Am In Charge. After a while, the horse decided he would rather hang out or go backwards rather than go forwards. The instructor thought this was just as well, because 1) it showed that he wasn't brainless, and 2) it gave me a chance to learn about human-equine relations. And it involved a horse that was not going to start bucking or rearing, so that was just as well with me.

Then we went into the Theory of Trotting and Posting. I did manage to get the horse moving in a trot, at which point I completely forgot everything I'd just heard about how to Post, and just bounced UP and down and UP and down and UP and down...until I was giggling so hard that I had to ask the horse to stop. Instructor said all her little girls have the same response (giggling) when they start to trot. So I am happy that I remain in touch with my inner 6 year old. :laugh:

We did the trot again, and this time I remembered - in principle - what to do...but I will say that there is a yawning gulf between theory and execution on this one. I am confident that I will eventually get it. :smile:

After the lesson in How To Clean The Horse Up (more brushes and picks, plus washing horse spit off of the tack) I asked her about riding gear. I'd decided not to even try with my ski helmet after I discovered that the bozos who assembled it put the prickly bit of the velcro on the helmet instead of the lining. Idiots. Such an easy problem NOT to create...

I also asked her about my cowboy boots. She said they'd be good for a while, but that something about the English "leathers" (? does this make sense?) wasn't a good match with the cowboy boots, and said what she suggests is Paddock Boots and Half Chaps. She also suggested a saddlery about a half-hour away.

I went right to the shop to see about the helmet. I noticed that they had a bunch of fancy helmets for showing. They seemed to be covered with velour or velvet. I don't intend to show, but I am still possessed with a burning curiosity about how on earth anyone could possibly keep an item like that *clean*. On me, it would be completely filthy inside of 10 minutes.

So I got a helmet that looks almost exactly like my ski helmet, and I talked to them about the Paddock Boots. The Boots led to the Chaps. Then the Chaps led to a discussion of Breeches.

I told them that I thought to ride in my jeans. They looked at each other and then looked at me with sympathy. "You haven't been riding for long, have you?" one of them said.

"Ah, no." I said.

Then they explained that even though the seam on the inside of my jeans seems very little now, after an hour of hard work in the saddle, it will seem like the Rocky Mountain range. And after a couple of lessons, it will seem like there is a knife slicing away persistently on the inside of my thighs. (My words, but this was the general implication of the ensuing discussion.)

To my absolute shock the breeches both fit AND looked good. And were comfortable. They have some kind of patch on the inside of the knees.

So. I'm now down 1 helmet, 1 pair of paddock boots, 1 pair of half-chaps, 1 pair of breeches. They said "You're set!"

and then the paused and said "Well, you're set unless you decide to show."

and then one of them said "Well, or until you decide you want a spare pair of breeches, or gloves, or..."

I said "I'm a skier. THIS I understand. I realized last week I need a pair of gloves with a little rubber squeegee on the thumb to clean my goggles." They wanted to hear all about *that*. :becky:

Then one of them said "Well, so you're pretty much set. Until you decide you want a horse, and THEN...."

Looks like this is going to be just the thing for the 8 months I can't ski!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yaay for Pigpen and horses! I am the same way after the barn. I'm so used to it I'll venture out and about in my dirty, smelly state :laugh:

Sounds like a good lesson! The trot is a two-beat gait therefore posting is a one-two one-two one-two action. Try counting to yourself next time! It really helps.

Leathers are the straps that hold the irons (stirrups) to the saddle. They can pinch the $#@$#% out of your calves if you aren't wearing tall boots or half chaps. FWIW I ride in jeans a LOT and throw my half chaps on over them. But then we Arabian horse folks march to our own beat anyway. Today I will ride in breeches because it's going to be hot and they are much cooler than denim. I don't care for venturing out in my breeches, though, which is one reason I wear jeans to the barn most of the time.

I'm quite impressed that they have a 5-year-old horse who is behaved enough to do lessons! Love that he had a bit of a 'tude, though. The ones with a 'tude DO teach you more! As long as he doesn't pull TOO much tude and take off running and bucking or something. Sounds like he won't. Fun!

You really need to get a picture of you in your new digs on your new steed! :thumbsup:

Those velvet helmets actually dust off really well :smile:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on a successful first lesson.
I started riding when I was 12 (which is old compared to when lots of kids start), so I remember what it was like learning to post. The first couple times you'll feel like you're trying to do it, but just not quite got the rhythm of it-- then one day it will just happen and you'll be posting. Once you really get it it will just seem easy.

Yeah, the velvet helmets actually stay pretty clean. Any fine dust tends to settle into the velvet and anything course can just be brushed off.
Exciting to get all new stuff! I've never ridden in jeans with half chaps (in fact I'm so old fashioned I still ride in full chaps---half chaps really only came into fashion in the last 10 years or so) but I think the comfort of the seam on the jeans would be a function of how tight the jeans and half chaps are. My full chaps are really tight, so the jeans seam has never bothered me, but with half chaps I can see how it could rub your thigh since there is nothing holding it tight up there.

Welcome to another sport where there is always something else you want or need to buy!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The newest stretch jeans are quite comfy to ride in ;D A lot of them have minimal seam on the inside of the leg. However, I do still pull out my favorite old Wranglers to ride in on a regular basis! They are actually so cute and don't show crack in the back, if you get my drift. My breeches were the ticket in the 90 degree heat today, though! It felt good taking those half chaps off. Whew!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OY! MY TUCHUS! MY INNER THIGHS! I AM DYING!!

:yield:

Holy cow, I can't believe how stiff I got from a short amount of time. I am walking like John Wayne looking for trouble! I thought skiing was good for my legs...but it's not a patch on this. I will be the Mogul Queen next December!

The breeches are actually surprisingly comfortable. They make my legs look good, too. I would have expected the exact opposite (tight, unflattering). Pity they aren't roomy enough for me to stuff a pillow into next week. :p

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:ROTF:

It's been so long since I've been that sore from riding! Probably the last time was 4 years ago, right after my daughter was born. Yes, it uses muscles you didn't know were there, and yes, it's great exercise! Get that posting trot down and you'll REALLY feel it! :thumbsup:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today, I am lucky if I can post my butt out of a chair...WITH the assistance of my hands... :eek:

Did you shop at Dior and where are you riding?

Your post is hilarious, I can so relate. Congrats on your new activity and gear, have fun with it!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you shop at Dior and where are you riding?

Your post is hilarious, I can so relate. Congrats on your new activity and gear, have fun with it!

I shopped at Sackett Ridge Saddlery down right over the line in Westfield. The gear ran a lot less than I thought it would.

I'm riding at Laural Hill in Haydenville. It's right behind that odd little clam shack on Rt 9 between Williamsburg & Leeds. Near the big purple vet.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
That's why we have "Barn clothes" so you can get as grubby as you want! A good stretch and soak in a hot bath withhelp you feel better, it lessens with time. You will get the crap pinched out of your calves if you don't have a half chap or a highboot between you and your leathers! I ride in jeans with half chaps for trail or cold weather but ride in full leather seat breeches with high boots for schooling dressage. Kerrits makes a great summer weight pant for under $150.00. I spent the afternoon brushing and trimming up Chrome he has blown out enough hair to create a shetland pony! Lol!!!

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Chrome is a mud magnet! I also put his Easter Bunny ears on him! He hates anything on his head! But he is my little cutie and I love him!

Attachments

• 207307_211757162174221_100000198161521_944470_3219084_n[1].jpg
    207307_211757162174221_100000198161521_944470_3219084_n[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 205484_1978636826178_1250861992_2375037_1025835_n[1].jpg
    205484_1978636826178_1250861992_2375037_1025835_n[1].jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members