• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does it hurt to ski without your big toenail?

skyy_blue7

Certified Ski Diva
My big toenail came off early this year. Thought I was done for the season but the snow still good at Whistler so might go up with some friends tomorrow for spring skiing. Is this advisable?

I often lose my big toes but this year I discovered on a trip to Colorado that one of my boot liners had shrunk a bit and it was much more painful some days. My local boot fitter suggested it was probably from drying out the boot too close to a fireplace. (Yes, hubby don't do that!) The last time I skied, the boot fitter stretched the boot as much as he could but don't know for sure if it was enough. Its probably fine but without a toenail?!?

Jilly

Staff member
I can't see where the toe nail would make a difference. The whole toe...yeah. I've lost my big toe nail, but it was summer by the time it happened. It was just ugly in sandals...

skyy_blue7

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everyone. Well it did hurt a bit! The reason that my toenail falls off is because my boots can hit my toenail. So without a toenail, it just hits skin, which is somewhat sensitive having just lost the toenail. But a good day of skiing was had anyway. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I've heard that Barry is east now, but get those looked after. I suspect they have stretched out and at least the liners need to be replaced or the boot modified.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto what @Jilly said; those boots ain't your friend. Assuming a boot fits properly otherwise, good insoles with the right arch support should keep your toes from banging the front of your boot.

Plus it's not nothing to keep losing your nail. I lost a big toenail in high school playing b-ball in too-small sneakers and the dang thing hasn't been the same since. Me going out in public with bare feet and no toenail polish is an act of anti-social aggression.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
That s whyyorfeet re moving forward and hitting your big toe enught t lose a toe nil. My big toenail came off early this year. Thought I was done for the season but the snow still good at Whistler so might go up with some friends tomorrow for spring skiing. Is this advisable?

I often lose my big toes but this year I discovered on a trip to Colorado that one of my boot liners had shrunk a bit and it was much more painful some days. My local boot fitter suggested it was probably from drying out the boot too close to a fireplace. (Yes, hubby don't do that!) The last time I skied, the boot fitter stretched the boot as much as he could but don't know for sure if it was enough. Its probably fine but without a toenail?!?
You need a new pair of boots. Your boots are way too loose. It is not the length, but to much volume for your feet is the problem. That is why your feet are moving forword and hitting the tip of the boots. Most likely, the liners are packed down

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I have trouble with my toenails when they get just the tiniest bit too long. I keep them ridiculously (ugly) short all ski season. I keep nail clippers and an emery board in my ski bag just in case I need to take care of them at lunch. One day everything's fine, the next day, trouble.

Jilly

Staff member
You need a new pair of boots. Your boots are way too loose. It is not the length, but to much volume for your feet is the problem. That is why your feet are moving forword and hitting the tip of the boots. Most likely, the liners are packed down
Maybe, maybe not. I lost my toe nail because the toe box wasn't the right shape. It wasn't too big for sure. She needs a fitter.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Right, it is not the size. It is the volume and shape.
I have very low volume feet. I wear racer boots. I cannot wear any recreational boots.
Some boots are low volume, narrow, or both. And of course, different company has different shapes. You need to try many to find the best fitting pair. And if not, tweaked by a boot fitter.
You need to pay a lot of attentions so that your feet are firmly secured, not moving at all when buckled.
I also wear after mkt liners. Before I did all these, I have lost part of my toe nails once. No fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly