• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear your bottom baselayer inside your boot cuff??

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hehe, maybe I just have fat calves, but I think wearing a compression tight down to my ankle, if anything, is giving me MORE room in my boots, not less.
Easy enough to measure with a measuring tape. Measure your calf with it on, then take them off and measure. The 'fat' has to go somewhere...up? Mine moves up over the course of the season, until by March it looks like I have these muscular calves, but it's really fat that's been slowly moved up my legs. :laugh:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hehe, maybe I just have fat calves, but I think wearing a compression tight down to my ankle, if anything, is giving me MORE room in my boots, not less.
It's not about the space for me, it's that the bottom seam digs into my ankle cutting off circulation.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought my daughter the Icebreaker Women's Bodyfit 260 Midweight Legless Tight Capri last Christmas. Since she is short (5'3") she has a heck of a time with this issue. She is quite happy with them. All other capris she has tried have been "full length" on her.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
CW-X full length over thin Smart Wool socks, all inside my boots, but I kinda have stick legs so could actually use a bit of volume? :noidea: The flat-locked CW-X seams work for me as well, no problem. 4-way stretch fleece, ankle length, over the compression tights when it's super-cold, same positioning.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I bought my daughter the Icebreaker Women's Bodyfit 260 Midweight Legless Tight Capri last Christmas. Since she is short (5'3") she has a heck of a time with this issue. She is quite happy with them. All other capris she has tried have been "full length" on her.

Ah interesting.. I am only 5'4" so I could potentially have the same problem..

The funny thing is that my bootfitter gave me a big speech about nothing other than a super thin liner sock in the boot! And then sold me the full length CW-X tights. He explained what he meant was no thick socks (the important part is the ankle and foot) and no bulky layers or anything that could bunch around your calf. :laugh:
I was googling this question and of course this thread came up! I just received a pair of insulated CW-X compression tights (full length) today and they are a good fit, want to try them tomorrow morning at my local mountain. I cannot imagine fitting my ski socks under these tights, what do you do @altagirl?

altagirl

Staff member
I was googling this question and of course this thread came up! I just received a pair of insulated CW-X compression tights (full length) today and they are a good fit, want to try them tomorrow morning at my local mountain. I cannot imagine fitting my ski socks under these tights, what do you do @altagirl?
I don't recall ever having an issue with that, but I've never used anything other than ultra thin ski socks?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
All my base layer bottoms are boot cut so no issue with socks..... But I wear a compression sleeve knee brace that sometimes gets in the way. Haven't worn full length base layer bottoms in a decade.

newboots

Angel Diva
Capri length are the way to go (or “boot cut”).

Reactions: RJ*

Sparky

Angel Diva
Nothing in my boots but my feet and my socks.
This! I wouldn't recommend tights in the boots. I made that mistake early on (my first season skiing!) one day at Whistler, my shin was so sore the next couple days that I could barely ski. I even bought thicker socks to try and cushion it but to no avail. Perhaps some do tuck their baselayers into their boots, but didn’t work for me, or make sure they’re all the way down by past your shins where you’re not putting pressure on them. All I wear now are 3/4 cw-x stabilyx compression tights.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow, old thread! Looks like I started it back in 2010 :smile:

Now that I’ve evolved in my skiing from back then.. I can also confidently say that I will not wear anything else within my ski boots besides very thin wool socks. I wear 3/4 CW-X as my baselayer and love them. I wouldn’t wear the full length skiing though. I’d be especially concerned about seams, if there are any.

Full length CW-X here, and if I need an extra layer, I roll it.
Wow, old thread! Looks like I started it back in 2010 :smile:
Now that I’ve evolved in my skiing from back then.. I can also confidently say that I will not wear anything else within my ski boots besides very thin wool socks. I wear 3/4 CW-X as my baselayer and love them. I wouldn’t wear the full length skiing though. I’d be especially concerned about seams, if there are any.
An oldie but goodie thread! I'm skiing my local mountain today and I'll see how the full length goes. I don't like the feel of 3/4 length tights typically so I thought I would start here since the full length will be useful for other winter activities. CW-X is so insanely expensive that I'm proceeding carefully. I know there are other less-expensive brands (DH has found some on Amazon) but I really wanted to try the CW-X insulated compression tights.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Except for the down base layer pants I wear ankle length Athleta fleece lined tights. Inside my boots. With thin ski socks, usually under the tights. The down ones I try and roll up above the height of my ski boat. They need to be shortened but I don’t know of a tailor in Vermont that would like to do that for me.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a strong opinion on this. I allow nothing inside the boot cuffs but thin ski socks.

I have Reynaud's syndrome. My feet are always cold. Always. I need lots of heat inside my boots to keep my toes warm.

My thighs get cold. Very cold, always. On our New England single-digit days, I wear three liners on top of each other under my ski pants. It takes forever to get them on in the morning, and in the afternoon I can't wait to get them off. They keep my thighs warm.

But not one of those liners goes down into my boot cuffs, and the little bit of leg between the bottom of the liners and the top of boot never ever gets cold. It has a thin ski sock on it, and the ski pants over it. That's enough for that spot of my anatomy.

Can't speak for others....

Jilly

Staff member
Absolutely nothing inside your boots except your feet in socks. I cut off all my baselayer to fit. Just cut off a pair of merino wools to realize they are actually too big!! Might try to shrink, but I'll keep an eye out for another pair on sale.

Think about when you got your boots fitted. Did you wear anything else except socks? NO. So that is how your boots were made to fit you!!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Complete sacrilege of course, but in my early ski days before all my favorite base layers were capri length, I would sometimes wear full length with thin wool ankle socks so there would be no overlap of fabric. Mind you, those full length were snug all the way down like a compression layer would be, so no bunching of fabric anywhere either. And once or twice I even did wool footed tights, the all in one solution, when I stopped by the hill to squeeze in a few runs on my way to somewhere else. (Got back to the car, wriggled from snow pants to skirt, and no one was any the wiser.)

altagirl

Staff member
Absolutely nothing inside your boots except your feet in socks. I cut off all my baselayer to fit. Just cut off a pair of merino wools to realize they are actually too big!! Might try to shrink, but I'll keep an eye out for another pair on sale.

Think about when you got your boots fitted. Did you wear anything else except socks? NO. So that is how your boots were made to fit you!!
I actually believe that I do typically wear my CWX compression tights to my boot fittings. But any extra or non compression layers do not go in my boots.

Jilly

Staff member
I actually believe that I do typically wear my CWX compression tights to my boot fittings. But any extra or non compression layers do not go in my boots.
Good that you thought to bring them. A lot of people don't even bring ski socks. Then they have to buy a pair as sharing socks isn't done anymore!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly