• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom base treatment, how to avoid waxing recreational skis - Notes 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
DPS got back to me really quickly! They're having issues with their website, but the instructions to apply the 1-part formula can be found at this link, for anyone interested in a peek.
Very interesting. The process is a little different than with the 2-part formula. Didn't have a final step involving water before. But only needing to cure for 1-hour sounds like an improvement to me. Sounds like the finished look is more like a freshly waxed base.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Very interesting. The process is a little different than with the 2-part formula. Didn't have a final step involving water before. But only needing to cure for 1-hour sounds like an improvement to me. Sounds like the finished look is more like a freshly waxed base.
Found out that the water finish isn't absolutely required. But it does give a better finish so why not?

Apparently DPS kept selling the 2-part kits until they were gone. Then switched to the 1-part formula for the DIY kits. Same formula as was being sold in bulk to ski shops last season.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for sharing this. I would like to have the treatment on my skis. Seems much more convenient that always having to drop-off/pick-up at the shop (I don’t wax at home).

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Maybe some ski divas can help? My skis have patches if white on them after application and the finish is uneven. Any ideas what went wrong?

Attachments

• 20200814_143816.jpg
    20200814_143816.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200814_143812.jpg
    20200814_143812.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 17

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I used their form. If I don't hear back again, I will try sending an email from my account.

I only applied to one pair. Thankfully.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Great news - I heard back from DPS last night and they asked for photos! He said my skis definitely weren't ruined, but I'm not sure yet what the solution will be. I don't know if it will mean a second application, or even if that's possible, or just going back to wax my skis, but I'll report back if they are able to figure out what happened.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I’m thinking they might ask you to get a base grind.

Reading the instructions for version 3, it actually looks more complicated to me than version 2. Also, IIRC, version 2 came with a nylon brush, whereas version 3 asks for your own. And the note about polishing the base when it gets “dry/white”? What is the polishing pad that came with the kit? Does that apply to prior versions? If that’s true, I’d want to mention that to my tech when I take my skis for pre-season tuning.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Started applying v3 this morning and I'm not sure if there's still enough in the two packets of the new version to do a third ski. Admittedly I'm pretty overcautious, but each packet seemed like just the right amount to apply a liberal coat to one ski. Applying to a pair of Ripstick 94s in 177cm length (new, so there's no crud to take off).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Started applying v3 this morning and I'm not sure if there's still enough in the two packets of the new version to do a third ski. Admittedly I'm pretty overcautious, but each packet seemed like just the right amount to apply a liberal coat to one ski. Applying to a pair of Ripstick 94s in 177cm length (new, so there's no crud to take off).
Ah, interesting difference when there is a 1-part formula compared to the 2-part 1-hour cure version. One packet is supposed to be enough for even a long and wide powder ski. Two packets are supposed to be enough to handle a snowboard, which also come in different sizes and shapes so a variation in surface area.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I’m thinking they might ask you to get a base grind.

Reading the instructions for version 3, it actually looks more complicated to me than version 2. Also, IIRC, version 2 came with a nylon brush, whereas version 3 asks for your own. And the note about polishing the base when it gets “dry/white”? What is the polishing pad that came with the kit? Does that apply to prior versions? If that’s true, I’d want to mention that to my tech when I take my skis for pre-season tuning.

Ugh. My local shop charges $50 for a base grind, so I hope they don't ask me to do that.

One of the reasons I wondered if I actually got version 1 is because I didn't get a brush; I got a white scrubbie-type (fibertex?) pad. Maybe that's the polishing pad they're talking about.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Okay! I finished up the v3 application. The skis actually ended up sitting in full sunlight for about four hours total, since my partner and I were watching a movie.

I don't know if I'd agree with the guide's description of the residue as "chalky white", but there definitely was residue. In the picture below, the ski on the left has been "brushed" and the ski on the right has not:

17E35FC5-7F21-4A22-A5AA-2F5346CA1300.jpeg

And the below image is after both skis have been "polished".

B418F8B9-D0B3-448E-A82C-D04F334F6143.jpeg

The instructions mentioned needing to pay careful attention to residue on colored or clear areas of the base and that definitely seemed to be the case. I could see areas needing attention pretty clearly on the black areas of the base but had to bend down to see how the light reflected off the surface for the colored areas.

The tips and tails were a bit more difficult to "brush down" than the other areas, although someone with a more secure workbench and a rotary brush might have an easier time. The edges were also a little bit of a pain—it felt like the bristles weren't really reaching properly. Again, a rotary brush would likely be handy here.

Overall, the process was pretty straightforward, and I was glad to be able to take advantage of a rare unambiguously sunny San Francisco day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Okay! I finished up the v3 application. The skis actually ended up sitting in full sunlight for about four hours total, since my partner and I were watching a movie.

I don't know if I'd agree with the guide's description of the residue as "chalky white", but there definitely was residue. In the picture below, the ski on the left has been "brushed" and the ski on the right has not:

View attachment 13421

And the below image is after both skis have been "polished".

View attachment 13422

The instructions mentioned needing to pay careful attention to residue on colored or clear areas of the base and that definitely seemed to be the case. I could see areas needing attention pretty clearly on the black areas of the base but had to bend down to see how the light reflected off the surface for the colored areas.

The tips and tails were a bit more difficult to "brush down" than the other areas, although someone with a more secure workbench and a rotary brush might have an easier time. The edges were also a little bit of a pain—it felt like the bristles weren't really reaching properly. Again, a rotary brush would likely be handy here.

Overall, the process was pretty straightforward, and I was glad to be able to take advantage of a rare unambiguously sunny San Francisco day.
Usually you have to wait until September to get a 90 degree day in the city. And it will only last 2-3 days at the most. And only once a year !

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That heat wave last fall killed me!
Yesterday was 105 in SC and today was 100........ not used to this kind of heat. Plus the entire Bay Area plus all the valley areas seemed to want to come here...... I'm a block from the beach and stayed away !!!!!

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Yesterday was 105 in SC and today was 100........ not used to this kind of heat. Plus the entire Bay Area plus all the valley areas seemed to want to come here...... I'm a block from the beach and stayed away !!!!!

Yikes, that's scary... we've basically been alternating between all windows shut during the day to all windows open evening and overnight. Supposedly a high of 76 tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If anyone is interested in getting Phantom for the upcoming season, the annual DPS Dreamtime sale was extended to August 20. Phantom is 15% off.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
The guys at DPS are recommending I try using a rotobrush to get my chalky residue off. Can anyone recommend a rotobrush? I have no idea what I'm looking at. I would definitely take the trip to Kingston if I had all this to do over again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly