• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dominate leg fatigue / boot issue?

Heatherlea

Diva in Training
Hello Divas!

I hit the slopes with a new pair of ski boots (Salomon S/Pro 80) in November 2020 and right out of the box they were great and even a little snug. However, after 3 months of skiing an average of 1-2 times per week for about 3-4 hrs on groomers my right boot (left is not a problem) is feeling sloppy.

The worst part is the fatigue/burning on the top of my foot at the point of flex. I know the buckle is too tight at that point but the alternative is a boot that is too loose and of course either way my heel still lifts. I have tried every configuration of buckles and sock thickness and/or thinness. I even went to a local ski shop and they added an insert under the shell which helped the first couple of trips but the pain and fatigue became progressively worse until today (about two weeks later) when on my first run, my right foot was burning while going up the ski lift and my leg was burnt out within an hour.

I am starting to wonder if my right boot is just too soft or too big now... but so quickly????

The left boot feels good but I could see a slightly stiffer boot working too.

Unfortunately, SoCal is just not a big ski area and the few shops that are here will sell you the equipment but you are on your own when it comes to the fine tuning.

Any advice from the Diva community on this topic is greatly appreciated!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have no knowledge but I am sorry,that suuuuuuucks.
Just sending sympathy.

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with you about custom insole and have a qualified boot fitter look at them. If you bought the boot from a shop with a fitter then get back there. If you bought the boots from a seller, then find a good fitter.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did they heat the boot and liner when you bought them, then have you stand and flex in them while they cooled? If not, they should have.

If you don’t have at least a Superfeet footbed, you really should. As for taking up volume, I have learned through way too much experience that padding the tops and sides of the foot works better then lifting the foot up. Lifting the foot up takes the heel out of the heel pocket and can cause pressure issues over the instep, which it sounds like you’re experiencing. I layer duct tape on the outside of the liner in areas where I’m feeling some sloppiness. You can also get quite thin boot fitting foam with adhesive on one side and cut to shape.

Heatherlea

Diva in Training
Did they heat the boot and liner when you bought them, then have you stand and flex in them while they cooled? If not, they should have.

If you don’t have at least a Superfeet footbed, you really should. As for taking up volume, I have learned through way too much experience that padding the tops and sides of the foot works better then lifting the foot up. Lifting the foot up takes the heel out of the heel pocket and can cause pressure issues over the instep, which it sounds like you’re experiencing. I layer duct tape on the outside of the liner in areas where I’m feeling some sloppiness. You can also get quite thin boot fitting foam with adhesive on one side and cut to shape.

This is really good information. I had the liners heated to give me some room in the toe box (bunions) but I didn’t have them heat molded.
I am going to look into the super footbed as well. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is really good information. I had the liners heated to give me some room in the toe box (bunions) but I didn’t have them heat molded.
I am going to look into the super footbed as well. Thank you!
Most Salomon boots have a heat-moldable shell, which not only allows for bunions, width, and other foot issues, but also allows the cuffs to match the angle of your lower leg and calf better. So, depending on if you trust where you bought them (it bothers me that they didn't heat mold them for you) take them back and ask to have them heat molded.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....However, after 3 months of skiing an average of 1-2 times per week for about 3-4 hrs on groomers my right boot (left is not a problem) is feeling sloppy.
The worst part is the fatigue/burning on the top of my foot at the point of flex. I know the buckle is too tight at that point but the alternative is a boot that is too loose and of course either way my heel still lifts.

Your boots are too big. The shell itself needs to be smaller. This could mean shorter, but also narrower and/or with less volume (height over the forefoot and space in front of the ankle where it bends).

Boot size needs to match the smaller foot. Then the bootfitter, without extra charge, will enlarge the plastic of the boot that's tight on the larger foot.

Unfortunately people don't know this. They need a good bootfitter to tell them this fact, and they need to then that bootfitter to find boots that fit the smaller foot in length, width, and volume.

It's not odd that your liners have packed out in 3 months of use as you describe. It happens. So when you first get into boots that actually are going to fit you for a good while, the liners will feel like they are crushing your foot. They will pack out. As long as they don't cut off circulation, it's fine.

The first pair of boots I ever bought did what yours are doing to my foot. It took years of new boots to finally get down three sizes and into the kind of boots that were shaped properly for my feet.

Best of luck dealing with this painful problem. There's not only pain involved, but your skis are not doing what your feet tell them to do. This means you don't have optimal control of the skis. You already know that there's "slop" in the right boot. That's like having a loose steering wheel on the right. The left boot may be looser than you think, too. If you are having trouble with your turns, the boots may be a big part of that problem.

Jilly

Staff member
Are the letters CS on your boots. That's the symbol for heatable shells. Reading liquidfeet's post makes me think that this could be the issue. That's why a boot fitter, not a boot seller is important.

Heatherlea

Diva in Training
Your boots are too big. The shell itself needs to be smaller. This could mean shorter, but also narrower and/or with less volume (height over the forefoot and space in front of the ankle where it bends).

Boot size needs to match the smaller foot. Then the bootfitter, without extra charge, will enlarge the plastic of the boot that's tight on the larger foot.

Unfortunately people don't know this. They need a good bootfitter to tell them this fact, and they need to then that bootfitter to find boots that fit the smaller foot in length, width, and volume.

It's not odd that your liners have packed out in 3 months of use as you describe. It happens. So when you first get into boots that actually are going to fit you for a good while, the liners will feel like they are crushing your foot. They will pack out. As long as they don't cut off circulation, it's fine.

The first pair of boots I ever bought did what yours are doing to my foot. It took years of new boots to finally get down three sizes and into the kind of boots that were shaped properly for my feet.

Best of luck dealing with this painful problem. There's not only pain involved, but your skis are not doing what your feet tell them to do. This means you don't have optimal control of the skis. You already know that there's "slop" in the right boot. That's like having a loose steering wheel on the right. The left boot may be looser than you think, too. If you are having trouble with your turns, the boots may be a big part of that problem.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! I went back to the shop and they tried to resuscitate my Salomon boots with lifts, heat molding, tape.. you name it. Finally, a young guy that worked there said “your boots are too big”. Word to the wise here... I measure a solid 26.5 but the boot that actually fit me was 25.5 in a Nordica. The young guy took his time and made sure my boots were heat molded and my heel lifts were sized appropriately for both feet (they are different). I took them out for a spin today with freshly tuned skis and had a really nice day. I even went on some terrain that I had been avoiding :-) it made such a difference.

My dominate leg fatigue has improved but that along with ankle fatigue is still present. I have always had issues with my right knee( Patellofemoral pain syndrome) so I think a trip to the orthopedist is in order.
Thank you!!! :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly