• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

experiences with total knee replacement

EasternSkiBum

Certified Ski Diva
I'm trying to decide whether to get a TKR or put up with another painful season first. I decided to get a replacement at the end of last season. It has taken 3 months to see the surgeon and now it's taking another month or 2 before being able to have surgery. I'm not even on the schedule yet and it's nearly fall now. I don't relish the thought of skiing another season like last... my right quad was smaller than my left by the end of the season. I'm doing exercises now to strengthen things. I can't stand the thought of missing the season altogether.

Question for you all.... did you need new foot beds/ boots before skiing again? I would think I would since my alignment will be corrected. My leg has been getting a valgus angle to it over the years.. I had a lateral tibial plateau fracture years ago.

I know everybody is different but how long did it take you to feel like you could ski again after surgery? I'm prepared to take a sabbatical from teaching... but not from skiing.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Oops, I didn't see this before responding in the other thread. I did not need new footbeds after my TKR. Obviously everyone is different.

I chose to quit skiing at the end of April and have my TKR on May 1. I also had several other surgeries that same summer - rotator cuff repair, 2 foot surgeries. That's why I started so early. My guess is that I could have skied in 4-5 months - possibly without the surgeon's approval.

If you can schedule your surgery by September 1, my guesstimate is that you will be able to so some skiing by February. Again, that's a question for your surgeon and you may or may not like his answer. But that's my totally unscientific opinion.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

EasternSkiBum

Certified Ski Diva
My surgeon believes that it will be possible to return to skiing after 3 or 4 months. It's one of the reasons I chose him. I was hoping to be in recovery by now... but I had one roadblock after another. It's been very frustrating.

CarolPollock

Diva in Training
Oops, I didn't see this before responding in the other thread. I did not need new footbeds after my TKR. Obviously everyone is different.

I chose to quit skiing at the end of April and have my TKR on May 1. I also had several other surgeries that same summer - rotator cuff repair, 2 foot surgeries. That's why I started so early. My guess is that I could have skied in 4-5 months - possibly without the surgeon's approval.

If you can schedule your surgery by September 1, my guesstimate is that you will be able to so some skiing by February. Again, that's a question for your surgeon and you may or may not like his answer. But that's my totally unscientific opinion.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
I had tkrs in May. 4 yrs apart. First one was nightmare. Second one a piece of cake. But with both I waited til Jan to ski. I was stronger,more confident and ready. my First doc was a jerk and said never ski. My second one was older and a skier. He said just wait til you’re really ready, conditions are good and slopes are not crowded. Great advice!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly