• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Does anyone here meditate?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was using an app called "Calm". Longest stint was 21 days, and then I fell off the wagon.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Skier31 , a couple of years ago, I went to a weekend retreat with Pema Chodron. There were 24 hours of silence, which I actually enjoyed. It was harder when the silence was lifted, because it seems like everyone else was there with a friend; I was there solo. So I felt more isolated when people were talking than when it was quiet.

Also, most of the women in my dorm arrived late, weren't part of the starting ceremonies, and weren't in the spirit of things - they kept talking. I hope one day to participate in a (short) silent retreat.

How much nonverbal communication did you find went on? Was it actual conversation, or more utilitarian? I wonder if "chatting" would be counter to the intent. Maybe not.

My joints really hate meditation. Maybe even more than my brain. I don't think I could do an hour of sitting. 20 minutes is pretty tough on my knees in all of the positions I've tried. Maybe I should try a chair.

The non verbal communication was amazing. People holding doors for you, smiling, facial gestures during dinner. It was also very respectful and positive.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
I've used Calm https://www.calm.com/ and Headspace. https://www.headspace.com/
I currently have a monthly subscription to Headspace and am on a 50 day streak with 66 sessions and 10 hours spent meditating. Not wanting to break my streak really keeps me going with it. That and the short 10 minute sessions. Now if only I could be this consistent with regular exercise.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Another update: I haven't missed a day since the first of the year. So far, I have a cumulative 62 hours, or 271 sessions, using Headspace.com. And yes, I still like it.

In case anyone's interested, I did a blog post about meditation a couple weeks ago. You can find it here.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes. I started last year with the "Mindfulness Summit." https://themindfulnesssummit.com/ You can still purchase the recordings. Very interesting presenters. The goal is to introduce listeners to mindfulness or enhance the experience for those who already have a practice through a series of interviews (40-50 mins.) and short (5-10 mins.) guided meditations w/well known authors and practitioners. Well worth the price of admission. The first session is free.

I'm also lucky enough to be 10 minutes from a mindfulness center run by two of Thich Nhat Hanh's students. They have wonderful Saturday retreats.

This online program is good too. And its free!
https://palousemindfulness.com/

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So I just thought I'd post an update. Yes, I'm still at it -- 15 minutes a day every. single. day. I actually haven't missed a day since I started in early January, 2016. I've made a few changes: I no longer use Headspace -- which I still believe is a great way to get started. Instead, I use an app called Insight Timer, which lets you either set a timer so you meditate on your own, or else follow one of the many guided meditations it makes available. I mostly do my own thing, though.

Last summer I started following the mediation with 15 minutes of yoga/light stretching. I play some relaxing yoga music (a list curated by Pandora), and it's a nice transition between meditating and the rest of the day. I even stand on my head for 2 minutes, which makes me feel really good.

17103566_10154892891835446_6994597319829439583_n.jpg

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I just thought I'd post an update. Yes, I'm still at it -- 15 minutes a day every. single. day. I actually haven't missed a day since I started in early January, 2016. I've made a few changes: I no longer use Headspace -- which I still believe is a great way to get started. Instead, I use an app called Insight Timer, which lets you either set a timer so you mediate on your own, or else follow one of the many guided meditations it makes available. I mostly do my own thing, though.

Last summer I started following the mediation with 15 minutes of yoga/light stretching. I play some relaxing yoga music (a list curated by Pandora), and it's a nice transition between meditating and the rest of the day. I even stand on my head for 2 minutes, which makes me feel really good.

View attachment 7139

Just looking at that makes my head hurt! But it's great that it works for you.

This week, I'm starting a series of classes that include mindfulness as a major component ... so I'm not going to be able to avoid meditation the way I have been!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Just looking at that makes my head hurt! But it's great that it works for you.

There's a yoga headstand that doesn't really have you resting directly on your head. Hard to describe, but you sort of cup your hands around the front of your head and rest on your forearms. The arms take your weight, not your head and/or neck.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's a yoga headstand that doesn't really have you resting directly on your head. Hard to describe, but you sort of cup your hands around the front of your head and rest on your forearms. The arms take your weight, not your head and/or neck.

Yeah, I know. But honestly, this doesn't bother me at all. I've been able to do this since I was like 4 years old. I feel great afterwards, from the blood flowing to my head. The trick is not to get up too quickly, so you don't get dizzy.

Last edited:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Yeah, I know. But honestly, this doesn't bother me at all. I've been able to do this since I was like 4 years old. I feel great afterwards, from the blood rushing to my head. The trick is not to get up too quickly, so you don't get dizzy.

Yes, when you do a headstand during a yoga practice, you're supposed to rest in child's pose for a bit before slowly getting up.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with @bounceswoosh; I really can't stand meditating. Unlike her I've no real interest in working at it. I've tried it a few times for a few months, and god, I just hate it. I hate the feeling that I'm doing it wrong, I hate the feeling that I must really "need it" because I hate it. It just seems like a place to notice the crap in my life that is not perfect that I can't avoid. I would much rather spend time in my garden, or taking a solo hike or bike ride. I get so much more from those types of activities.

I'm curious, for those of you who do enjoy meditating, what has it done for you? Does it really make a big difference in your life?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with @bounceswoosh; I really can't stand meditating. Unlike her I've no real interest in working at it. I've tried it a few times for a few months, and god, I just hate it. I hate the feeling that I'm doing it wrong, I hate the feeling that I must really "need it" because I hate it. It just seems like a place to notice the crap in my life that is not perfect that I can't avoid. I would much rather spend time in my garden, or taking a solo hike or bike ride. I get so much more from those types of activities.

I'm curious, for those of you who do enjoy meditating, what has it done for you? Does it really make a big difference in your life?

Hey, everyone is different, and if you hate it, then obviously, it's not for you. For me, though, it's very calming and helps me eliminate a lot of the crap that's going on in my head, not just during meditation, but throughout my day. I think it provides me with the tools I need to see things a bit differently and has made me a bit more patient, as well as a better listener. One thing's for sure: after biting my nails for my entire life, I finally kicked the habit. I can't say for certainty it was meditation that did it, but I will say that it happened only after I began meditating, and I wasn't making any effort to stop. I don't think it's a coincidence.

As they say, whatever works for you. I can understand what you're saying about biking, hiking, etc. Those things make me feel better, too. This is just another thing that helps.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't been interested in mediation in the past. But recently been trying to figure out what Mindfulness is. Picked up a book by the man who is teaching Mindfulness to Google employees. He was a computer geek before switching careers and moving into HR. The book is Searching Inside Yourself by Chade-Meng Tan. It's an oddly analytical and yet very simple introduction to techniques that are easy to learn.

A review of a 2-day class by Meng's Institute. He retired from Google in 2015. But not just to create a business. The info in the class is also available in a free app. What the reviewer mentions is also spelled out in the book. Pretty sure Google continues to teach the course to their employees.

https://www.businessinsider.com/earch-inside-yourself-program-google-2016-11

Last edited:

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do it sporadically... but I'm so easily distracted that it's incredibly difficult for me. If I wear ear plugs and tune the world out, it's easier, but I feel like that defeats the purpose. I've never tried a guided meditation though, perhaps I should.

newboots

Angel Diva
I don't see why learning to meditate in a quiet place is defeating the purpose! Helps you learn, right?

I love guided meditations. I do feel like that's cheating, although it is used extensively in mindfulness classes. But it gets me to where I need to be, and I feel better, so I go ahead. Better than nothing!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't see why learning to meditate in a quiet place is defeating the purpose! Helps you learn, right?

I guess because I feel one of the goals of meditation is to be able to remove yourself from what is going on around you and reach your center. And by using ear plugs, you're taking a short-cut. I think a quiet place is one thing, but using something to specifically deprive one of your senses in order to concentrate is also kind of cheating. During meditation, you should be able to naturally tune out distractions. Or at least that's how I feel about it. I don't know, it's always something... a sound, an itch, my dog... It is difficult for me to let go of everything OUT THERE and concentrate solely on IN THERE. If that makes sense.

newboots

Angel Diva
@COchick - I do get it. But I think that's the goal, not necessarily the process to get there. If ear plugs help you learn to do it, and later you can do without it, then you're getting there. Maybe I should try them! But my distractions come from my brain. Nonstop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly