• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Endurance or Power?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are you better at? If you know or had to guess, would you say you're an endurance (slow-twitch muscle) person or power (fast-twitch) person?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Despite my scrawny, lean appearance, I actually seem to be better with shorts bursts of energy than endurance. Maybe that's why I was drawn to gymnastics. I always thought I was probably just an out of shape endurance-type person, but the fact that I can out-sprint mr. tinymoose for short distances before he leaves me in the dust made me start thinking maybe I was wrong about being built for endurance. Then I uploaded my DNA info to 23andme on DNA day and one of the free results they offered that day (assuming their test is accurate) said I have a muscle composition common in power athletes.

I was mostly curious what most people here perceive themselves as, as most of my friends and family seem to prefer and feel that they're better at endurance.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I used to be a middle distance runner - 220 up to the mile - so I'm going with power over endurance. Not a true sprinter, but I could never really run more than a couple miles without dying, even when I was in the best shape of my life. Quite a shock when I competed in college (half mile) and we were sent out for five mile runs to warm up! (There might have been a lack of motivation involved, too, however.)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Used to be endurance but I do a training program that includes power type activities. Has made my bicycle hill climbing much easier.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What are you better at? If you know or had to guess, would you say you're an endurance (slow-twitch muscle) person or power (fast-twitch) person?
As a tween/teen, definitely power over endurance. Sprinting was easy. I could make use of short busts of speed as a mid-fielder playing soccer. Being on the petite size was not an issue because of my speed. Turned out to be true playing basketball too. Lacrosse required much more endurance and I wasn't great at it and didn't like the sport much. Was required to learn because I was a 9th grader at a New England prep school for girls. One reason I was always more nervous when learning to swim was lack of endurance.

As an older advance skier, I'm sticking to lift-served resort skiing with no interest in going uphill on skis or cross-country because of lack of endurance. I'm in pretty good shape in terms of cardio. So I guess I'm still have more power than endurance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna