• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Experiences with Atomic Shift 13 Bindings?

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I've read a lot of positive reviews, but there were also some negative ones where people said the brake engaged while they were skinning uphill and obviously that's annoying. Have you had any problems? For resort skinning/sidecountry. Based on my DIN, I plan to get the Shift 10, but those just came out so I'm asking about the 13s instead. Thanks!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used shifts last season but only for downhill - I'd put them on some skis that it turned out I didn't really like in deeper snow but loved on firmer conditions so ended up not taking them touring/side country at all. I didn't have any problems with them in the ski setting and I really enjoyed how light they are - although I did ski with someone who had a couple of pre-releases in them.

My husband used them up-hill as well and didn't have the brake problem. He did find that his toes slipped out of the pins a few times - not sure if this was a setup issue, not brilliant skinning technique or a problem with the bindings. He didn't have any downhill issues with them though.

When we got them fitted, the guy at the shop mentioned that he's seen the afd under the toe start to slip down (which could explain the pre-releases).

I'm looking at swapping them onto my preferred touring skis, which currently have Atomic Trackers on them - just due to the weight of the trackers really.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Thanks @MrsPlow! After reading your report, I did some more research and found that the Shifts are called "fiddly." Here are 2 common causes of pre-release and how to fix - one is that the AFD migrates because it is a stepped rather than infinite adjuster and another is that if the set-up is off by even less than a centimeter you'll pre-release.

I'm not too concerned about pre-release in downhill mode, as I'm a mellow skier. But now I know that I'll have to really get to know the bindings since they are fiddly. I hope you enjoy swapping them onto your touring skis and that the tips about preventing pre-release help you, too :smile:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a heads up about another issue I discovered today - fortunately while in the back yard. I've not used the bindings for touring as yet and wanted to practice ahead of a course I'm doing next week so thought I'd just poddle around the garden a bit.

Second practice transition and the brake unit of one of the skis fell off; this is after about an hour at most of using them in tour mode in total. I've found a few examples online of this happening to other people, and it's apparently caused by stomping to put the brakes up when you're swapping into touring mode. Going to take them in to get them fixed and checked out; I'm hoping they can show me how to fix this if it happens when I'm not walking distance to my front door!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just a heads up about another issue I discovered today - fortunately while in the back yard. I've not used the bindings for touring as yet and wanted to practice ahead of a course I'm doing next week so thought I'd just poddle around the garden a bit.

Second practice transition and the brake unit of one of the skis fell off; this is after about an hour at most of using them in tour mode in total. I've found a few examples online of this happening to other people, and it's apparently caused by stomping to put the brakes up when you're swapping into touring mode. Going to take them in to get them fixed and checked out; I'm hoping they can show me how to fix this if it happens when I'm not walking distance to my front door!

Oh boy, yes I definitely have read reviews of that happening as well. I haven’t toured with mine yet so no experience to help on that. I have a course at the end of February, so that is a tad worrisome though. If you find out anything about fixing things in the field, please report back.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I did ski with someone who had a couple of pre-releases in them
What size brakes does he have and what is the waist width of his skis? I believe most of the pre-release issues I read about were with brakes that were generous for the ski; most recommendations I read said to size down. Due to my concerns regarding that, I got the 90mm for a 95mm ski. They release just fine, but I think the 95mm waist is the max for the 90mm brake without bending them.

I have only done a couple in-resort skins with my setup but so far so good. The first time I hand locked the brakes going into touring mode, the second time I stomped. The brakes retracted properly, but hearing about brakes falling off - yikes. I definitely need to learn how to fix that in the field just incase!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot - not sure of the width of the brakes for the pre-releases. I think in that case it was either incorrect forward pressure or the AFD wasn't set quite right.

So the fix is to screw the heel forwards until you can slide the part that's fallen off back on and put the little clip thingies back into the notches they're supposed to go in. You'd then screw the heel back and check forward pressure again. Hope that makes sense!

Took the ski tech a few minutes - he thought possibly it hadn't been clipped in properly, didn't seem to think it was to do with stomping to lift the brakes in tour mode. I'll be taking the relevant screw driver with me when I go touring this week!

JWatson

Diva in Training
I have been using the Shift 10 since Dec. I love them!! I’m mostly using inbounds/ski mode. But in last few weeks took two uphill ski loops. One was on semi groomed area of resort and then yesterday two hours uphill through fresh powder in the forest.

No issue with brakes deploying while skinning up. No issue with toe releasing on uphill. I think both of these issues can be related to user error.

To lock toe pins is really hard. There is a double click to lock in toes. The first click comes easily, the second click takes a lot of muscle to click. It does become easier over time/number of times you lock in with toe pins. First time I needed help my friend/helper was worried he was going to break something— that’s how tough it was to get that 2nd click! I do totally do on my own after that first time. I do find that I need gloves on as out helps grip to make this second click.

For brakes releasing while going up, I was paranoid but had zero issues. I’m using the shift 10 in 90mm size. Have the mounted on 92mm underfoot. I’ve read they could accommodate up to 100-105mm underfoot. Brakes look wide on my skis and I was worried if I knocked them while going up they would deploy. They do tuck up nicely when locked and zero issues. Yesterday I had plenty of inadvertent knocks on my way up through forest and no issues.

To lock up brakes in walk/tour mode I don’t feel like I need to stomp too hard. It’s pretty gentle IMO.

I do recommend watching some shift videos a few times. I did this before trying out the first time and I think it helped. In addition to the double click to lock toes I had to get familiar with the couple of parts that need to adjust when changing between ski and walk.

One minus for me is that my shift 10’s are solid black in color. I think there are models with colors. These might make it easier to I’d parts to move during shifts.

Re pre release in downhill/ski mode, yikes! I’m going to pay attention to the afd plate during season and pre season next year. Seems like there might be a lot of variation with tech knowledge on install of this binding. I used local REI. I think that they have prob installed this binding frequently since it debuted a few seasons ago due to large uphill/backcountry community here in Santa Fe NM

amahucka

Diva in Training
I've skied the shifts for the past 2 seasons, in resort, side country, and back country uphill and downhill. My husband and daughter have the same. Each of us have only pre-released once and it was totally random. We all love the bindings. Light weight and easy to go from up hill to down hill. You do have to make sure your toe is in properly which can just take a little getting used to. Otherwise it's been a great binding!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the brakes drop out again yesterday - had the screwdriver with me fortunately. No problems with the bindings today - I made sure I moved the brake unit by using the brakes only, rather than trying to levering or stomp on anything.

I like the bindings too actually, love the downhill performance and haven't had any problems with pre-releases myself. Also no problems with popping out of the toes once I've got them double-clicked in. But I'd say there are various issues with different touring bindings (not just the shifts) - just wanted to make others aware what can happen and what tools you need with you to fix it if you're a long way from home.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had the brakes drop out again yesterday - had the screwdriver with me fortunately. No problems with the bindings today - I made sure I moved the brake unit by using the brakes only, rather than trying to levering or stomp on anything.

I like the bindings too actually, love the downhill performance and haven't had any problems with pre-releases myself. Also no problems with popping out of the toes once I've got them double-clicked in. But I'd say there are various issues with different touring bindings (not just the shifts) - just wanted to make others aware what can happen and what tools you need with you to fix it if you're a long way from home.

Can you give more detail on the part you should have a screw driver for? I have my AIARE class this weekend and want to be sure to have something with me just in case there was an issue..

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you give more detail on the part you should have a screw driver for? I have my AIARE class this weekend and want to be sure to have something with me just in case there was an issue..
It's the screw that adjusts forward pressure - I'll take some photos in a bit and post them up.

@lisamamot - I don't think the dakine tool will work, the handle's too big to turn. Will include a photo of the screwdriver, it's just a standard philips head one.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
It's the screw that adjusts forward pressure - I'll take some photos in a bit and post them up.

@lisamamot - I don't think the dakine tool will work, the handle's too big to turn. Will include a photo of the screwdriver, it's just a standard philips head one.
Ah, I will have to take a look. I would think you could do half turns before bumping into anything, but I may bring along a standard option as well.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How brake unit was reattached:
1. Turn the forward pressure screw until the heel unit slides on the rail; this is quite a few turns to move the unit far enough forward. For reference, it's this screw:
shift_forward_pressure.PNG
2. This will let you attach the brake unit - the 2 pins or tabs fit into the holes on the heel unit and it'll slot onto the rail.
3. Turn the forward pressure screw the other way until it's back in place. Check that forward pressure is correct.

The guide I was skiing with helped me with this, being an unflappable outdoor expert as opposed to me who was starting to work out if I could walk from where we were. I'd brought a short-handled screwdriver with me; a longer one would've been easier to work with. Was going to post a photo but honestly they're just standard, round-handled screwdrivers...

This is from a Reddit thread about the issue - (Anyone have issues with Salomon/Atomic Shift brake units popping off? : Backcountry (reddit.com) ):
mt156mnsku661.png (2037×1528) (redd.it)
Page 70 - how the binding fits together:
https://issuu.com/salomonnz/docs/salomon_tm_alp_wtr2019_300dpi
Shows forward pressure:
https://www.newschoolers.com/news/read/Salomon-Atomic-Shift-Binding-Common-Issues-Fixes

I think the problem might be caused by doing something other than simply flipping the lever on the brake unit from SKI to WALK and then gently pushing the brakes up. Possibly pushing the lever rather than pushing the brakes up puts too much force on it. On the other hand, could be a warranty issue???

The other issue I've heard about is the toe lever refusing to stay locked in walk mode. Salomon have apparently put out a replacement din unit cover for this which has little lumps on the side to help keep the lever up. I've seen a fix for this if the replacement part hasn't been installed - ski strap through the hole in the lever which is then looped through one of the buckles on your boot. Not ideal but I guess it'd get you back home if necessary. I've not had this problem - toe lever was hard to get in place but stayed there once locked.

Also - if you're not sure you'll remember what correct forward pressure should look like, take a photo for reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly