• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

EPIC FOR EVERYONE Pass Launched

marzNC

Angel Diva
I bet VR execs are happy the weather in Colorado is being so helpful this season. Breck just announced they will stay open on weekends thru June 9 instead of closing on Memorial Day. Not quite as late as July 7 like Squaw and Mammoth, which are Alterra resorts. With A-Basin moving off Epic after 2019, VR needs some place for late season marketing purposes.

Last Dec, Keystone announced snow making infrastructure improvements that will allow Keystone to open a few weeks earlier than in the past.
" . . .
Keystone Resort is planning to upgrade snowmaking on its opening terrain to a state-of-the-art, automated, energy-efficient system that will assist in allowing the resort to operate more productively in narrow early-season snowmaking windows. This will help to position Keystone to be the first resort to open in Colorado and the U.S. each season with the most skiable terrain, bringing forward the resort’s opening day by up to three weeks each year.
. . ."

In Jan 2019, Breck announced that it would stay open until Memorial Day in 2019 and future years. It was pretty obvious that the decision was a business decision, and not really based on snow coverage since it was a bit early to predict snowfall for the rest of the winter.

marzNC

Angel Diva
People who want to ski from the Park City side to Canyons will have a faster route for 2019-20 if all goes according to plan. The plan announced today is to add a fixed-grip quad that at the base of the Tombstone Express that would go to the top of Sunrise. After getting off the Quicksilver Gondola, it will be two lifts to get to the Canyons base. Having never skied a full day at Park City, I can't easily figure out from the trail map how long it currently takes to get to the Canyons base on blue runs from Quicksilver.

https://news.parkcity.vailresorts.c...ns-to-install-new-lift-for-2019-20-season.htm

PARK CITY, Utah – May 22, 2019 – Park City Mountain today announced plans to install a new lift in time for the 2019-20 season, pending permits. The fixed grip quad chairlift, named “Over and Out,” will transport guests from a location near the bottom of the Tombstone Express Lift and unload near the top of Sunrise Lift on the front side of the mountain. As the name suggests, this lift will provide a quicker, more direct route for skiers and riders to access Canyons Village from the center of the resort.

“Since combining Park City Mountain Resort and Canyons Resort in 2015, our focus has been on enhancing the guest experience,” said Bill Rock senior vice president and chief operating officer at Park City Mountain. “We continue to evolve as a resort and prioritize our capital improvements based on guest feedback. We know that time is particularly valuable to our guests and the new lift will offer a faster and more convenient route to return to Canyons Village.”

With a ride time of approximately five minutes, the lift will significantly reduce the travel time from the base of Tombstone Express Lift to Canyons Village, and provide a more accessible route for guests to enjoy the world-class terrain surrounding Canyons Village. It will also greatly benefit skiers who start their day at Park City Mountain Village with plans to ski to Canyons Village.

Installation of the new lift will take place this summer and be completed in time for the Christmas holidays, pending permits. This latest capital investment is in addition to construction of the permanent Tombstone BBQ at Park City Mountain that was announced last December. The new Tombstone BBQ will complete the suite of transformative dining improvements and the Resort’s commitment to culinary excellence. The restaurant will open in time for the 2019-20 season and include seating for up to 50 guests, indoor restrooms, a beer bar and a full kitchen to allow for the use of reusable serve ware.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Vail Resorts is working to have some place for Epic passholders to go during early season. The idea is to have Keystone open by late October, and Breck and Vail open by mid-November. Closing dates for 2020 were also announced.

EARLIER OPENINGS, LONGER SEASON, AND ENHANCED GUEST EXPERIENCE FOR THE 2019-2020 WINTER SEASON - 6/3/2019
" . . .
With Keystone’s energy-efficient, automated snowmaking system improvements, it expects to open for the 2019-20 winter season in October, as early as conditions allow. By its traditional opening day in November, Keystone will offer top-to-bottom skiing and snowboarding, doubling the terrain access than has typically been open at that time. Keystone plans to be open from October to April 12, 2020.
. . .
. . . Breckenridge will open for the 2019-20 winter season on November 8 and will be open through May 25, 2020, conditions permitting. . . .
. . .
Vail’s extensive snowmaking upgrades and expansion taking place this summer will ensure a pre-Thanksgiving opening day each year. Nearly 200 acres of new and enhanced snowmaking terrain will provide guests with earlier access to higher elevation terrain, top-to-bottom skiing and snowboarding, access from two base areas, and improved early season ski school terrain. Vail will be open November 15, 2019 to April 19, 2020.

Beaver Creek will expand snowmaking capabilities at Red Buffalo Park, providing more reliable early season terrain in a key beginner area of the upper mountain. The resort will aim to offer more than 3,300 vertical feet of top-to-bottom skiing and snowboarding on opening day each year. Beaver Creek will be open November 27, 2019 to April 12, 2020.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone in the northeast or mid-Atlantic who already bought an Epic pass or is considering Epic is in a very different situation as of July 22, 2019. Vail Resorts announced a "merger" with Peak Resorts. Also changes the situation for folks who have had season passes at the Peak Resorts in OH, MO, or IN.

NH: Attitash, Wildcat, Crotched
VT: Mount Snow
NY: Hunter
PA: Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail, Jack Frost and Big Boulder
OH: Alpine Valley*, Boston Mills, Brandywine, Mad River Mountain
MO: Hidden Valley*, Snow Creek*
IN: Paoli Peaks*

* - not on Peak Pass 2019-20

For more about the impending change in ownership:
Vail acquires Peak Resorts

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just checked on prices for the "local" Epic pass, and asked if the currently listed price goes up sometime in the fall. The guy said yes, end of august usually, but no firm date yet. I told him I was interested in buying only if the Peak Resorts purchase goes through, since those are the mountains I'd ski. But waiting until that purchase "closes" might mean I have to buy after the price goes up. He said to check back in a couple of weeks, as there are lots of people like me waiting.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The real question is whether VR will offer regional Epic passes for PA and/or the northeast. Given that Peak passes will be honored for 2019-20, I don't expect that to happen yet. But would make sense in the future.

There are regional Epic passes for Tahoe and Colorado. Possible to get a 1-resort Epic pass for Kirkwood, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton, and Wilmot from the Epic Pass website. Senior options vary by location too. Also possible to get a pass for just W-B from the W-B website, which was a surprise.

Don't think a regional pass for the midwest makes sense. Single resort passes are a great idea. The "urban" ski areas are all about the same. They are each about an hour from a major midwest city (Minn/St. Paul, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus). Not much point to drive farther to a different small hill.

SkiDaze

Diva in Training
This was the topic yesterday morning in the lodge! Do you have any idea what the difference is between retired military and veteran military? And no I did not go and try and look it up so I am being admittedly lazy! I ask as I had suggested military discounts to a couple of the guys yesterday.
Retired military is a length of service leading to official military retirement status and benefits (don’t quote me but I think minimum of 20 years) , while I believe anyone who served for any length of time in one of the armed services branches is considered a veteran.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Retired military is a length of service leading to official military retirement status and benefits (don’t quote me but I think minimum of 20 years) , while I believe anyone who served for any length of time in one of the armed services branches is considered a veteran.
Correct. Military retirement is at or after 20 years. For those who retired from active duty, retired pay starts right away. For those who retired from the Reserves or National Guard, retired pay doesn’t start until age 60. Most if not all who retired from active duty go on to have a second career. Some go on to work for the federal government as a civilian and retire from that too. Such “double dippers” receive two retirement checks from Uncle Sam.

Veterans are anyone who served. The DD214 issued to them upon separation verifies their status.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
How easy should it be to get a replacement DD214? Know someone who served a long time ago who has no idea where his paperwork is at this point.
Ooooh, it was heavily drummed into our heads never to misplace the DD214 :nono:. I would guess the Veterans Administration is a first stop? My separation was over 20 years ago. I vaguely remember they had us put down a home county where they will also send the DD214 to be registered. But who knows if that actually happened or what the county actually did with the paperwork. If it happened, however, he should be able to get a replacement copy from county records.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone in the northeast or mid-Atlantic who already bought an Epic pass or is considering Epic is in a very different situation as of July 22, 2019. Vail Resorts announced a "merger" with Peak Resorts. Also changes the situation for folks who have had season passes at the Peak Resorts in OH, MO, or IN.

NH: Attitash, Wildcat, Crotched
VT: Mount Snow
NY: Hunter
PA: Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail, Jack Frost and Big Boulder
OH: Alpine Valley*, Boston Mills, Brandywine, Mad River Mountain
MO: Hidden Valley*, Snow Creek*
IN: Paoli Peaks*

* - not on Peak Pass 2019-20

For more about the impending change in ownership:
Vail acquires Peak Resorts
Noticed that the Peak Resorts locations are listed separately on the webpage for a full Epic Pass. Have to scroll to the bottom below Europe and Japan. They aren't listed for the Epic Day Pass at the moment.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Maybe waiting for final approval....
Yes, that's noted. But the placement makes it harder to find since the Peak locations are not together with the other U.S. locations. Some people who haven't already bought a multi-resort pass may think about buying one in Sept. before the sale is due to be final and may miss the addition.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Using Compare Pass on the Epic website pulls up a set of filter checkboxes than can help narrow down the options for someone who knows which resorts/regions they want to get to this season. For someone who has to ski during holiday periods, I'm starting to appreciate why the Epic Day pass might be worth while.

To ski at any of the RCR locations--all in Canada--must buy the Full Epic. The so called Epic Local doesn't included RCR at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't really paid attention to the deadlines for Epic passes before. Looks like the final day to buy is usually a Sunday just before the American Thanksgiving. Sales ended on Nov. 19 in 2017 and Nov. 14 in 2018.

Prices go up on Sep. 2 this fall. As of early August, Full Epic is $939, Epic Local is $699, and the daily cost with the new Epic Day Pass (1-7 days) starts at $106/day. The locations available using an Epic Day Pass are pretty limited if buy less than 4 days.

That means in Sep and Oct 2019, the price of Full Epic will be pretty close to the price of Full Ikon. Even in Aug, it's pretty close with Full Ikon at $1049.

marzNC

Angel Diva
marzNC, your info is very helpful. Thanks for going to the trouble to do this for the community.
I appreciate everyone's questions and comments. I learn a lot chasing down info when my curiosity is stirred. Season pass prices are a moving target and even figuring out when to make a decision isn't easy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For people who live in Colorado, SLC, or near W-B, and are taking young kids, K-G5 to the slopes, the Epic School Kids program is worth checking out. As far as I can tell, don't need to be a local resident. But must do the application in person with the kid and the deadline is some time in the fall.

Get 4 free days at all five VR locations in Colorado. For Park City and W-B, get 5 free days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly