• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Driving to Tahoe

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Diva's,
I am planning a trip with some of my family traveling from SFO to Heavenly the second week of March. I am planning on renting an all wheel drive vehicle, but many of the car rental companies do not allow chains. Does anyone have any idea how likely it is I will need them and how much I need to be worried about this? Thanks for your help.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
At least on highway 80, I've been waved through chain control when I'm in an AWD vehicle. If you're taking highway 50, though, I think you might want to at least carry chains or work something out with the rental company. Honestly though, the way the season is shaping up here, you might not need to worry about it...I hope it improves though!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If you're going to Heavenly, then you would most likely take Highway 50. You should be fine with AWD w mud & snow tires. If you need chains, then you probably wouldn't want to be on the road.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW, I'll be at Heavenly the week of Feb 29... and just got back.... they need new snow but still have a very good base.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks! Sounds like we'll just miss you. I would love to meet some more divas.
Also, from SFO , you won't get to Highway 50 until you are in the Sacramento area and there will be a turn off for South Lake Tahoe (which is Highway 50)....
unless you are going to North Lake Tahoe first. Where are you staying?

Alpenglow

Certified Ski Diva
I've rented SUVs from SFO before to drive up to Tahoe -- I would confirm that they can actually rent you an AWD drive car - since some of the rental agencies don't carry a huge number in their fleet. All the AWD cars I have rented have had M+S tires (all seasons), so you are technically allowed to be waived through chain control without chains. Agree though that in a bad storm, chains or not, you probably don't want to be driving! Currently, the roads are completely clear sadly. I just drove my AWD with summer tires up to Tahoe!

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are renting a condo near the Stagecoach lodge in Stateline. I went with that one because it's supposed to be close to the shuttle. I've never been to Tahoe so I really don't know what to expect. I'm crossing my fingers that it all works out. Thanks everybody for your input. I'm feeling better about getting rental SUV. Hoping for snow, just not enough to require chains.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We are renting a condo near the Stagecoach lodge in Stateline. I went with that one because it's supposed to be close to the shuttle. I've never been to Tahoe so I really don't know what to expect. I'm crossing my fingers that it all works out. Thanks everybody for your input. I'm feeling better about getting rental SUV. Hoping for snow, just not enough to require chains.
So you will be going up kingsbury grade which is steep .,Staying near stagecoach is convenient to skiing for sure but you'll need to drive to go into Stateline.. Are you at the Ridge by any chance? I'm not entirely sure about shuttle service on the Nevada side so assumed you have checked it out.... No snow on the horizon but weather in the sierras can change rapidly.... I'm thinking of possibly pushing my timeshare week back if I can . Waiting for the March miracle as can be very snowy month....

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if we are at the Ridge. I just know we are off of Tramway Dr. Here's hoping for a March miracle. :snow:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not sure if we are at the Ridge. I just know we are off of Tramway Dr. Here's hoping for a March miracle. :snow:
Yeah lots of timeshares, etc off of Tramway Drive. I just switched my time share week and will be going March 14....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing