• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Expensive taste

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try racing sailboats for a hole into which to throw lots of money! :hail:

I ski full time December - March, and golf full time April - November. I don’t think I have anymore free time (or money) to try anything new:hail: Plus I live in New Mexico...

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I road and trail run and have pairs of running shoes and sign up for races pretty much April-November. DH does motorcycle track days at least once a month. At $200/day, that's not a cheaper venture. Add in travel, tire, and other maintenance costs and it starts to get a bit pricey. We also backpack, camp, and bike which is even more gear. Our basement looks like a sporting goods store and we could easily lend out gear to folks who might want to join us... :banana:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I road and trail run and have pairs of running shoes and sign up for races pretty much April-November. DH does motorcycle track days at least once a month. At $200/day, that's not a cheaper venture. Add in travel, tire, and other maintenance costs and it starts to get a bit pricey. We also backpack, camp, and bike which is even more gear. Our basement looks like a sporting goods store and we could easily lend out gear to folks who might want to join us... :banana:
I am exhausted just reading all that :tongue: . It’s good that things we like to do don’t seem like work.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ll join the Stockli Stormrider 85 fan club. Finally got to get on them at a demo day today, and I am so in love! I just bought hybrid AT boots and skins to get a touring setup going, so not actually looking to buy more skis right now. They’ll be on my short list of a quiver ad on if I should happen upon a really good deal, demo sell off at the end of the season, etc. though.

What size do people here ski it in? My happy spot for ski length is usually mid-160s, but I have skis that range from low to high 160s as well. I demoed the 168 because that’s the only size they had. It felt great, but I’m also curious if I could go down to the 161 as well without losing the truly fabulous stability I felt in the longer length.

lisamamot

Angel Diva

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’ll join the Stockli Stormrider 85 fan club. Finally got to get on them at a demo day today, and I am so in love! I just bought hybrid AT boots and skins to get a touring setup going, so not actually looking to buy more skis right now. They’ll be on my short list of a quiver ad on if I should happen upon a really good deal, demo sell off at the end of the season, etc. though.

What size do people here ski it in? My happy spot for ski length is usually mid-160s, but I have skis that range from low to high 160s as well. I demoed the 168 because that’s the only size they had. It felt great, but I’m also curious if I could go down to the 161 as well without losing the truly fabulous stability I felt in the longer length.
I still love mine. I have the 159cm from a couple years ago, which may seem long for 5'0", 111 lbs. But I only use them out west on soft snow. Skied them in deep powder a few days last winter and had a good time. So that's one reason I was okay with a longer length. It was the shortest available at the time.

I see the 2020 version starts at 154cm. That would be my length now vs the next length, which is 161, 168cm is the longest. The Stormrider 88 lengths starts at 168cm.

marzNC

Angel Diva
LOL, I had the exact same thing happened ... demo’d and loved the Stormrider 85. Decided to buy the runner-up based straightly on price. I promise myself if I ever become an advanced skier, I’d get those as a reward.
Once you've been on Stöckli skis . . . :smile:

I was looking to replace my old Black Pearls (2011, bought used in 2012 from a Diva) when I first tried the Stormrider 85. By then I'd become a solid advanced skier, was skiing 25+ days out west per season, and had demo'd several contenders for my next all-mountain skis. Read on for what happened . . .

I had no idea the Stormrider 85 existed the first time I did the Demo Day at Whitetail (in PA) in 2016 (Friday, early Jan). My coach at Massanutten loves his Stöckli Laser SC carvers so I knew something about the brand. I was surprised to see a Stöckli demo tent at Whitetail. I tried the Laser SC and didn't expect to like them. But they were really fun. I wasn't about to spend that kind of money for short midA slopes. I'd bought Head Absolut Joys the year before, based on demo'ing the AJs and the Total Joys. The next Whitetail demo day I wanted to try the Laser SC again but it was out. The rep asked if I would try to the Stormrider 85 (new that season?). They were great! But I wasn't about to buy based on two 2-min runs in the MidA.

That winter I went to Taos in early February. I was hoping to find the Stormrider 85 to rent as demo skis. Just happened that the first ski shop I walked into, Le Ski Mastery, is a major U.S. distributor for Stöckli. Reserved the Stormrider 85 in my length. After the first day, I went back to say I'd keep them for at least another day . . . and asked the price for the demo skis. Was told I needed to talk to Alain about the price. The next afternoon he was at the shop and it was quiet so it was easy to talk to him about buying them. I knew I wanted them. So by the "third day" they were mine, without demo bindings. About to start the fourth season with them. Not looking to buy other skis in that size category any time soon.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently I have an expensive taste in skis...
I did a demo day today, just for fun (I wasn't really looking for new skis). Decided the best skis of the day were Stockli Stormrider 85's. I googled them in the parking lot on the way home (just for fun, naturally) and about had a heart attack! Yikes... maybe next year :eek:
Found a pair on sale, bought them:bag:
#moremoneythanskill #ramenforsixmonths

Yup, me too. I own 4 pair of Kastle skis. I didn't pay more than $250 for any of them, including the bindings. These are very expensive skis. Stockli is often compared to Kastle for quality. I ski on a budget, buying all my soft gear at thrift shops. There are no extra bucks available in my life for skis priced over $1,000 without bindings. But that's what I like. So....

I bought one pair of Kastles when a shop went out of business, new in plastic, complete with bindings, at $250. I just happened to walk in. The other three pair were bought used, with bindings already mounted. In the summers I comb the offerings on Craig's List, eBay, Pugski, and here to see what's available, and bite when something that sounds good shows up.

I buy my skis without demoing, since I find demo days to be quite disappointing. My size and the models I am interested in are never available. What's up with that? Plus, standing in line at a tent at the base of a lift is something I don't endure with any grace. I stopped trying to make demo days work for me years ago.

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC , I am wanting to get my SIL on a pair of Stormriders in the Utah area. We'll likely be at Alta and Snowbird. Which shop on- mountain carries these if you know? Or the DPS Ueschi.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC , I am wanting to get my SIL on a pair of Stormriders in the Utah area. We'll likely be at Alta and Snowbird. Which shop on- mountain carries these if you know? Or the DPS Ueschi.
I haven't noticed or looked for Stöckli skis around LCC. The different ski shops carry different brands. I know the shop in the Peruvian carries Kastle.

As for DPS, the Alta Ski Shop always gets them for demos. They have had a strong relationship with DPS from the start since DPS is based in SLC. But not sure you'll find the Ueschi as a demo ski. It's not really what skiers at Alta want to rent. There is supposed to be a new Alta Ski Shop at Albion. I rent powder skis from the shop next to the Wildcat ticket windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly