• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Early ideas for trip planning out west

Melody

Diva in Training
My son and I are looking to go out west this winter. We've only been east coast skiers. (Hunter, Mount Snow, Sunday River, Killington) - so we like groomed intermediate slopes. While I'd like decent vertical drop and some challenge, we are looking for very intermediate friendly.
There's so many factors to consider - I'm not sure where to start.
We'd prefer non-crowded slopes with short or non-existant lift lines over massive popular resorts with all the amenities. However, going out west, I'd love great scenery in the Rockies. I'd love to stay in slopeside lodging, but cost is a concern. So I'm looking for a good value. I'd be ok with renting a car and staying in more of a condo type lodging than a fancy hotel, but am concerned with winter driving. Should I look for places with shuttles from an airport or just rent and hope there's not a big storm? Maybe places near Salt Lake City would be better and closer to the airport?
Any ideas for a first time big trip out west that is budget friendly?
Thanks!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I would recommend Keystone. There are frequent shuttles from the airport, though I don't know their current cost.

Keystone has lots of long intermediate runs, quite a few groomed black diamonds, and almost all the lifts are high speed.

The slopes are not that crowded except during Christmas and President's weekend. If you stay at Keystone, you can also take a free shuttle to Breckenridge.

The views are excellent.

There's lots of slopeside lodging that is not that expensive. PM me, I have 2 condos near the Gondola, and I can quote you my rates with a Diva discount. Or you can check VRBO to get an idea. But this is not a sales pitch, I really think that Keystone will meet your needs.

mustski

Angel Diva
Keystone is a great choice. We shuttled from the airport and then stayed at the resort. I believe the keystone shuttle also goes to ABasin and @skibum4ever condos are lovely . We stayed in one of them and I highly recommend!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm partial to SLC for a few reasons.

1) Lower altitude than Colorado so less adjustment needed, especially when staying in the city at around 4500 ft
2) SLC airport very rarely has weather issues. SLC airport is much closer to the major resorts than DIA.
3) Easy to find lodging at any price point. Budget motels in SLC, VRBO in SLC, Solitude, or Park City, or in Eden for skiing Snowbasin and/or Powder Mountain.
4) Usually fine for driving but in the event of a snowstorm there are bus options

For mid-week skiing it's not that hard to avoid crowds even at Alta or Snowbird.

The SLC Superpass combined with staying at an SLC motel can be a cost-effective way to explore Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton during a 1-week ski vacation.

We've only been east coast skiers. (Hunter, Mount Snow, Sunday River, Killington) - so we like groomed intermediate slopes. While I'd like decent vertical drop and some challenge, we are looking for very intermediate friendly.
Are you skiing only the blues at Hunter? Or do you ski the groomed blacks too? Reason I ask is that if you sometimes ski groomed blacks in the northeast then the groomed terrain at Snowbird is worth checking out. I introduced a family from NYC who skied in the Catskills and at Gore and Whiteface to Snowbird a few years ago. They loved Mineral Basin during a spring break trip.

What timeframe are you considering?

Melody

Diva in Training
I'm not sure of the time frame yet.
Ideally, it would be a week in mid January or February, but might need to be mid to late March...
We ski the groomed blacks at Hunter, Gore & Mount Snow also. (I ski most double blacks as well but my son does not and he's not a fan of moguls either.)
Thanks!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every year, we have a "Diva West" gathering and a "Diva East" gathering. Once you have 20 (or is it 25?) posts, you'll have access to those threads. Diva West will be at Aspen this season. I don't know how budget-friendly it will be. Some people share condos and eat in a bit.

Aspen certainly has the kind of terrain you're looking for and you'd have small groups of like skill levels so you and your son could each ski how and where you wanted.

Not sure this really fits, but wanted to make you aware of it so you can look for those threads when you have access.

Christy

Angel Diva
Groomed slopes+vertical+challenge+Rockies+great scenery+no crowds/lines=Sun Valley.

It also works for being cost conscious and not wanting to deal with winter driving. It sounds like you want a condo--I'd recommend Pennay's. https://tinyurl.com/y862h3js There are of course plenty of VRBOs too and some are pretty inexpensive so look at those. You don't need to stay AT the mountain there (there isn't much in the way of slopeside lodging anyway) because there are free and frequent buses that everyone uses, and the mountain base is less than a mile from town.

SV is on the Mountain Collective, so that's a good way to save on lift tickets.

You don't need a car at all in SV--we rarely get one--but if you fly into Boise, which might be easiest, you would probably want one. Rental cars are cheap in Boise and there are no passes to cross on the way to SV (also no traffic) so winter driving is rarely an issue.

It will be a longer trip than going to UT or CO but worth it. Ketchum is a great town with good groceries, restaurants, etc.

My caveat is, SV is not good in late March so if that's when the trip is, pass on it.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am an ALTA Holic.. coming from the East Coast, Flying Swest (On points) to Salt Lake City take the airport shuttle up to Goldminers Daughter lodge (slopeside) Or Alta Lodge. Lodging rates includes breakfast and dinner and 3pm snacks (at GMD & Alta Lodge) GMD has elevator. I love skiing with NO Snowboarders (sorry boarders) allowed at Alta.. AND you can go next door to Snowbird-with snowboarders via shuttle or ski over from the top (with ticket to ski/Snowbird) you do not need a car at Alta there is no town. Just skiing an a few hotels.

Yes to Sun Valley! Also a great town easy to walk around and uncrowded slopes- fabulous groomers
Another uncrowded with Lots of blues an black groomers is Telluride. SPECTACULAR scenery

Flying in to Denver there are shuttles to resorts. What ever you choose you'll probably be like me and go West every year for the powder, spectacular scenery and Great Skiing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm not sure of the time frame yet.
Ideally, it would be a week in mid January or February, but might need to be mid to late March...
We ski the groomed blacks at Hunter, Gore & Mount Snow also. (I ski most double blacks as well but my son does not and he's not a fan of moguls either.)
Thanks!
Mid-Feb is usually a bit better from a snow standpoint than mid-Jan. The second half of March can be a very good time to find a few bargains for lodging and airfare pretty much anywhere in the Rockies.

My guess is that the two of you would enjoy Snowbird, as well as the other ski resorts in Utah.

I know of a family who started out staying at Brian Head. Much less expensive for lift tickets and lodge, not crowded, and big enough for first timers out west. In theory, could start with a few days at Brian Head to get acclimated, then finish up with week in SLC.

Are you thinking of having your son do any lessons during the trip? How about yourself? If you get lucky and catch a powder storm, definitely worth working with an instructor. Soft snow out west is generally easy for northeast skiers, but not when there is 6+ inches of fresh powder everywhere and it's still snowing. Even in late March and early April, possible to have a storm that drops 10+ inches in less than 24 hours.

The lodges in the town of Alta are great. Staying in a dorm room is not really expensive for ski in/out because meals are included. But still more expensive than staying in a motel in Sandy/Midvale. It's possible to find a motel near a bus stop, but car rental rates are relatively low in SLC and make for a more relaxing vacation. One way to save a little is to rent 2WD and take the UTA Ski Bus if there is snow on the canyon roads.

Another uncrowded with Lots of blues an black groomers is Telluride. SPECTACULAR scenery
While the terrain and lack of crowds makes Telluride a good bet from a skiing standpoint, it's very hard to do a low budget trip. However, ski clubs can get some good deals for a ski week at Telluride for double-occupancy. The clubs typically have ski in/out lodging so no car is needed.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Big Sky MT is a bit harder to get to, but it's a new fave of ours for huge variety (with Moonlight Basin it's a lot of terrain) and slope side stays are not as expensive as other resorts. And the scenery is spectacular.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Big Sky MT is a bit harder to get to, but it's a new fave of ours for huge variety (with Moonlight Basin it's a lot of terrain) and slope side stays are not as expensive as other resorts. And the scenery is spectacular.
+1

Big Sky is in my person top five somewhere, along with Alta and Taos. Plenty of terrain for all levels from beginner to expert. Heading back in February. Looking forward to all the new lifts since the last time I was there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna