• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dynastar Cham 2 87 vs Dynastar Glory 89, talk to me, please

Kea

Diva in Training
Greetings, ladies.
I'm a newbie here, an expert skier with park and racing background and severe ankle injury.
My teenage daughter needs a pair of front side - all mountain skis suitable for our local conditions: hard cord, lots of ice, rare powder, crud, nasty moguls, corn, snow conditions change fast. She is a decent skier, started skiing as a toddler and mastered her first doubles before she turned 5, has successfully participated in several races. Her current skis are well outgrown racing Atomic, they do not work very well anywhere except for corduroy. She likes race-style carving on the upper mountain cord and needs skis that can deal with messy snow at lower elevations. She wouldn't mind following me for some off-piste adventures if her new skis would be able to handle some deeper and more dense snow, bumps, drops.
She has ridden my park skis as a temporary solution but wasn't excited about her experience.

My current go-arounds are 2014 Dynastar Cham 87 and I love them. I closely watched many different skis in similar width and have not found a single one that can match my Chams in their ability to do incredibly sharp and short turns in about any snow conditions pretty much at any speed. I carve literally like on my good old racing Fishers and do not feel those 87 mm under my feet. Had my Chams been a bit stiffer, I would have called them my ideal skis.
I have not seen Glory 89 but my understanding is that they have comparable geometry yet metal reinforcement that gives them some extra stiffness.
Can't get my head around. Money are tight. Pretty much no demoing available. Talk to me, please. Thank you

Jilly

Staff member
If you can find a Glory it is more the all mountain/carver she would be looking for. And it's gone for 2018. Also the Cham. Dynastar is back to the Legend and the frontside carvers are the Intense for the new year. Look around the internet, there might be some deals.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Greetings, ladies.
I'm a newbie here, an expert skier with park and racing background and severe ankle injury.
My teenage daughter needs a pair of front side - all mountain skis suitable for our local conditions: hard cord, lots of ice, rare powder, crud, nasty moguls, corn, snow conditions change fast. She is a decent skier, started skiing as a toddler and mastered her first doubles before she turned 5, has successfully participated in several races. Her current skis are well outgrown racing Atomic, they do not work very well anywhere except for corduroy. She likes race-style carving on the upper mountain cord and needs skis that can deal with messy snow at lower elevations. She wouldn't mind following me for some off-piste adventures if her new skis would be able to handle some deeper and more dense snow, bumps, drops.
She has ridden my park skis as a temporary solution but wasn't excited about her experience.

My current go-arounds are 2014 Dynastar Cham 87 and I love them. I closely watched many different skis in similar width and have not found a single one that can match my Chams in their ability to do incredibly sharp and short turns in about any snow conditions pretty much at any speed. I carve literally like on my good old racing Fishers and do not feel those 87 mm under my feet. Had my Chams been a bit stiffer, I would have called them my ideal skis.
I have not seen Glory 89 but my understanding is that they have comparable geometry yet metal reinforcement that gives them some extra stiffness.
Can't get my head around. Money are tight. Pretty much no demoing available. Talk to me, please. Thank you
Hello there! Guess your season is over, isn't it?

From what I remember from demo'ing the Glory 84, agree that it would be a good choice. I liked the Cham 87 when I got lucky and wanted to rent a wider ski for soft snow off-piste at Alta back when my own all-mountain skis weren't quite as well suited to powder. The Glory was on my list to consider as a replacement as skis to take on trips to the Rockies.

What have you read about the Blizzard Black Pearl 88?

Kea

Diva in Training
G'day ladies,
Many thanks for your kind answers.
Yes, indeed, our season is over (mid-October). I'm looking for these skis as a Christmas gift, hoping to find some good online deals. Our local shops are total and utter rip-off, about $1300-$1500 for in-season trending model, no bindings included :smile:. Right now, as the season is over, sale prices are about $1100-$1200 :smile: still no bindings included :smile:
I'm looking at Dynastars because it is my honest believe that this is a great brand that makes ladies models to the same standard of quality as their male counterparts. I do not know what's going on in the business world but many popular stores do not even mention all constructional features of the Dynastar modes to position them down and propel some other brands.
I've got a question to those of you who'd a chance to demo Dynastar Glory: does it ski short? Has anybody tried Dynastar powertrack 165?
My daughter is 159 cm tall 54 kg, very athletic. I'm looking at Glory in 159 cm. The next size up for Glory is 166, whilst the lowest size in Powertracks is 165. I was wondering if Powertrack would be OK for her? If she is only 54 kg, will she flex Powertracks properly?

I would be very grateful to hear your opinions. Thank you

Jilly

Staff member
5'2 and just below 120lb for our American Diva's. (love that Canada is metric and I grew up with both systems!) I'm thinking the 159 in the Glory would be fine. And I think you're right about the Powertrack.

Dynastar and Rossi are sister companies and sharing technologies. I think that Rossi is better for it and Dynastar is not changing as they've got it right already.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Agree with Jilly about 159cm for the Glory. I demo'd the Glory 84 @ 156cm but am a little shorter and a little heavier (5'0", 120 lbs). My all-mountain skis are 159cm and that's the length I rent skis 90-100cm for off-piste a day or two after a powder storm. Only go up to mid-160s when there is lots of powder and the skis have a lot of tip rocker.

Have heard that Level 9 is pretty good about shipping overseas.

Jilly

Staff member
There are some Glory 84's on Asogear. They are an EBay store here in Canada. Not sure on the exchange rate, but might be taking a look at. They mention international shipping on the site. So they ship to you. I'm on my tablet and haven't figured out to insert the link to the site. Google Asogear and use the .ca version.

Kea

Diva in Training
Have heard that Level 9 is pretty good about shipping overseas.

Many thanks for your kind reply. Unfortunately, Dynastar has got distribution agreements that prevent resellers from shipping them outside North America. But some North American companies happily ship through Ebay. I'm looking it that direction. Thank you!

Kea

Diva in Training
There are some Glory 84's on Asogear. They are an EBay store here in Canada. Not sure on the exchange rate, but might be taking a look at. They mention international shipping on the site. So they ship to you. I'm on my tablet and haven't figured out to insert the link to the site. Google Asogear and use the .ca version.

Many, many thanks for your kind help, Jilly!
I have already spoken with Christopher (asogear) through his Ebay store:

"It would cost $137.00 USD including insurance to ship the skis and bindings from Canada to Christchurch rural, New Zealand with FedEx International Priority (IP) and will deliver in 3-5 business days.
FedEx IP is the only option available."

I was looking at Glory in 89 and found it here:
https://www.proskiguy.com/products/...m-w-bindings-incl-poles-at-bin-price-new-2016
This store has online presence on both Amazon and eBay. Surprisingly, eBay store does deliver to NZ but the skis cost USD 537 + delivery, the Amazon store does not deliver but the same skis cost USD 446.51.
I'm puzzled, have contacted the seller to no avail, still waiting.

At this point I'm after the Glory in 89 mm: given my experience with my Cham 87, I believe they will handle our messy snow better than the 84s.

Thank you very much!
Your support and kind attention left me deeply touched.

Kea

Diva in Training

Thank you very much indeed, Jilly, this store (Christopher) does deliver to NZ and I keep this option open. At this point my ideal ski would be the Glory in 89. That store, Proskiguy from Longview, WA, is my best chance to date. I'm awaiting his reply, nervously checking my watch list every hour :smile: Wish me heaps of luck. I'm on a very stretched budget this year, daughter started Uni ( at 14 y o) and we are trying to get through without the student loan.

Thank you very much!

Kea

Diva in Training
5'2 and just below 120lb for our American Diva's. (love that Canada is metric and I grew up with both systems!)
New Zealand has got a triple system: speaking of person's height we use the Imperial system, writing about the same person's height we use the Metric system, talking about the diet, especially how much weight one is supposed to or has shed we use stones :D Communicating with the rest of the world we use the Metric system :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Many thanks for your kind reply. Unfortunately, Dynastar has got distribution agreements that prevent resellers from shipping them outside North America. But some North American companies happily ship through Ebay. I'm looking it that direction. Thank you!

Interesting. Hadn't heard that before. I saw that Amazon plans to be opening up in Australia in 2018. Maybe that will make a difference in New Zealand eventually.

New Zealand has got a triple system: speaking of person's height we use the Imperial system, writing about the same person's height we use the Metric system, talking about the diet, especially how much weight one is supposed to or has shed we use stones :D Communicating with the rest of the world we use the Metric system :smile:

LOL. The Scots like their traditions, don't they? My parents lived in New Zealand for two years when my older brother was a toddler back a long time ago. Was a bit of a culture shock after China and the U.S. They stayed in touch with their New Zealand friends for 60+ years.

Best of luck with the ski shopping. :becky:

Jilly

Staff member
Glad to be of help. I've a life long friend that teaches Chemistry at an all girls school in NZ. She is also a dressage judge..so if you know horses....

Kea

Diva in Training
Glad to be of help. I've a life long friend that teaches Chemistry at an all girls school in NZ. She is also a dressage judge..so if you know horses....

Of cause I know horses LOL, I give them sugar cubes, apples and carrots and they follow me like dogs, sniffing my pockets :smile: After that I talk to them plain English and they walk me wherever I ask them to :smile: My friends call this experience a communication breakthrough, an eye opener and a total horse spoiler :smile: I love horses :smile:

RuthB

Angel Diva
Kea, if you buy from overseas make sure that you allow for GST and customs charges (about $50 for entry and biosecurity levy + GST if the total including shipping is over $400 NZD) into your total price.

Kea

Diva in Training
Kea, if you buy from overseas make sure that you allow for GST and customs charges (about $50 for entry and biosecurity levy + GST if the total including shipping is over $400 NZD) into your total price.

Thank you very much for your valuable input. I have checked for my customs charges here: https://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/whats-my-duty
and my estimation was only the GST of about NZD 120 as there were no duty for snow skis.
I've been looking at the feedback of the other kiwis shopping for skis in North America here:
https://www.levelninesports.com/level-nine-info-faqs/new-zealand-shipping
None of them mentioned entry or biosecurity levies.

Would you kindly give me some more details about the customs clearance costs incurred when importing snow skis, please?
Thank you

RuthB

Angel Diva
From the customs website:

*Entry fees:
Once the threshold of $60 of duty and/or GST payable is reached, then a Customs import entry transaction fee (IETF) of NZ$29.26 (GST inclusive) is payable. Please note that the $60 threshold does not apply to tobacco and alcohol products. Entry fees are collected on these two regardless of the amount. A Ministry for Primary Industries biosecurity system entry levy (MPI Levy) of $19.98 (GST inclusive) is also collected by Customs. The total fees equal NZ$49.24 (GST inclusive)

Edited to add, I have been charged this every time I have been charged GST - plus they will not release goods until it has been paid.

Kea

Diva in Training
Dear RuthB, many thanks for your kind reply! I have completely forgotten how it works: I've had a similar experience with figure skating boots valued GBP250. I will post my experience here for other fellow Kiwis so that they will not rely on https://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/whats-my-duty calculator as I did. Thank you very much!skate_boots_customs_levy_example.pngcustoms_example.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly