• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Elan Ripsticks or Salomon QST Lux

Bdavis824

Diva in Training
Hey everyone!!

I am so excited I found this forum and community! I am looking for some advice on buying new skis. I would consider myself an intermediate/advanced skier in the southeast region, with one trip out west each year starting this year! We try to plan our trips with the weather here – so to avoid the extremely icy conditions, but that can’t always be avoided! I ski primarily groomers and enjoy a good carve, but every time it snows I am off on the sides of the trails and starting to venture in the trees some! I will do some small jumps with my husband but nothing too crazy. I like a little bit of everything on the mountain – excepts for moguls are not my favorite….

I think it is time for an upgrade of my current skis! I currently am skiing 2008 K2 Lottaluv, though they were too much of a ski for me when I first got them I have grown into them and absolutely love them now! Sadly, I tore my ACL this past year and really want a ski that is a little easier and more playful. Something that can handle off-piste but also carve some.

I am currently looking at:
  • Elan ripstick 86 - Light, playful, but still stable. Wide enough to handle some fresh snow. I had considered the 94 but felt they would be too wide for primarily east coast groomers.
  • Salomon qst lux 92 – Seems to handle well in all conditions, a little stiffer than ripsticks

I have seen some of the previous posts and reviews about the Ripsticks but was curious if anyone had a comparison to the Salomons. Thanks for any feedback or recommendations!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hey everyone!!

I am so excited I found this forum and community! I am looking for some advice on buying new skis. I would consider myself an intermediate/advanced skier in the southeast region, with one trip out west each year starting this year! We try to plan our trips with the weather here – so to avoid the extremely icy conditions, but that can’t always be avoided! I ski primarily groomers and enjoy a good carve, but every time it snows I am off on the sides of the trails and starting to venture in the trees some! I will do some small jumps with my husband but nothing too crazy. I like a little bit of everything on the mountain – excepts for moguls are not my favorite….

I think it is time for an upgrade of my current skis! I currently am skiing 2008 K2 Lottaluv, though they were too much of a ski for me when I first got them I have grown into them and absolutely love them now! Sadly, I tore my ACL this past year and really want a ski that is a little easier and more playful. Something that can handle off-piste but also carve some.

I am currently looking at:
  • Elan ripstick 86 - Light, playful, but still stable. Wide enough to handle some fresh snow. I had considered the 94 but felt they would be too wide for primarily east coast groomers.
  • Salomon qst lux 92 – Seems to handle well in all conditions, a little stiffer than ripsticks

I have seen some of the previous posts and reviews about the Ripsticks but was curious if anyone had a comparison to the Salomons. Thanks for any feedback or recommendations!
Many of us had the old Lotta Luv's. They were probably too much ski for me too as quite heavy skis! I did ski them for 4-5 years though. I'm more in the advanced category but there are several out there I'm interested in demoing...

Blizzard Sheeva 9 - 92 underfoot
Nordica Santa Ana 93
Elan Ripstick - the new 88
Head Kore 93W - actually 89 underfoot not 93
Nordica Santa Ana 88

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe for the sake of knee health, pick the narrower Elan (86) or Salomon (92). The Black Pearl 88 or 82 might be something to consider too.

Welcome to the forum!

teppaz

Angel Diva
I have tried the Salomon QST 92 and 99 (unisex versions of the Lux and the Lumen, respectively) on trips in the Rockies and am a big fan. I found them versatile and responsive. I ended up buying the QST 99.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just demo the Elan Ripstick 94 and 102 today. Fun skis! The 94s are light and does well on powder/moguls but they are too light to handle hardpack/cruds for me. They felt unstable and chattered too much at high speed. I did not try the 88 as I was told they are even lighter. The 102 are actually very fun skis - heavier and more stable and those edges are solid on groomers. Both are lower speed skis compared to my Kastle MX89 and Limited, but I don’t really need that much speed for powder or moguls.
Another ski that I tried and liked was Blizzard Black Pearl 98. They are fast and fun, but heavier and stiffer than the Elan. If I did not already have 3 pairs of carving skis, I’d probably get the BP98 as my one ski quiver. I was looking specifically for mid to high 90s underfoot and ended up with the new Kastle FX 96. It rides right between the Ripstick and BP in terms of weight, dampness and speed.
I am a fan of Kastle skis and this year they have a line of women skis that are lighter than their normal line up. Their prices seem to be the reason why most don’t consider the brand, but the women skis are priced at $699 (instead of $1300), so that is closer to what most other brands are charging. Worth a try if they are available in your area. I’d think the DX85w may work for you.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Bdavis824
84 or 88 Ripstick ? Different skis.
I own 94's as my backcountry set up.
Never got along with previous years Salomon.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hi @Bdavis824 - welcome!

You didn’t mention your specs (height/weight). Those are helpful in ski suggestions as a super lightweight will generally be happy on a different ski than someone more powerfully built . I ski in New England, am 5’9”/140ish and like a ski that is commensurate with my height, but that isn’t too stiff. I am a finesse skier and favor a stable but more playful ski.

I have not been on the QST 92, but own the Ripstick 94 - super fun ski, but I agree perhaps not your best choice for a one ski on the east coast.

Not knowing your specs, here are two of my favorites, one in the mid 80s and one in the low 90s:
  • Nordica Astral 84ti (84mm). I demoed the 165 - I would happily own this ski. I didn’t over power the 165 but may be even happier on the 172. This ski doesn’t get much press and I don’t understand why! It is the women’s version of the men’s Navigator. I should demo the Navigator 85 172.
  • Blizzard Sheeva 9 (92mm). My daily driver in New England. Love match for me. I have the 172cm

Blizzard Sheeva 9 - 92 underfoot
Nordica Santa Ana 93
Elan Ripstick - the new 88
Head Kore 93W - actually 89 underfoot not 93
Nordica Santa Ana 88
On a side note, the Head Kore 93 and 93W do a size progressive waist width - the 93 is for a 180cm. The 93W in the 153 and 162 are 89mm, the 171 is 91mm. I bet they kept the 93 in the name since it is the same as the men’s line.

Bdavis824

Diva in Training
All, thanks for the suggestions! I am 5'8" and 155lbs. I think I am leaning towards the Ripsticks but would love it if I could demo them first. I too was concerned about the chatter and stability of the Ripstick. I will take a look at the Kastle and Nordica Astral.

Thanks!

LPski

Diva in Training
The Salomon's are on my list to demo. I've be in Chicago for the past 6 months for work (home is So Cal) and I met a female Salomon rep at the Ski Expo in Chicago. I was there to take a look at the Santa Ana 88's but stopped by the Salomon booth. That rep was skiing the QST Lux 92's and loved them. Let us know what you think. I hope to try them out soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly