• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
Sierra.com has incredible deals on DPS Foundation and Alchemist models (2019 models). The retailer couldn't tell me what the imperfections are (listed as "seconds") so I called up DPS and Bryce assured me they would never put a structurally imperfect ski out to any consumer and the seconds are simply colorization in the graphics. When I woke up this morning I was not planning to add to my quiver but simply could not pass up a pair of Foundation Uschi 87s for $200!
Would love to hear from anyone who's had experience with the ski - positive or negative. I may be back here talking about my expensive mistake in two weeks. ;-)

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
He did just veto my getting a second splitboard so I’d have one to use while the other was getting tuned (I’ve been heading out about 4-5 days a week). That’s actually not unreasonable; splitboards cost a lot more than $200...

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I solved that problem by telling him he could take his own skiing to the next level with the Alchemist Cassiars which were picked up for $300!!

Fortunately they didn’t have anything in my size. But I always like to watch Sierra’s ski selection ... they always have some excellent options each season!

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
There are still Foundation models for $200. The Alchemists didn't drop that low.
do you know if there is a difference between the Uschi Alchemist and the Cassiar Alchemist? I'm trying to determine if it is more than cosmetic. What I've read suggests that the Uschi is slightly more of a hard snow ski, but on paper they are very similar. The Cassiar a bit wider at tip/tail.

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
I can only speak to the Cassiar which a friend has and just loves...paid serious coin for them so I think we all have a tendency to justify those purchases...but I do think it is a solid ski. DPS markets nearly all their skis as all-mountain and yet, they all have a leaning for either soft or hard snow, take that into consideration. There are lots of reviews at various sites if you google. Across the board, the thinking with DPS skis is to size up.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I think the Foundation has a fiberglass wrap and the Alchemist has a carbon wrap. But I'm not 100% sure.
I went on the site yesterday and it was all I could do NOT to buy a set of DPS. I told myself that there will always be next year, but Damn, those are awesome deals.

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
I think the Foundation has a fiberglass wrap and the Alchemist has a carbon wrap. But I'm not 100% sure.
I went on the site yesterday and it was all I could do NOT to buy a set of DPS. I told myself that there will always be next year, but Damn, those are awesome deals.
You are correct about the material structure of the ski. Foundations are generally more forgiving and need to be driven a bit less.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@cvana — I had this same question last year and called DPS directly. As per the company rep only difference is top sheet color. Same construction, same recommended mount point. If you are seeing different numbers it’s likely different years — DH has older cassair 95 but my cassair are 94 (found a better deal on them than the uschi last year and very pleased)

ETA: The 82, 87, 94 designation of waist width in the name will definitely change the numbers. Cassair/uschi lean frontside but are still fun all mountain. Wailer/Nina/Zelda/Yvette lean off piste in design.

Last edited:

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Following up: my sad story!
I did order the DPS Alchemist Cassiars in 165 for $300. When they arrived, I found Sierra had delivered the wrong ski - they sent Foundations. I was sure the Alchemists must be gone by now, but one was remaining in stock. Sierra gave me an instant credit for the skis they sent in error and sent me a return label. I used the credit to re-order the skis I wanted. Success... not. The next day I awoke to an email informing that the skis were actually not in stock after all.

I guess they just weren't for me, after all.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Following up: my sad story!
I did order the DPS Alchemist Cassiars in 165 for $300. When they arrived, I found Sierra had delivered the wrong ski - they sent Foundations. I was sure the Alchemists must be gone by now, but one was remaining in stock. Sierra gave me an instant credit for the skis they sent in error and sent me a return label. I used the credit to re-order the skis I wanted. Success... not. The next day I awoke to an email informing that the skis were actually not in stock after all.

I guess they just weren't for me, after all.

Aww that really stinks! :cry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna