• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dragon Transition Goggles

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've been a devoted Smith IO/S goggle wearer for the past few years. They fit well with my Smith helmet and have a cool google strap that goes with my helmet and jacket. And I've actually become pretty good at swapping the lenses in and out.

But when I got a new Giro helmet, I started thinking about getting new goggles. The IO/S just didn't fit as well anymore. One of the Divas on the forum (I think it was @snoWYmonkey ) mentioned that she really loved her Dragon X1S Transition goggles, so I was intrigued. These automatically darken in bright sunlight and lighten in cloudy or snowy conditions. According to the website, the darkness of the lens tint will vary between 76% and 16% Visible Light Transmission (VLT). A high percentage rate signifies a lighter lens tint, which allows more natural light into the lens in overcast, shaded or low-light conditions. A lower percent signifies a darker lens tint, and is typically best for glare control in sunny conditions.

I had the opportunity to try them out at the industry on-snow demo days at Stratton a few weeks ago, and liked them a lot -- so much so that I ended up buying a pair. And yes, I have to say that I agree with snoWYmonkey; These goggles work as advertised. The first day was sunny and bright, the next day less so, and they really performed. Plus the clarity of the lens is first rate, which I also really liked. And the fit is good, too. They work well with my Giro helmet, and they don't pinch around my (rather large) nose, which the IO/S always did. The silicone-backed strap is also heftier and more non-slip than the one on the IO/S. A downside: it's not as graphically pleasing. Oh, well.

Right now the X1S Transitions are available with a yellow lens, though I think next year they'll be offering them in a rose lens, too, if that's your preference. The rep told me the yellow one is better for flat light days, which we get plenty of here in New England. So I decided to get that rather than wait.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 7.29.19 AM.png

If you want to know more about the goggle technology, you can go here.

Last edited:

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Excited to learn that these goggles work for you as well. I too love Smith and all the cool straps. But functionality trumps everything. I think we can all agree that having a very dark lens when the clouds roll in is no fun at all. The other part that impresses me with this lens that I have yet to scratch it. Which strap did you opt for?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is the exact one that's shown in the picture above: dark grey. Which is fine.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna