• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does the way women dress mean we're taken less seriously as skiers?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a lot of thoughts on this, but mostly they boil down to the fact that Europe and North American ski culture have quite different influences historically and currently, which results in different types of 'ski fashion' trends. What you're seeing in North American 'ski fashion' isn't 'masculine styles' but rather a focus on freeride and backcountry skiing that has influenced the way people want to dress while skiing.
All those Warren Miller movies. :smile:

What this comment brings to mind is the difference in fashion for men in Europe, especially France, as compared to men in the U.S. Never skied in Europe so have no first impressions. But how men dress at the beach or the tourist towns/cities around the Mediterranean is quite different than the average man taking his family for a beach vacation.

I'm into pockets, not fashion. Size and pockets tends to be much more important than color, much to the dismay of my daughter when she was a tween. Although I didn't let her choose skis or boots based on color, I did let her choose ski jackets and pants since her fashion sense is naturally better than mine. However, she keeps hoping that I would find a replacement for my old Marmot jacket (basic blue) that isn't made any more. Far more interior pockets than usual.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm a fan of both fashion and function. I have several Patagonia (more function than fashion) technical jackets in nice colors though. Also have a few items from Kjus (I know, too Deer Valley ish) but extremely waterproof and breathable and the fit is incredible ! Plaid cargo pants from Bogner (cute but not great waterproofing )- Lots of pockets though.
My newest skiwear is from Strafe and have both technical shell and pants that are very waterproof and breathable. Another brand that has nice colors and good pockets.
What about Arc Teryx? Other than the price, very technical and jackets come in nice colors. Think @Sparky has a bright pink one with orange trim that I am coveting...
And, yes, the European skiers (both men and women) are quite chic especially the Italians ! It's a different culture for sure. I felt quite frumpy in my Patagonia stuff.

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
I love having a lot of color in my ski clothing! I don't think it's particularly flashy, just fun.. I specifically try to color coordinate where I never wear plain black ski pants for example lol. Definitely has to be functional though. I'm someone who actually hates to draw attention to myself, but I like color and dress for what I like. I don't give any thought to what anyone else might think of my outfit choices. I think one of the best parts of skiing, when you're solo anyway, is being quite anonymous so who cares what some stranger thinks of my outfit? I also like that people who do know me can usually easily pick me out at the mountain once they know my outfits, and vice versa.

I make my children wear very bright jackets for this exact reason. Much easier to find them.

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
When we were at Jackson Hole for Diva West, I noticed that I was the only one (it seemed to me) wearing colorful, patterned ski pants. I know Jackson Hole is considered a serious ski mountain, so I was wondering if the reason was 1) that patterned pants were maybe more of an East Coast thing, or 2) that they were considered too fashion-forward/feminine and not for 'serious' skiers. I'm not the best skier out there, but I'm far from the worst. I don't care -- I love my patterned pants!

I love seeing fun patterns, especially on pants. My girlfriends and I see together quite frequently, and wear shamelessly bright lipgloss to match our shamelessly bright jackets. We get a lot of stink-eye from the very serious and committed guests...but we don’t care. We aren’t the best in the mountain and we aren’t the worst. We are just there to have a good time and make memories. My home resort of Snowbasin is somewhat demure, but still sees its share of color.

Surprisingly, we have found Sun Valley to be the most tolerant of all things feminine or flashy on the mountainside. I appreciate that they have a lot of regulars/locals who are retired, but have a lot of fun with their outfits on the mountain. Lots of ageless beauties is flashy ski suits, some even with rhinestones. There were a lot of groups of older ladies who just didn’t give one ounce and we’re having fun. I hope to be just like them in 20 years.

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a fan of both fashion and function. I have several Patagonia (more function than fashion) technical jackets in nice colors though. Also have a few items from Kjus (I know, too Deer Valley ish) but extremely waterproof and breathable and the fit is incredible ! Plaid cargo pants from Bogner (cute but not great waterproofing )- Lots of pockets though.
My newest skiwear is from Strafe and have both technical shell and pants that are very waterproof and breathable. Another brand that has nice colors and good pockets.
What about Arc Teryx? Other than the price, very technical and jackets come in nice colors. Think @Sparky has a bright pink one with orange trim that I am coveting...
And, yes, the European skiers (both men and women) are quite chic especially the Italians ! It's a different culture for sure. I felt quite frumpy in my Patagonia stuff.

I feel like I’ve met my spirit animal in you! I’ve mentally justified buying multiple jackets with the argument that they’re less expensive that multiple pairs of skis. That said, while I’ve appreciated the technical performance of my Arc’Teryx, Noronna, and “Patagucci” (per my girlfriends), they’re kind of boring. And I leave them at just that...technical performance.

But for functionality, they’re actually my least favorite. The pocketing seems to disappoint. I carry an obnoxious amount of stuff on me so I don’t have to schlep back to the car. Tissues, extra neck gator, extra goggle le se, sunscreen, lipgloss, keys, earbuds, gum, etc. And snacks on days I ski with my kiddos. It’s all ridiculous, so I appreciate functionality more than performance at times.

For what its worth, here are my thoughts from some of my more irresponsible trial and error. I use different jackets for different days, depending on where I'm skiing and what the weather is like outside. I get bored easily and like to change things up. Some of these I also wear snowmobiling and they function well for that too.

TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE - They will keep you dry and warm, the main objective, but it stops there. Pocketing and form are their biggest downfalls.
-Arc'Teryx: Despite their jackets not being my favorite, they currently have a bright neon green shell that I do want just for how shamelessly bright it is. It is a very solid performing shell.
-Patagonia aka PataGucci: They perform without a doubt, but not too "wow" on the color of my jacket but it works.
-Norrona: Colors are bland and I don't find that jacket to be super warm. To be fair it is a shell, and I do wear quality layers underneath. I will say that this jacket keeps me sooooo dry! Also, their Lofoten shell pants are amazing, especially for curvy girls that want a high waist with a lot of back coverage while still being flattering. They also secure very nicely to the powder skirt. They're my go-to black pants.
-Mammut: Kind of bland, but also performs similar to Patagonia. Will definitely keep you warm. Colors are okay. The pocketing is better than the others on the ski jacket. On my softshell jacket its actually quite bright, a pretty dragonfruit color, and surprisingly warm but the pockets are dismal.
-Helly Hansen: While I think they technically perform very well, they have better functionality and form than the others in this group.

FUNCTIONALITY PERFORMANCE - The first two are some of the most underrated brands that I have discovered in the trial and error process, and both of whom have been pleasant surprises.
-Strafe: Not many people now about this brand. Their color offerings are quite limited. However, the cut of their jackets are a little more flattering. The pocketing is exceptional, and the quality is excellent. The stitching of seams is flawless, corners are closures are reinforced, and the jacket itself is not too heavy.
-Orage: Another majorly underrated brand that gets heavily discounted. Pocketing is fantastic, brighter colors are offered (though limited), and the quality is fantastic. I wear this one on colder days as this one is insulated. Also, no matter how many times I wash it, it hasn't faded. This one is bright orange and purple. I also love how flattering the cut is.
-Marmot - Not the warmest, but they continually have the brightest and most complimentary color patterns, season after season. I don't care for the zippers on some of their jackets, but their price point is also a little bit lower. I do love my rain jacket from them. I appreciate they also offer a lot of coordinating pants. I should note that I think their jackets are plenty sufficient out here in the rockies where the snow is dry and powdery. Not sure about them on the east coast.
-Flylow: Never expected to love this jacket (I think its the Billy) as much as I do. I was worried it would look much more like a snowboarding jacket, but it has just enough of a feminine cut, while still giving great coverage on the backside. The color and lines are on point without being too much. Also, they make a pant classed Sassafrass that is hands down the most feminine ski pant I own. I've since purchased them in other colors because I love them so much. They're great for curvy figures.

FASHION PERFORMANCE
-Obermeyer: More fitted than any other brand I've purchased. In my opinion, I feel like their cuts are designed to intentionally flatter womens body type. They run small and don't feel as long as other brands. I had to really size up. I want one of their patterned jackets, but couldn't justify the price, so I selected a vibrant fuschia that makes me feel like I'm living my best life. It does feel a little restricting though.
-Dynafit: I should really put this in the category of technical performance for a complete soft shell ensemble, but its so beautiful, fun, and flattering while not very functional, that I put it in fashion. It's very fitted, so very little is going into pockets. Its the Athleta/Lululemon ATHLEISURE WEAR of ski gear! Beyond comfortable. I would highly recommend for anyone wanting something to wear touring, or who is really earning their turns! (Sidenote - Lulu and Athleta's ski jackets are cute but not perform well. Their vests are great under ski jackets though.) I would say it's more flattering as Helly Hansens Odin offering, but yet very similar while not as functional.
-Solomon: Similar cut to Obermeyer, little more affordable, and a little better functionality. I have long arms and my jacket always seems a touch short in the sleeves. It's fine with gloves on, but I'm meh without them. It's faded quickly.
-Spyder: Warm enough, but it sometimes feels a little to obnoxious to me so I rarely wear it. This was a waste of money. I do think if you want a cropped and fitted jacket, they do a good job with this.

I've never thrown down the money for anything from Boden. I've purchased a Haglof and Mountain Hardwear jacket, but returned them. Hands down, my all-time favorite brand is Helly Hansen across the board. Their jackets hold up well, they're reasonably feminine, technically perform very well, and have brighter colors to pick from. From daily driver jackets here to run errands in during the winter (Utah), to rain jackets, to snow jackets, they never disappoint. I really want the matching navy blue Aurura set that has a pop of teal and neon orange.

I would say look into Helly Hansen, Flylow, or maybe Dynafit. But it depends on how or where you are wanting to use it.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, another Jacket slut!!

Helly Hanson has realized that they are missing a market. They just sponsored by friends teenage that is on the Canadian Slopestyle team... They are also the new sponsor for the CSIA uniforms.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I feel like I’ve met my spirit animal in you! I’ve mentally justified buying multiple jackets with the argument that they’re less expensive that multiple pairs of skis. That said, while I’ve appreciated the technical performance of my Arc’Teryx, Noronna, and “Patagucci” (per my girlfriends), they’re kind of boring. And I leave them at just that...technical performance.

But for functionality, they’re actually my least favorite. The pocketing seems to disappoint. I carry an obnoxious amount of stuff on me so I don’t have to schlep back to the car. Tissues, extra neck gator, extra goggle le se, sunscreen, lipgloss, keys, earbuds, gum, etc. And snacks on days I ski with my kiddos. It’s all ridiculous, so I appreciate functionality more than performance at times.

For what its worth, here are my thoughts from some of my more irresponsible trial and error. I use different jackets for different days, depending on where I'm skiing and what the weather is like outside. I get bored easily and like to change things up. Some of these I also wear snowmobiling and they function well for that too.

TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE - They will keep you dry and warm, the main objective, but it stops there. Pocketing and form are their biggest downfalls.
-Arc'Teryx: Despite their jackets not being my favorite, they currently have a bright neon green shell that I do want just for how shamelessly bright it is. It is a very solid performing shell.
-Patagonia aka PataGucci: They perform without a doubt, but not too "wow" on the color of my jacket but it works.
-Norrona: Colors are bland and I don't find that jacket to be super warm. To be fair it is a shell, and I do wear quality layers underneath. I will say that this jacket keeps me sooooo dry! Also, their Lofoten shell pants are amazing, especially for curvy girls that want a high waist with a lot of back coverage while still being flattering. They also secure very nicely to the powder skirt. They're my go-to black pants.
-Mammut: Kind of bland, but also performs similar to Patagonia. Will definitely keep you warm. Colors are okay. The pocketing is better than the others on the ski jacket. On my softshell jacket its actually quite bright, a pretty dragonfruit color, and surprisingly warm but the pockets are dismal.
-Helly Hansen: While I think they technically perform very well, they have better functionality and form than the others in this group.

FUNCTIONALITY PERFORMANCE - The first two are some of the most underrated brands that I have discovered in the trial and error process, and both of whom have been pleasant surprises.
-Strafe: Not many people now about this brand. Their color offerings are quite limited. However, the cut of their jackets are a little more flattering. The pocketing is exceptional, and the quality is excellent. The stitching of seams is flawless, corners are closures are reinforced, and the jacket itself is not too heavy.
-Orage: Another majorly underrated brand that gets heavily discounted. Pocketing is fantastic, brighter colors are offered (though limited), and the quality is fantastic. I wear this one on colder days as this one is insulated. Also, no matter how many times I wash it, it hasn't faded. This one is bright orange and purple. I also love how flattering the cut is.
-Marmot - Not the warmest, but they continually have the brightest and most complimentary color patterns, season after season. I don't care for the zippers on some of their jackets, but their price point is also a little bit lower. I do love my rain jacket from them. I appreciate they also offer a lot of coordinating pants. I should note that I think their jackets are plenty sufficient out here in the rockies where the snow is dry and powdery. Not sure about them on the east coast.
-Flylow: Never expected to love this jacket (I think its the Billy) as much as I do. I was worried it would look much more like a snowboarding jacket, but it has just enough of a feminine cut, while still giving great coverage on the backside. The color and lines are on point without being too much. Also, they make a pant classed Sassafrass that is hands down the most feminine ski pant I own. I've since purchased them in other colors because I love them so much. They're great for curvy figures.

FASHION PERFORMANCE
-Obermeyer: More fitted than any other brand I've purchased. In my opinion, I feel like their cuts are designed to intentionally flatter womens body type. They run small and don't feel as long as other brands. I had to really size up. I want one of their patterned jackets, but couldn't justify the price, so I selected a vibrant fuschia that makes me feel like I'm living my best life. It does feel a little restricting though.
-Dynafit: I should really put this in the category of technical performance for a complete soft shell ensemble, but its so beautiful, fun, and flattering while not very functional, that I put it in fashion. It's very fitted, so very little is going into pockets. Its the Athleta/Lululemon ATHLEISURE WEAR of ski gear! Beyond comfortable. I would highly recommend for anyone wanting something to wear touring, or who is really earning their turns! (Sidenote - Lulu and Athleta's ski jackets are cute but not perform well. Their vests are great under ski jackets though.) I would say it's more flattering as Helly Hansens Odin offering, but yet very similar while not as functional.
-Solomon: Similar cut to Obermeyer, little more affordable, and a little better functionality. I have long arms and my jacket always seems a touch short in the sleeves. It's fine with gloves on, but I'm meh without them. It's faded quickly.
-Spyder: Warm enough, but it sometimes feels a little to obnoxious to me so I rarely wear it. This was a waste of money. I do think if you want a cropped and fitted jacket, they do a good job with this.

I've never thrown down the money for anything from Boden. I've purchased a Haglof and Mountain Hardwear jacket, but returned them. Hands down, my all-time favorite brand is Helly Hansen across the board. Their jackets hold up well, they're reasonably feminine, technically perform very well, and have brighter colors to pick from. From daily driver jackets here to run errands in during the winter (Utah), to rain jackets, to snow jackets, they never disappoint. I really want the matching navy blue Aurura set that has a pop of teal and neon orange.

I would say look into Helly Hansen, Flylow, or maybe Dynafit. But it depends on how or where you are wanting to use it.
Great run down on functionality and fit. Yes Helly Hansen is great. I forgot I have a cute bright pink w orange trim spring jacket that I actually wear on bike rides as well because of the large zippered vents running down the front of the jacket. Another technical brand that has boring colors (I have a red one) but nice fitted style (I'm petite and light weight) is Mountain Force. The fit is more of a euro cut so works well for me.
Disclaimer: most of these pricey brands that I have purchased I got on sale !

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
Great run down on functionality and fit. Yes Helly Hansen is great. I forgot I have a cute bright pink w orange trim spring jacket that I actually wear on bike rides as well because of the large zippered vents running down the front of the jacket. Another technical brand that has boring colors (I have a red one) but nice fitted style (I'm petite and light weight) is Mountain Force. The fit is more of a euro cut so works well for me.
Disclaimer: most of these pricey brands that I have purchased I got on sale !
I need to go check out Mountain Force. ALL my gear has been purchased on sale, usually previous season. With the exception of my Norrona pants. The deal makes me enjoy wearing them that much more!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Simply being women means we're taken (by some skiers) less seriously as skiers (they expect less technical proficiency from us, less technical curiosity of us, and less ambition to advance our technical proficiency). Any clothing that accentuates our femaleness (in their eyes) is seen by those people as confirming their expectations.

What should change, us or them?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Simply being women means we're taken (by some skiers) less seriously as skiers (they expect less technical proficiency from us, less technical curiosity of us, and less ambition to advance our technical proficiency). Any clothing that accentuates our femaleness (in their eyes) is seen by those people as confirming their expectations.

Someone (non skier) asked me once if I was a ski bunny. Um, no.

Jenny

Angel Diva

Them! I love my pretty pants.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's important to be "taken seriously" when we are in a shop buying boots or skis. Or when we teach skiing.

Otherwise, very few people are evaluating male or female skiers on the slopes with the goal of publicly applauding denigrating their skiing, although the occasional person on a chair will hoot. Recreational skiing is not much of a spectator sport.

Jilly

Staff member
Yeah, as soon as I mention...Ahm...I'm a CSIA L2 instructor...things change...

I love the European looks, but most are not warm enough for eastern Canada...The Salomon suit in my avatar is for warm spring days in the east or as this pic...Whistler. I'm usual suit is from Avalanche.

Scribble

Angel Diva
If it fits and has pockets and is otherwise functional, I'm good. Haha, my outfit last year was black from the helmet down. My primary goal is to be a contrasting color from the snow.

I'm annoyed when ski shops treat me like I've never seen a hill before, but there is a widely accepted bias that women are less athletically inclined. At the average rental shop its probably a safe assumption 6 times out of 10. It isn't meant to be disrespectful.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love bright colours for skiing. Actually I prefer when my ski buddies dress in brighter colours too, so I can more easily spot them!

One of my gripes about many womens ski pants is useless pockets/not big enough pockets. I'm so sick of the only pockets being those hip ones that you can't really use anyway because you're always bending at the hip while skiing! This season I've been wearing some flylow bibs (i think they are the foxy bib) that I got during my off season. They have huge thigh pockets which is GREAT. I can store my wallet and phone in them with room to spare and they're accessible even with my jacket off. Plus they came in a cute minty green, so they definitely hit that fashion and functionality blend for me!

I've had a couple of ski demo techs treat me kinda condescendingly (most are great though) but I assume that's just because I'm a short woman, not because I like to wear colourful ski clothing. I had the a similar experience when looking for new boots. Some bootfitters are great, some didn't take me seriously at all. Even in casual clothes. Maybe my casual clothes weren't hardcore enough...!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When we were at Jackson Hole for Diva West, I noticed that I was the only one (it seemed to me) wearing colorful, patterned ski pants. I know Jackson Hole is considered a serious ski mountain, so I was wondering if the reason was 1) that patterned pants were maybe more of an East Coast thing, or 2) that they were considered too fashion-forward/feminine and not for 'serious' skiers. I'm not the best skier out there, but I'm far from the worst. I don't care -- I love my patterned pants!
Good observation. I think it is because of a few reasons. The first from what I gather is that many assume that the more feminine looking brands are not designing for true extreme weather performance. True or not, I think many here go for the tried and true major brands that also design expedition quality outerwear. The other reason, which is kind of silly, is that in the early days it was all carhartts and skid wear and the assumption was that anyone wearing cute outfits was coming from a chi chi resort like Aspen or Sun Valley and the locals wanted to be more hardcore and down to earth. Then the new transplants in an effort to fit in followed suit.
I personally love fun clothing, but it has to perform at least as well as the mountaineering brands.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it also depends on the taste/style of the person or people doing the "judging". If a person who is wearing a more feminine or stylized ski outfit comes across others who have the same taste I'd bet that person would be taken more seriously than if they encountered people who value the more free-ride look. And the opposite would be true as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly