• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Embarrassing mom moments

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So yesterday we skied Alpe Cimbra (no sign of Ted Ligety or the US team though) and the lifts there are OLD. While riding with my 6 year old I was so preoccupied with making sure he was safe getting down that I forgot to get off the lift myself. they had to stop it and I had to jump onto an embankment and then ski down it. It was pretty dang embarrassing. Not sure how I made such a rookie move.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Mine was a grandma moment. Some years ago granddaughter (then age 8 or 9) and I were getting on the lift and managed to fall off right at the start. (Lift had to be stopped and we had to be extricated from a pile of snow.) That was a year I was actually teaching at that hill - and was SO thankful I wasn't wearing my ski school jacket for this incident!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was on a catwalk with my son and he turned to head down a blue towards the wrong side of the mountain, so I stopped and yelled and started waddling backward to help get him back up where he needed to be, and then he skied forward and kind of under my skis and then I fell over backwards on top of him and he couldn't get up. I swear I know how to ski.

newboots

Angel Diva
When I was a first year skier, I took my daughter (a snowboarder who might as well have been a never-ever) to Okemo for a
vacation. Got her an afternoon’s lesson, and planned on meeting up the next morning with a friend who knew the mountain. She was late. I called and said we were booted up and wanted to go. She said, “Don’t take her on Mountain Road. It needs to be much steeper for a snowboarder.”

Did I listen? Well, Mountain Road was the only trail where I was comfortable, so no. It is literally flat in many places, and never steep. My poor kid. She didn’t realize it was okay to be dragged by a skier’s pole, so she refused that as a totally uncool mom-move. She fell, and fell, and fell. That night at the inn her legs were one big red bruise from knee to ankle.

She refuses to snowboard (or ski) ever again.

We are working on her! And my little granddaughter!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have repressed memories of getting tangled up with my daughter when she was 7 at a local hill when I wasn't paying enough attention before we reached the top of a slow quad chair. She was a solid intermediate by then. She went off unscathed but I was in a heap trying to stay low enough so that the next chair would go over me if the liftie didn't stop it in time.

AppleJacks207

Certified Ski Diva
When I was a first year skier, I took my daughter (a snowboarder who might as well have been a never-ever) to Okemo for a
vacation. Got her an afternoon’s lesson, and planned on meeting up the next morning with a friend who knew the mountain. She was late. I called and said we were booted up and wanted to go. She said, “Don’t take her on Mountain Road. It needs to be much steeper for a snowboarder.”

Did I listen? Well, Mountain Road was the only trail where I was comfortable, so no. It is literally flat in many places, and never steep. My poor kid. She didn’t realize it was okay to be dragged by a skier’s pole, so she refused that as a totally uncool mom-move. She fell, and fell, and fell. That night at the inn her legs were one big red bruise from knee to ankle.

She refuses to snowboard (or ski) ever again.

We are working on her! And my little granddaughter!
My Dad used to wait at the top of trails we knew would flat out and then come bombing down into the flat, trying to thread the needle between my snowboarder sister and me (I was on a board too) so we could catch a ride on his poles

I hope your daughter will try again - either a board on a less flat trail, or even skis on any trail!!

newboots

Angel Diva
I hope your daughter will try again - either a board on a less flat trail, or even skis on any trail!

I just mentioned on another thread - she is an amazing ice skater (hockey goalie for many, many years), her husband a runner, and they hike a lot. So I'm not worried about it. She will find her way. I know she is going to let us take my darling granddaughter skiing, and perhaps she will catch the bug at that time!

AppleJacks207

Certified Ski Diva
I just mentioned on another thread - she is an amazing ice skater (hockey goalie for many, many years), her husband a runner, and they hike a lot. So I'm not worried about it. She will find her way. I know she is going to let us take my darling granddaughter skiing, and perhaps she will catch the bug at that time!
Oh, cool! My little nephew is just beginning to play hockey and really loves it. There are definitely so many ways to have fun being active

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One powder day my daughter had an accident in ski school. I bought her new base layers at the base and met them at a lodge. The skiing was really good - so I skied the rest of the day with pee soaked under layers in a plastic bag under my coat. I got a lot of weird looks. Not sure the pregnant pee smell lady is many people’s favorite chairlift buddy.

KristinB

Certified Ski Diva
The dreaded chairlift story....There was a crowd in front of the lift, which had a short but a bit steep descent. I was trying to help my daughter, she lost her balance and pulled me, and then fell. I had no where to go and went down too. The chair lift operator was slow, so the chair behind us fell off and then all the people in front finally moved. My daughter somehow managed to get her skis on top of my head, and of course could not get up. A kind gentlemen finally ran over and offered to help me up, to which I replied that I needed to get my daughter and her skis off my head first. He finally helped my daughter, I popped up, and we skied off....and I am fairly certain everyone was watching us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly