• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dry Winter Woes

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, THIS is concerning. According to Snowbrains, the US is experiencing one of the driest winters on record, with snow covering just 27% of the country. They say it's the driest it's been in 1,200 years.

Obviously, this is bad for skiing. But it also could mean a bad wildfire season ahead.

Go here for the whole piece.

(BTW, it's POURING here in Vermont right now. Which is also not good for skiing. :frown:)

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Mad River Glen is closed right now because their base area looks like a lake. Right now it’s snowing and we’ve gotten some accumulation (an inch or so) but we have a long way to go. Btw, it’s forecast to snow in Northern VT about 10” on 2/24-2/25… of course right in time to leave for Diva West!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Tahoe..... sad..... almost 40 days without snow other than a few inches here and there this week. In December, 17 feet of snow in one week. Hoping for the March miracle.

Here's what I'm curious about though.. You guys received SO MUCH snow, is it gone or just firm?? Like in New England we barely get snow, and when we do it's usually in quite small increments. Granted, we blow a lot more fake snow.. but I'm curious if it's dire like there is no cover out there, or if you are all just having a New England ski season where sometimes you can't really get off of the groomers for a lot of it because everything else is solid..?? :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Here's what I'm curious about though.. You guys received SO MUCH snow, is it gone or just firm?? Like in New England we barely get snow, and when we do it's usually in quite small increments. Granted, we blow a lot more fake snow.. but I'm curious if it's dire like there is no cover out there, or if you are all just having a New England ski season where sometimes you can't really get off of the groomers for a lot of it because everything else is solid..?? :smile:
Honestly, I haven't been to Tahoe since January 7 where another 3 feet or so snowed during that week.
But, I highly doubt the snow is gone. Others can chime in. You saw those posts @mustski shared of pics of Granite Chief @ Palisades and some of Mt Rose. It has been cold enough to make snow but I don't really know if they are still making snow. Maybe. I would wager a guess that off piste could be some low tide snow with rocks showing, but I don't really know. One thing I do know is that the snow is not gone. It hasn't rained here either. Just dry and nothing. I was lucky enough to spend 8 nights in Taos after they received 37 inches of snow. Stranger things have happened in Tahoe. A few inches isn't going to help much IMO.....
Also, I wouldn't worry about what skis to bring. Bring what you like on groomers. I'll be on my Sheeva 9's or maybe Black Crows.

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Here the snow isn't gone, but it's just not good conditions. When I look at webcams I can spot some thin spots.

Off piste is not good. Some days the reports say to stay on the groomers. I don't bother going in these conditions. Luckily we should have 1-2' this weekend. Today's reports:

Snoqualmie: Thanks to last night’s freezing temperatures…it has created pretty solid conditions for this morning. The groomed runs will start off fast and firm. With decreasing clouds and the potential for a few sun breaks in today’s forecast, we can expect the snow to soften as the day progresses. I would wait until the afternoon before leaving the main runs, conditions off-piste will be variable until things have warmed up.

Crystal: Happy Friday! Conditions today will be variable with another sun-filled day. Please remember to stay in control and keep your speed down. Be ready for oncoming skiers & riders, stay alert, and plan ahead. Best advice would be to stick to the machine-perfected ribbons until the sun goes to town on Southerly slopes by mid-morning.

Vail doesn't bother to do daily condition reports, apparently, so no such info on Stevens.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have been skiing every day and the coverage is good for the most part. Mt. Rose is still skiing well in the trees and the groomers are great. Some bump runs are “softish” while others are crusty due to melt freeze cycle. I will try to get up to Alpine and OV next week so I can report on conditions. Last time I was there(week before last) it was pretty much all groomer skiing. I did hear that the Sherwood area at Alpine was losing snow pack, but that area is pretty much sun all the time. I’ll let you know what it’s like next week.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have been skiing every day and the coverage is good for the most part. Mt. Rose is still skiing well in the trees and the groomers are great. Some bump runs are “softish” while others are crusty due to melt freeze cycle. I will try to get up to Alpine and OV next week so I can report on conditions. Last time I was there(week before last) it was pretty much all groomer skiing. I did hear that the Sherwood area at Alpine was losing snow pack, but that area is pretty much sun all the time. I’ll let you know what it’s like next week.
Are they making snow?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Well, THIS is concerning. According to Snowbrains, the US is experiencing one of the driest winters on record, with snow covering just 27% of the country. They say it's the driest it's been in 1,200 years.

Obviously, this is bad for skiing. But it also could mean a bad wildfire season ahead.

Go here for the whole piece.

(BTW, it's POURING here in Vermont right now. Which is also not good for skiing. :frown:)
It's going to be 50 at the places I ski in Wisconsin on Sunday. I was hoping to go up there next weekend but I'm not feeling great that even with snowmaking, the trails will be in shape worth driving just under 3 hours to get to...

shadoj

Angel Diva
It's going to be 50 at the places I ski in Wisconsin on Sunday. I was hoping to go up there next weekend but I'm not feeling great that even with snowmaking, the trails will be in shape worth driving just under 3 hours to get to...
Ugh, looks like 44F on Sunday here (Welch, MN)! Better get to the hill early, and prepare for potatoes. Fortunately, Lutsen will just touch on above-freezing temps, and they already have more snow to-date this season than in an average year. Crossing fingers for my trip in under two weeks! Quite an unstable weather system this winter. Pretty dry where I am, though our snowmakers have been keeping up. Hoping the rain stops in the Northeast!

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally have the winter blues with the lack of fresh snow. The backcountry has been funky which is what we usually do all weekend. I can only ski our little 600 vertical feet ski hill so much before I get bored since off groomers is super firm chunky snow. This is the first winter where we haven't been skiing all weekend every weekend. I am struggling to stay entertained and why we moved to this small mountain town for the backcountry skiing. Please snow!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly