• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does anyone wear stretch ski pants these days?

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Those upthread that you posted are beautiful.
Do you mean 0 degrees Centigrade or Fahrenheit? I ski in single digits F, really cold.
Frauenschuh and Authier are Italian and Austrian made. They are incredibly well made. Frauenschuh are specially warm. I love them.

Amie H

Angel Diva
I still have my early 90s' dark teal wool stretch stirrup pants (I forget what brand) and I wore with a short teal metallic jacket (which sadly I no longer have) or a pretty dark teal hardshell (which I still have and use!) In the short jacket, my whole tuchas was exposed but somehow it worked because, hey, I was in my 20's! :wink:
I actually loved those pants, I wore with a polyproelene or merino baselayer. Never remember being cold and I was mostly skiing in Wisconsin then w a few CO trips.

Most of my pants these days are a variation of a stretch waterproof hiking pant with a lining. So not "puffy" but not skintight, either.

Christy

Angel Diva
Interesting. Also interesting they only have my size left. Rather steep price, though. I'd like someone in the PNW to try these with our wetter and more abundant snow and tell me how waterproof they are, on the off chance I ever see them (deeply) discounted.

1662141281209.png

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Interesting. Also interesting they only have my size left. Rather steep price, though. I'd like someone in the PNW to try these with our wetter and more abundant snow and tell me how waterproof they are, on the off chance I ever see them (deeply) discounted.

View attachment 19123
They are not waterproof. They are resistant.
Not many places carry these Loden, flannel, pair. Might be extremely hard to find them on sale at all. I see some are on Ebay and other places like it. They are fantastic. I have 2 pairs.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Those Frauenshuhs are gorgeous. Remind me of my riding jodhpurs, in the 90's I used to just wear black joddies on spring skiing bluebird days.

What about the Spyder Orb pants, does anyone have any feedback on those?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So does anyone have experience with a version of stretch pants that are warm when the temps are really low and the wind is blowing, and also that are water-resistant in case it's snowing (or raining)? I'm talking about pants without stirrups.

In other words, are they being made these days with improvements over the vintage ones?
I can't think of any that are in-boot design and also waterproof off the top of my head. There are more that are fitted through the thigh then flare. I own Volcom Battle Stretch pants that are tight but flared with 10-15k waterproofing in a "skinny fit", and am currently sized down in a very tight fit due to buying them 6lb ago, tighter than their stock photo suggests! The North Face do the Snoga pant which is supposed to be like yoga leggings but windproof and water resistant, and they felt a similar thickness to the Battles which are fleece lined softshell. I ski in New Zealand which is wet but rarely colder than 15F, and would wear these with layers underneath.

Attachments

• images (17).jpeg
    images (17).jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6
  • images (16).jpeg
    images (16).jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 6

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Are those Frauenshuhs wind-proof? I've been reluctant to try soft shells because I'm afraid they wouldn't keep the wind from whistling right through. And that'd be cold!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Are those Frauenshuhs wind-proof? I've been reluctant to try soft shells because I'm afraid they wouldn't keep the wind from whistling right through. And that'd be cold!
Yes.

Ones that I have are very warm.
They are very popular here in Aspen.

If you wear a pair of basewear, you are all set..
I have skied in super cold temp in mine.

All mine are Christie. Cannot say about the other styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna