• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DPS Phantom 15% off the DIY kit until Aug. 10, 2022

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thanks @ilovepugs and @marzNC for the heads up on the promo. I finally bought it.
I’ve been hesitant at the thought of applying it myself and kept thinking I’d drive up to Telluride at some point to get them done, but there’s just too much going on right now.
The application seems simple enough- let’s see how it goes!
Ditto -- and thanks for reminding me, RJ. I almost forgot, but just bought it.

Reactions: RJ*

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Care to share your experience treating skis with Phantom for the first time? You were pretty nervous. Everything turned out fine though.
Absolutely! "Pretty nervous" is an understatement, haha. I contacted them throughout the whole process and they were great. There was some residue left, and I was so afraid I had ruined my skis. But everything was fine, and I love Phantom so much, I bought the treatment for my sons. I will also buy it for my daughter when she gets back to skiing.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Nope, do not need to have a stone grind before treating with Phantom. I only did that for one pair of skis and I've treated four pairs at home.

Idea is to start with bases that are as clean as possible. Base cleaner can be used but not necessary. Good brushing is enough.

No experience waxing required. Should still be a video about the process. If you can't find one, I can look around.
What did you use to brush the skis before application? I'm assuming that the two scrubbie pads that come in the kit are for the brushing after curing them - are they also good to use for the pre-ap brushing?

marzNC

Angel Diva
What did you use to brush the skis before application? I'm assuming that the two scrubbie pads that come in the kit are for the brushing after curing them - are they also good to use for the pre-ap brushing?
I have a brush that I bought for waxing skis. So that's what I used. Whatever brush is going to get crudded up. I wouldn't use what comes in the kit for the prep.

Pretty sure that wiping down the bases with a rag can be good enough if your bases are in pretty good shape. Pretty much what I did for my daughter's skis that she'd only used a few times before I treated then with Phantom. I know it's not necessary to use a chemical base cleaner.

Here are a couple tips from the DPS rep for Australia:

"Firstly, a base grind prior is a good idea but not essential. If your bases are in good condition and clean of all wax then that's fine. The reason we suggest a base grind is because it's the best way to remove all of the dirt and wax residue.

When you apply Phantom it penetrates the entire base. That is why we allow the soak period before removing the excess Phantom during the process.

Once the Phantom process is complete, it is permanent. ie it's permanently changed the structure of your base. You can base grind your skis no problem and all that will happen is a new layer of base will be uncovered (so to speak) and the Phantom will work as it should. Some say it works even better."

"Actually there is a step which some might not do thoroughly and can have an effect on the drying.

After the 15 minute soak time, wipe all of the excess off the bases. The Phantom will have penetrated the base by this time, so you are just wiping off the excess. Get as much off as you can, then in the sun or in the Cure Box.

Leaving too much on the ski thinking you'll get better penetration isn't the way to go, as it means the excess is inhibiting the curing process. Get it off and let the light do it's stuff."

Reactions: RJ*

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I have a brush that I bought for waxing skis. So that's what I used. Whatever brush is going to get crudded up. I wouldn't use what comes in the kit for the prep.

Pretty sure that wiping down the bases with a rag can be good enough if your bases are in pretty good shape. Pretty much what I did for my daughter's skis that she'd only used a few times before I treated then with Phantom. I know it's not necessary to use a chemical base cleaner.

Here are a couple tips from the DPS rep for Australia:

"Firstly, a base grind prior is a good idea but not essential. If your bases are in good condition and clean of all wax then that's fine. The reason we suggest a base grind is because it's the best way to remove all of the dirt and wax residue.

When you apply Phantom it penetrates the entire base. That is why we allow the soak period before removing the excess Phantom during the process.

Once the Phantom process is complete, it is permanent. ie it's permanently changed the structure of your base. You can base grind your skis no problem and all that will happen is a new layer of base will be uncovered (so to speak) and the Phantom will work as it should. Some say it works even better."

"Actually there is a step which some might not do thoroughly and can have an effect on the drying.

After the 15 minute soak time, wipe all of the excess off the bases. The Phantom will have penetrated the base by this time, so you are just wiping off the excess. Get as much off as you can, then in the sun or in the Cure Box.

Leaving too much on the ski thinking you'll get better penetration isn't the way to go, as it means the excess is inhibiting the curing process. Get it off and let the light do it's stuff."
So can I use a regular, Harbor Fright-type hand-held wire brush that I would have in my tool box?

marzNC

Angel Diva
So can I use a regular, Harbor Fright-type hand-held wire brush that I would have in my tool box?
No, I wouldn't use that type of wire brush. You're only trying to clean off any remaining wax and dirt. A house cleaning brush for floors or tile walls is what I might consider using.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
So, a stiff nylon brush?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly