• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Elevate Women’s Ski Camp

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes it’s only July and yes I’m starting to plan my ski season and figure out which pass to buy. I’m interested in the Jackson Hole Elevate women’s ski camp. I read a thread from a few years ago about it but I’m wondering if anyone has any more recent experience or is thinking of going. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Paging @RuthB , @snoWYmonkey .

Summer is the best time to start planning trips out west IMHO. :wink:

What month are you thinking of going? I trust you know about Diva West at JH for 2020. JH has one of the best ski schools for the destination resorts on the MCP based on my experience, especially for advanced/expert skiers and boarders.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paging @RuthB , @snoWYmonkey .

Summer is the best time to start planning trips out west IMHO. :wink:

What month are you thinking of going? I trust you know about Diva West at JH for 2020. JH has one of the best ski schools for the destination resorts on the MCP based on my experience, especially for advanced/expert skiers and boarders.
I believe the Elevate Camp is happening January 13 -17 2020 which I think is earlier than Diva West. JH also has a women's ski camp in March but those dates don't work for me. I have done a two ski camp at Okemo and have taken a few privates over the past few years but I am hoping to intensify my instruction to get my skiing to the next level. Thanks for responding to my posting and any feedback is appreciated!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Quick look turned up an article from last fall that looks useful but doesn't really answer your question.

https://www.startribune.com/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-a-women-s-ski-camp/501584561/

I have done a two ski camp at Okemo and have taken a few privates over the past few years but I am hoping to intensify my instruction to get my skiing to the next level.
Have you read the info I wrote up for Taos Ski Week 2020? Based on the experience of friends and my own over the last couple years, I think it's hard to beat a Ski Week for someone who wants to improve their technique. Great for any abilities level from advanced beginner thru expert. Have met quite a few people who ski very challenging terrain (steeps, chutes, trees) who have been doing a Ski Week annually for a decade or two.

Several Divas will be headed to Taos in early Feb. I went with some Divas in Jan 2019. Along with Alta Lodge, doing a Taos Ski Week is something I would consider doing solo if I didn't have friends interested in joining me.

Taos Ski Week in 2020, what week fits in your schedule better?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes it’s only July and yes I’m starting to plan my ski season and figure out which pass to buy. I’m interested in the Jackson Hole Elevate women’s ski camp. I read a thread from a few years ago about it but I’m wondering if anyone has any more recent experience or is thinking of going. Thanks!
Did you have any questions about the camp in addition to who on this great site is thinking of attending? I have ciached in the past and continue to when my schedule permits, which is less and less as other types of lessons take over. The earlier camp often has better snow.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did the camp in 2017 and 2018 and loved it! I even had an epic crash and got injured in the 2018 camp and would still recommend it lolz :smile:

The camp has a wider range of skiers than the marketing materials would lead you to believe. It actually took me a few years to work up the confidence to even sign up for the camp because I thought I wasn't good enough. But it is truly everyone from early intermediate to expert. @Mary Brosnan would this also be your first trip to Jackson Hole? The camp is a great way to learn the mountain, since the instructors will take you all over and comfortably push you out of your comfort zone. "Out of your comfort zone" was actually a big theme of the camp both years I went. Not sure if they still frame it this way though. It's a good mix of technical skills combined with the mental game of skiing (confidence, fear, etc.), but that is not everyone's cup of tea I know. A big reason I go is to meet other women skiers because most of my skiing at home is with dudes and I also work in tech, which is 80% men. I am still in touch with a lot of the people from my group the first year, so that is an added benefit.

Anything else specific you want to know about? Schedule? Lodging? @snoWYmonkey can answer lots about the instruction part since she works there :smile: I think I am up to 7 trips to JH so I can help with other travel questions if you have them too!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did the camp in 2017 and 2018 and loved it! I even had an epic crash and got injured in the 2018 camp and would still recommend it lolz :smile:

The camp has a wider range of skiers than the marketing materials would lead you to believe. It actually took me a few years to work up the confidence to even sign up for the camp because I thought I wasn't good enough. But it is truly everyone from early intermediate to expert. @Mary Brosnan would this also be your first trip to Jackson Hole? The camp is a great way to learn the mountain, since the instructors will take you all over and comfortably push you out of your comfort zone. "Out of your comfort zone" was actually a big theme of the camp both years I went. Not sure if they still frame it this way though. It's a good mix of technical skills combined with the mental game of skiing (confidence, fear, etc.), but that is not everyone's cup of tea I know. A big reason I go is to meet other women skiers because most of my skiing at home is with dudes and I also work in tech, which is 80% men. I am still in touch with a lot of the people from my group the first year, so that is an added benefit.

Anything else specific you want to know about? Schedule? Lodging? @snoWYmonkey can answer lots about the instruction part since she works there :smile: I think I am up to 7 trips to JH so I can help with other travel questions if you have them too!

Thank you so much for this wonderful reply! You really answered all my questions and more. From what you described the camp offers exactly what I am looking for - a mix of technique and help with the always important and often elusive (for me) confidence that is so needed to make progress with skiing.

My main ski partners are my husband and two sons. I live in Brooklyn, NY and have no female friends that ski. It's nice to hear that you keep in touch with friends you made in the camp because I am always looking for women to ski with! Was it easy to make friends during the camp? If I do this I would be going by myself. Also where did you stay? The hotel they recommend is a bit expensive if I'm by myself.

I skied Jackson Hole for the first time almost 4 years ago. The conditions were not great and as a mostly East Coast skier the mountain felt very tough. I think I have progressed since then but that mountain made me feel like a terrible skier! I am hoping the camp will help me get better and more comfortable with steeper terrain and off piste. Your response is definitely making me want to go. Thank you.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you have any questions about the camp in addition to who on this great site is thinking of attending? I have ciached in the past and continue to when my schedule permits, which is less and less as other types of lessons take over. The earlier camp often has better snow.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am really looking for a camp that will help me improve my technique and push me out of my comfort zone. I skied Jackson 4 winters ago and found the mountain pretty tough. I was a bit worried the camp might be too advanced for me as a level 7 skier but from the response from @DeweySki describes the camp as having a wide range of skiers. It sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for!

Kirstie

Diva in Training
I did the elevate camp in 2014 - so not too recent. I too have no female friends that ski and I wanted a girls ski holiday and hopefully get better at skiing too!

The camp was great - a lot of the ladies return year after year - so they knew each other very well - but they were welcoming and friendly. I was in the lowest skilled group and I think we all improved and had fun too. One of the highlights was the day when a female pro skis with your group for the morning. That pushed us as a group and made for a memorable morning.

I stayed in the Teton Mountain Lodge - It was expensive as a single traveler - but it was a birthday present so I made the most of it! A lot of the camp girls stayed in the lodge too - so you got to see them and chat at breakfast which was lovely.

Make sure you're very clear about what you want to get out of the camp. They split you into groups according to ability on the first day. If your goal is off piste and steeps - that may sway their decision on what group you go in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly