• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Enable me or don’t. Cashmere sweater for skiing

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
As long as it’s a high quality sweater, it will last you for years and years. Your cost per wear will be low because you’ll always want to reach for it. No, you don’t need it for skiing, but it’s absolutely OK to spend a bit more on comfortable clothes that you love because you’ll get good use out of it.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s an interesting idea. I have a nice one that I wear to the office etc. But since I won’t be working in the office any time soon, I could wear it for skiing? Haven’t thought of that!

A few quick questions though:

Will it absorb sweat and get stinky?

How often do you wash it?

Jilly

Staff member
I wouldn't wear it skiing. Even with a top base layer I think it would get stinky etc. I haven't wore wool in some time skiing.

Keep it for apres ski.

I agree with the cost per wear theory, good cashmere will last for years. I do find quite a variation in quality and non-itchiness with cashmere though, so choose wisely!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I agree with the cost per wear theory, good cashmere will last for years. I do find quite a variation in quality and non-itchiness with cashmere though, so choose wisely!
Cashmere has gotten so thin since I bought my first sweater. And it’s not just the cheaper stuff, either.

Christy

Angel Diva
If it's pricey, it is hopefully the more sustainably sourced kind, and good quality. So you should buy it to support these efforts! But don't wear it skiing--make it last.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Cashmere has gotten so thin since I bought my first sweater. And it’s not just the cheaper stuff, either.
^^^ totally agree. Cashmere is not what it used to be. I'm not one for hanging on to things (especially clothes) but still have the thick black cashmere cowl neck my mother bought me for Christmas from I.Magnin DECADES ago. It has never pilled and still looks beautiful. I have had many cashmere sweaters since and none are anywhere near the quality my black one is !

Jenny

Angel Diva
Cashmere has gotten so thin since I bought my first
^^^ totally agree. Cashmere is not what it used to be. I'm not one for hanging on to things (especially clothes) but still have the thick black cashmere cowl neck my mother bought me for Christmas from I.Magnin DECADES ago. It has never pilled and still looks beautiful. I have had many cashmere sweaters since and none are anywhere near the quality my black one is !
My first one was black, too, and I still have it. I don’t wear it as much as the others, but it is noticeably thicker and never pills, either. I saved up for it, and bought it at Hudson's (which became Marshall Field's) within probably four years of graduating college, so, yeah - decades.

Trying to figure out how to salvage my red one - I’ve worn it so much the elbows are basically bare threads. But I love it, more than any other one I have.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My first one was black, too, and I still have it. I don’t wear it as much as the others, but it is noticeably thicker and never pills, either. I saved up for it, and bought it at Hudson's (which became Marshall Field's) within probably four years of graduating college, so, yeah - decades.

Trying to figure out how to salvage my red one - I’ve worn it so much the elbows are basically bare threads. But I love it, more than any other one I have.
leather or suede patches ?

Tvan

Angel Diva
I love cashmere, but not for skiing. That, however, does not mean that you shouldn't get it. You definitely should. Maybe you need two.

Jilly

Staff member
All but one of mine all came from England when my parents were on trips. One is from an expensive local shop that had a 1/2 price sale or something that I went to.

Jenny

Angel Diva
leather or suede patches ?
I thought about that but I think they’d be heavy. Was considering taking it somewhere and asking if they could cut off the sleeves and make it short sleeved.

Also wondered about thrift shopping and how likely I’d be to find another one the same shade of rEd and then pillaging that to make patches somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly