• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Effect of heel lifts?

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
So, I bought a pair of used touring boots on eBay - mostly to gauge for fit. I have very small but wide feet (21.5/22) and can't buy touring boots locally and I didn't want to spend $$$ ordering a pair that didn't fit. I found a pair of Scarpa Freedom in pretty good condition and they indeed fit well. Kudos to Scarpa for making a true size 22 shell.

When I tried them out today I found I could barely turn. It felt like I was pitching forward and my weight was on my toes. After a couple of runs on the bunny slope, I switched back to my alpine gear (and could turn again, whew!)

When I got home, I discovered that there are heel lifts in the boot. They are quite thick (1/4"). Would that be enough to explain why I felt so out of balance? At first, I thought the problem might be the forward lean, but they're set at the default of 14 degrees, which I think is pretty similar to my Dalbellos. I can adjust the forward lean to 10 degrees if that would help.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heel lifts can affect balance in the manner you described. 22 is a small boot size so any herl lift will affect your balance more than someone with a larger boot. Glad you got rid of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly