• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does the way women dress mean we're taken less seriously as skiers?

newboots

Angel Diva
In this crowd it's hard to get everybody to stick to another topic (even one so hot-button as female skiers not being taken seriously) when you mention ski clothes! (cf. "I'm such a jacket slut" and "I'm such a pants slut" threads.)

I'm not a skier that most people should take too seriously, although I started last year to ski some serious trails (yay!). But I do dread getting advice from the mansplainers, being cut off by the frat boys, and overhearing comments about this or that babe on the lift or in the bar.

I wouldn't doubt that some male skiers look down on women dressed colorfully. Just keep smokin' them like @nopoleskier does, by passing them at warp speed, ideally without poles!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's amazing how many very good ski pants there are for sale, and how cheap they are even without the "make an offer" option. Bogner excepted, of course.

I looked again today just for fun. That's dangerous, $$:smile:.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're at counter-counter-counter-offer standing at $23. $8 shipping. No returns. I have a pink jacket--what say you? I am a serious skier, so if this is too ugly, I don't want it.

1600363337829.png

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's really cute, but pink has a lot of variability to it, and really, at $23., what have you got to lose? That said, is it the same pink as your jacket?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Similar, my jacket is a hot pinkish coral. Hot salmon? Not the easiest color to describe or match. I usually wear it with basic black or with light blue/gray ski pants, which is a nice color-block type of contrast. Now that I think of it, both are circa 2014.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I am not a very fashion conscious person and my off-duty garb is pretty staid and functional. With the exception of a wild pair of Odd Molly paisely pants. But I do love my pink ski pants that I wear for work, so that my kids can find me all over the mountain and especially in trees. My uniform jacket is black and we aren't supplied with pants. I remember being told in my first season coaching that the VP of Mtn Ops suggested to the program director that I needed more serious pants. So, there it was -- out in the open -- the opinion of a man that serious coaches in a race program don't wear pink. The program director shot him down -- "when we buy her pants, we can tell her what to wear!" Loved that guy. I kind of feel as if my pink pants are like Bella Abzug's hats -- part of my identity.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My DH has bright yellow and bright red pants, and a very green coat. Also a kind of fluorescent yellow coat, now that I think of it. And he keeps eyeing other colors, as well. He embodies the skittles look.

And good for your program director! I hope he also pointed out that the pink pants in no way, shape or form affected your skiing ability or hindered your coaching skills whatsoever.

Christy

Angel Diva
I thought about this thread when I saw that my local hiking organization posted a story about a woman who resisted getting outdoors because of what it did to her African-American hair. The story didn't get a great response from all commenters, including women. We aren't supposed to think about our appearance at all with outdoor activities. We are supposed to get grubby and not care what we look like. That's what real outdoors people do. I am guilty of this too. If I see someone in pink yoga pants and nicely styled hair on a hiking trail, I'd probably made the judgement that that person isn't a "serious" hiker, and might be unprepared in general, and would be more likely than me to end up needing rescue. Hmm.

I think with skiing there might be less judgement about trying to look good because it's normal to end up in a lodge socializing after skiing. But, I do think people are right that some will make judgements about women who appear stylish or feminine.

Then of course there is the whole issue of dressing for work, and how women need to dress to be taken seriously there...

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
If it fits and has pockets and is otherwise functional, I'm good. Haha, my outfit last year was black from the helmet down. My primary goal is to be a contrasting color from the snow.

I'm annoyed when ski shops treat me like I've never seen a hill before, but there is a widely accepted bias that women are less athletically inclined. At the average rental shop its probably a safe assumption 6 times out of 10. It isn't meant to be disrespectful.
This. As evident on Switchback travel's web page. I love to read their review on various products. But everything is geared towards males, with the female options added as an afterthought. I wish they would do more guides and reviews on women-specific products.

That said, last year when I was purchasing new boots at Backcountry, I did appreciate that the sales rep mentioned being very selective based off of gender, because he believes men have higher calves than women, and that this plays a big role in boot comfort.

Jilly

Staff member
That said, last year when I was purchasing new boots at Backcountry, I did appreciate that the sales rep mentioned being very selective based off of gender, because he believes men have higher calves than women, and that this plays a big role in boot comfort.

This is true. Women have lower calf muscles so we need shorter boots usually. Someone who is tall in the legs could be different.

For years I wore a uniform as I was instructing at different places. When I purchased an ski suit to wear when I wasn't teaching I usually went women's and at least come colour. The one in my Avatar has been retired as it was not holding up. I did purchase the same coat and pants in different colours. But Salomon is made in Europe and I am not some petite french girl. So even L is tight. And it's not warm enough for my tastes for Eastern Canada. That picture is from the first part of March at WB and I wasn't all that hot either.

I was so happy to find a better Avalanche jacket last fall. The colour is Rhubarb and goes really well with my grey pants. This product is designed in Canada (Quebec City) manufactured in China (like so much is), but is stylish and warm!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly