• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom base treatment 15% off during 2021 Dreamtime sale, until Aug. 11

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like DPS Phantom is part of the annual Dreamtime sale for 2021. Can get 15% off the DIY kit.

For more about Phantom:

I was an early adopter. Have treated all my skis at this point. My Head Absolut Joys have at least 75 days of use so far over four seasons. Mostly skiing at small hills in the southeast, mid-Atlantic, and also some days in the northeast. Really nice not having to deal with waxing every 2-3 days when skiing manmade snow.

newboots

Angel Diva
Who else has some long-term experience with Phantom, or even a full season? I was looking at the description for it that said it makes the base harder, and lasts even through a base grind. I continue to be intrigued!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Who else has some long-term experience with Phantom, or even a full season? I was looking at the description for it that said it makes the base harder, and lasts even through a base grind. I continue to be intrigued!

I've been through 2 seasons with Phantom on my Sheeva 9s, and had skied them one season before that without Phantom. I've skied them many days in that time and love Phantom. I don't really notice a difference in glide when I wax or haven't waxed for a long time now and they are much less sticky in spring snow. It doesn't totally stop the stick in the spring, but it's better and consistent all day versus losing your spring wax after a couple of runs in the morning. I still wax them very occasionally like pre-season as a habit and to make the bases shine I guess lol. When I bring them to SkiMD for a tune he says he still feels people should wax with Phantom, but I admittedly don't really as I haven't seen a reason to and I'm too lazy to bring my skis home from Maine during the season unless I really need to.

The rest of my skis don't have Phantom right now, but only because I use the Sheevas far more than anything else so it hasn't seemed altogether worth it. I have been thinking about doing my Stockli Stormriders though since they were my runner up for skis used last season. They are so darn fun and a very different feel from the Sheevas. Nice to mix it up sometimes.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have several seasons on skis treated with Phantom. I like it and don't bother with waxing. Like @MissySki I skied the first pair for a season without phantom (and had my next pair immediatiately Phantomed when I bought them) and as she said:
I don't really notice a difference in glide when I wax or haven't waxed for a long time now and they are much less sticky in spring snow. It doesn't totally stop the stick in the spring, but it's better and consistent all day versus losing your spring wax after a couple of runs in the morning.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I have two seasons with phantom and agree with everything said. For me, besides the convenience of not having to wax, I appreciate the predictability the consistent glide gives to the skis-snow interaction. I am easily thrown off my skills and no longer having to deal with too-fast freshly waxed skis or suddenly grabbed by sticky snow is priceless.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks, everybody! This is sure a ringing endorsement! I think I'll be able to get Phantom at a discount at the ski shop where I'm working, so that's why I'm thinking of it now.

newboots

Angel Diva
Do they have a cure station?

Almost all of their tuning etc. goes to the main store 45 minutes north of "my" store. I imagine they have the necessary equipment there, but I don't actually know. Is it common to apply Phantom if the shop doesn't have a cure station?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Almost all of their tuning etc. goes to the main store 45 minutes north of "my" store. I imagine they have the necessary equipment there, but I don't actually know. Is it common to apply Phantom if the shop doesn't have a cure station?
For a shop to treat skis/boards they have to have a DPS Phantom Cure Station. It provides exactly the right amount of UV for the correct amount of time. This is not wax. It's a base treatment that changes the nature of base material permanently to provide pretty good glide for almost all snow conditions.

As mentioned in the Phantom thread, DIY is not hard for someone who has a yard that gets sun. I've done all my skis at home with a 2-part version. The current version only requires spreading one packet so even easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly