• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Downloading

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So apparently, even though it was only my second download of the season, I've developed a reputation. Today the liftie at the bottom called out my name and directed me to use a different exit than usual. I didn't even recognize her. And it was foggy. I'm hoping it was someone in the lift shack sent her out that has known me forever.... I'm vowing to find an alternative route tomorrow.... I've always called it the Chair of Shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

newboots

Angel Diva
So apparently, even though it was only my second download of the season, I've developed a reputation.
I doubt it. I expect your alternate theory is the right one. When we feel vulnerable we become convinced that everyone can see us shaking in our boots.

I'm vowing to find an alternative route tomorrow.... I've always called it the Chair of Shame.

Stop calling it that. Compassion for yourself and all of us who have an attack of nerves staring down a mountain! I’ll bet you’d be compassionate toward me, if I were scared. Treat yourself like you would treat one of us. You deserve nothing less!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad Whitefish allows downloading. In New England where I ski, as far as I know, no mountain allows it. Courtesy ride with ski patrol instead? That's all we've got here. Not a good alternative.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm glad Whitefish allows downloading. In New England where I ski, as far as I know, no mountain allows it. Courtesy ride with ski patrol instead? That's all we've got here. Not a good alternative.

I was thinking the same thing. Though the chondola at Sunday River should allow because they let people go up without skis for getting to the summit lodge. I remember being confused seeing a family walking around up there with regular shoes on the first time. So if anywhere allows that, they also have to get them down.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Though the chondola at Sunday River should allow
Yep, they do. I saw a few people downloading. I was wondering if you would need a full day ticket if you go up as a non-skier, or if you could just ride up for free to hang out in the North Peak lodge (in other words, could I park my non-skiing DH there while I ski.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Though the chondola at Sunday River should allow
Most certainly do allow downloading. There is a spot to wait to download. It's an advantage during the winter of spending the extra money on a chondola vs just a detachable chairlift.

I had too much ice in my bindings on Sunday morning. Couldn't get in at all. Downloaded to get some advice from the rental shop. Needed five minutes indoors. :redface:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yep, they do. I saw a few people downloading. I was wondering if you would need a full day ticket if you go up as a non-skier, or if you could just ride up for free to hang out in the North Peak lodge (in other words, could I park my non-skiing DH there while I ski.)

In the summer they do scenic lift rides, $15. They don't also list that under winter options, but I'd assume it to be something like that? Can't imagine anyone would pay the $105 for a day pass to just go up. And holy cow when did SR top $100 for a day?????

My fiance is also a non-skier, so that would be good to know! Though plenty of options at the base as well, I think the North Peak lodge can be nice and cozy to hang around in if you get a good spot, plus there's a bar. Does DH often hang out at the mountain while you ski?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In the summer they do scenic lift rides, $15. They don't also list that under winter options, but I'd assume it to be something like that? Can't imagine anyone would pay the $105 for a day pass to just go up. And holy cow when did SR top $100 for a day?????
I know there is a reasonable price to ride the Whiteface gondola during the winter without skis. Also can ride the Snowbird tram just for the view or to eat at the summit lodge with a great view.

Riding down is actually quite fun in a tram or gondola so can really take in the view from any side. Have done that at Snowbird and Mammoth during late season just to take pictures.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not too often, but he does like to come along sometimes and sit with his laptop and a beer where he can see the slopes. It's nice having him come along in many ways, but I also know that when he does I have to set aside more time for breaks and a longer lunch than I would normally do.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know there is a reasonable price to ride the Whiteface gondola during the winter without skis. Also can ride the Snowbird tram just for the view or to eat at the summit lodge with a great view.

Riding down is actually quite fun in a tram or gondola so can really take in the view from any side. Have done that at Snowbird and Mammoth during late season just to take pictures.

I've downloaded in the dark because Sunday River does these Saturday night dinners throughout the season up there. It was a good time! I can't remember if it was lit up below for nightskiing on the way down, I think some of it was dark making the ride down creepy though haha.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Early season downloading is necessary because they open and only the back has snow. Nevertheless, after they open a front side run, downloading is not advertised as available. You take heat occasionally as you pass upward bound chairs. Inevitably the bro-types. I've never gotten down unscathed. Notice I still do it every year until I know I have the stamina to get down the much longer front runs. (Sick today)

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of my Epic visitors was THRILLED last year to learn this, as it was socked in bad. We ended up doing it multiple times.

Yesterday. Not really socked in, about 2-3 chair visibility. "Socked in" would be worse. Be forewarned, @liquidfeet .FB_IMG_1545162284803.jpg

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've read the threads over the years and viewed your images many times. So I know.

I want to see those snow ghosts at the top on a sunny day. One beautiful day will do.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, OK, one can download the Tram at Cannon. But then, it's a tram... and they are selling tickets to drylanders so they can go up the hill, walk outside in street shoes, and stare at the skiers. And eat in the cafe.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Downloading is riding the chair lift down? How do you know if a mountain offers this? I once ended up off a chair lift that was over my skill level even though it was a blue (well hello newbie, not all blues are the same) I ended up going down like a snail one large turn at a time and my legs were shaking the entire time but I guess it’s good to know if I end up somewhere I feel uncomfortable due to visibility or terrain.

Jilly

Staff member
I would just ask the liftee at the top if you can go back down. I'm sure they are used to it in some areas. People will always get in over their heads.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Having been socked in once on an ungroomed trail well beyond my ability and needing ski patrol retrieval … I suspect they would far rather have a downloader than a me-er. ;)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I want to see those snow ghosts at the top on a sunny day. One beautiful day will do.
Saddleback, April, 2007 (ETA: pics are blurry : ( Not sure why. Will try another method.)

Attachments

• 041107Saddleback 019.jpg
    041107Saddleback 019.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 041107Saddleback 013.jpg
    041107Saddleback 013.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 041107RiverfromSaddleback.JPG
    041107RiverfromSaddleback.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Members online