• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Downhill (movie)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Did anyone else watch this? With Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus?

I came away with two thoughts:
I want to go ski in Austria
Yikes, that's dark

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I watched it on HBOMax. It was released last year and I remember seeing publicity for it. It is a weird one, because it’s NOT haha funny (with those two headliners you would expect it to be) ... It’s darkly funny and inspired by an old French (?) movie Force Majeure. But lots of ski scenes, so this crowd might enjoy. :smile:

BUT WARNING: I FOUND IT DARK
(did I mention that? I just point it out because i have a fairly morbid sense of humor...but I know that’s not for everyone)

Reactions: RJ*

bambam

Angel Diva
Thanks - dark humor is fine with us - I’ll add it to my list of things to look fi4 - trying to be more economical with my streaming services & only keep them active when I have a bunch of stuff I want to watch

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I plan to watch the original on Hulu... so if you have that... :smile:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Trailer: original:
Trailer: Ferrell/Dreyfus:

Sparky

Angel Diva
Watched it a few weeks ago. Yes not funny as expected but we try to watch anything that has skiing in it. Not a big South Park fan but I even like the Aspen timeshare episode! My favorite ski movie is Sun Valley Serenade - the times I’ve stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge I’d watch it over and over since they have one channel that shows it continuously!

Christy

Angel Diva
My favorite ski movie is Sun Valley Serenade - the times I’ve stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge I’d watch it over and over since they have one channel that shows it continuously!

I think because of the fact they have it on the tv when you arrive and after they do turndown in the lodge I have seen Sun Valley Serenade more than any other movie (maybe not more than Caddyshack, hard to say). It's an extremely silly movie but I love the SV footage and also the Nicolas Brother/Chatanooga Choo Choo dance scene which was done in the lodge. I rented this on Christmas to make up for the fact there is no SV trip for us this winter.

Christy

Angel Diva
I really liked Force Majeure though it seems that the final scene, with the mom disembarking from the bus, was meant to imply that she also abandoned her family. If that's the case, I don't buy it.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really liked Force Majeure though it seems that the final scene, with the mom disembarking from the bus, was meant to imply that she also abandoned her family. If that's the case, I don't buy it.

Agree, I really liked the movie up until that ending, which was just clumsy and cringy. I wonder if it was in the original script or if some producer imposed a change on the ending.

altagirl

Staff member
We watched the first half or so of Downhill - DH was like "A NEW SKIING MOVIE - WE MUST WATCH". I like dark humor but this was just one of those where I didn't like any of the characters and it was painful to watch. We gave up and watched something else. From everything I've heard the original is worth watching though.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@SallyCat ... ending on downhill was definitely different.
@altagirl ... that middle was really rough. I think I was skimming this site and coveting stalking the Renoun earharts while I was watching.

:rotf:

newboots

Angel Diva
I think I was skimming this site and coveting stalking the Renoun earharts while I was watching.

That might be the only way to do it. I have watched the trailer a dozen times, but the thought of watching that marriage for over an hour just seemed unbearable, despite the incredible mountain scenes.

altagirl

Staff member
That might be the only way to do it. I have watched the trailer a dozen times, but the thought of watching that marriage for over an hour just seemed unbearable, despite the incredible mountain scenes.
I mean I didn't even Google how it ends when we turned it off....

The whining and complaining about everything was just too annoying.

newboots

Angel Diva
I mean I didn't even Google how it ends when we turned it off....

The whining and complaining about everything was just too annoying.

Hah! Yeah, it's not just me! A couple who is in love and struggles with hurts, slights, disagreements, or inlaws can be good to watch. A couple that's jabbing at each other and it seems to be going nowhere is unpleasant. They aren't people I want to be near. Of course, not having watched it, I could be way off! But something turned me off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly