• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Expensive taste

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently I have an expensive taste in skis...

I did a demo day today, just for fun (I wasn't really looking for new skis). Decided the best skis of the day were Stockli Stormrider 85's. I googled them in the parking lot on the way home (just for fun, naturally) and about had a heart attack! Yikes... maybe next year :eek:

Has this happened to you? What was the thing in question? Did you succumb to the whispers in your head telling you to buy it and eat ramen for the next 6 months? :wink:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
LOL, I had the exact same thing happened ... demo’d and loved the Stormrider 85. Decided to buy the runner-up based straightly on price. I promise myself if I ever become an advanced skier, I’d get those as a reward.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The same happened to me after my first demo day this season. Wasn’t looking to get new skis at all!! Love at first ride with a pair of Kastle MX89 and bought it a few days later. Then my husband surprised me with a pair of Kastle MX Limited a week later because they are so pretty! Two weeks later I had to demo race skis for a clinic. Ended up falling in love with the Stockli Laser AX and bought them the very next day:love: I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to shopping. So, I doubled my quiver with 3 pairs of new skis in one month! Note to self: Don’t ever demo again unless I want to bid farewell to my $$$...and don’t do it at the beginning of the season because there are no deals:nono:CE136D6C-5766-4081-921E-9559B226F38B.jpeg

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I'm lucky in that I've never tried Stockli and was unimpressed with the pair of Kastles I owned. But the Kastles I purchased used from Powder7; they had been demo skis. Great way to get a more expensive brand of ski w/o breaking the bank.

I'm still firmly team Volkl over here, though. Well, and race skis are fun too. :wink:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
But I did succumb to a Taylor mahogany 12-fret which has the sweetest sound a few years ago ... even though I can’t play happy birthday without missing a note :rotf:

#moremoneythanskill (describes my ski collection - thankfully my husband stopped me from buying a guitar cuz we have a few in storage!)

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
#moremoneythanskill (describes my ski collection - thankfully my husband stopped me from buying a guitar cuz we have a few in storage!)
That could’ve been my user name! Seriously, I feel guilty about owning quality things and not have the skills to make the most of them. I think it was Socrates who said a thing ought to be used by the people who are best qualified to use it. Anything less is injustice.

Sparky

Angel Diva
I demoed the Stormrider 85 last spring and loved them too! I also didn’t know how much they cost until afterwards. I hate paying full price for stuff and avoid it if I can!

@Susan L love your quiver but do you sometimes have a hard time deciding which skis to take out?? More skis, more decisions!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Susan L love your quiver but do you sometimes have a hard time deciding which skis to take out?? More skis, more decisions!

When I only had my Volkls and Rossi, I had no problem deciding which to use on a particular day. They each had their specific purpose. I have not used the Volkls since purchasing the Kastles, and I am having a very tough time deciding between my Kastles and the Stockli. I have a seasonal locker so I can switch out easily, but it is still a tough decision to make!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
heheh...I just googled those stormriders and realized that they share a price point with all of my skis. One of my husband's buddies gave us a hard time for insisting that we never put the car into Drive unless the ski rack is locked. Said "Oh, it's going to stay closed, don't worry so much." I pointed out that the rack currently contained gear with a total replacement value of $2,700 (2 pr of my skis, 1 pr of Mr. S. intermediate-grade Blizzards) and that locking the thing was an easy way to protect that investment.

I find, in general, you get what you pay for with this stuff. Save up, buy the good stuff to start with, take care of it properly, and then you don't have to shell out anything more for a good long while. And lots of times, I think, you can get the premium stuff either lightly used, or wait until next season and catch it on sale, if you're willing to take last year's stuff (and why not? If I loved that ski last year, I love it this year too, and at half the price!).

Mountainerd

Diva in Training
Has this happened to you? What was the thing in question? Did you succumb to the whispers in your head telling you to buy it and eat ramen for the next 6 months? :wink:

Yep! Decided to treat myself to new boots at the beginning of this season to replace the too big, too soft, generally all around terrible boots I'd been skiing in the past couple of seasons, and wanted to do it right by going into a shop and working with a bootfitter. So of course, the boots that made my feet the happiest and were everything I wanted...were the most expensive women's boots in the shop. :doh: Oh well, totally worth it once my bank account recovered a bit from the shock!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My worst sin in this category occurred last year at Diva West.

I demoed Renoun Z90s and really
enjoyed them. The next day was too stormy to ski, so I was hanging around the condo reading about Renouns. Amazingly, I found that the website was having a one day sale. Apparently it was meant to be. Still pricy for me, but doable... Thanks Renoun.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have found that the most expensive equipment is the stuff that you never use.

If you love it, you are more likely to use it. That said, I care about skis, bikes and golf clubs but other things not so much. I use all of my equipment and buying quality bikes is helpful because I can’t fix anything and good stuff lasts.

We all have finite resources but we need to know when to splurge a bit.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my ski buddy has taken a Stockli GS for a demo, I told him while riding a lift that he is carrying one of the most expensive skis on his legs right now. After a couple of runs, he confessed that he is totally fond of those skis. The demo shop had priced them for CAD 1800, and was offering them for 40% off on the demo day. Still was not convinced to buy them.
stock.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly