• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you wear matching ski jacket and pants?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have trouble finding people on the move on snow. When I ski in groups (usually PSIA courses early season), I get lost easily, then ski up to the wrong group unknowingly until they tell me I'm not one of them. It's so embarrassing. I've found that if I lock onto one ski jacket, a loudly colored one, and don't let my eyes leave that jacket, I'm OK. Last year a patterned jacket worked for me. This year I'll pay close attention to see if a solid color or a pattern works better for me.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I've found that if I lock onto one ski jacket, a loudly colored one, and don't let my eyes leave that jacket, I'm OK. Last year a patterned jacket worked for me. This year I'll pay close attention to see if a solid color or a pattern works better for me.

This reminds me of a story of a friend that I regularly ski with, and how the "don't let your eyes leave that jacket", is very important.

My friend used to ski in a black helmet, dark burnt orange jacket and a pair of charcoal pants...tough to spot on the slopes. A couple years ago he bought a green jacket with BRIGHT yellow detail (zippers, inside of the hood, logos...etc). We were all excited that he finally switched to something a bit easier to spot.

Fast forward to first day out on the slopes with his new jacket...all of a sudden the lift line was swarmed with 12+ people all wearing the same jacket as he was wearing. The only difference being a small, embroidered logo on the front. A local ski team had the same jacket!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought my current jacket in the 2012-2013 season to go with my already-all-black bottoms. I remember that the predominant color scheme on the hill was green-brown, with a good smattering of orange and teal and other colors. Skiers dressed more like snowboarders, with baggy, loose looks. Getting a black, tight-fitting outfit was my way of being different.

But, soon thereafter, all the men and a good number of women were wearing all-black; sleeker lines, bigger goggles, lots of stretchy softshell pants. I blended right in, to my horror.

Thankfully, last season, it was more colorful, albeit mostly colors that go with black or gray, with a sudden upsurge in Spyder and Arcteryx. Men are wearing looser clothes, and women are wearing more insulation.

So, three (shocking!) possibilities:

1) My memory sucks.
2) A completely different set of people come to Oregon each winter.
3) Most people buy a new outfit every year or every couple of years!

(And if you're thinking that six years is a long time to own a jacket, consider that the winter jacket I had before that dates back to 1997!)

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just found a baggy fluorescent green jacket, snow-board type, at the thrift shop for $3. Got it! This is totally not my usual look. I'll be incognito when I wear it, maybe even wearing the new thrift-shop pink pants with it. No one will know it's me. It'll be my day off!

KBee

Angel Diva
...as in, MATCHING, e.g., made by same manufacturer, made to "go together?"
If not, how much do you care about how the two go together?

No, and not at all. Off white Patagonia soft shell pants from 1999, (I just really like them, and haven't found anything better.) and a black rain proof shell from Mtn Hardware (I think). They don't go together in the slightest. I don't care much what I look like in general, except for really bright colors. Not my bag. I'd almost prefer not to match, though I don't like black and navy together so much. Mostly I go for fit and function at a good price.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in my favorite ski shop this last weekend getting boots worked on. I had lots of down time while my bootfitter went into his secret cave and worked miracles on my boots, so I browsed the clothing. Every jacket on display had its matching pants. Some of those pants have wild patterns on them that match the patterns on the jackets.

Some skiers must buy these sets, right? But the parts are sold separately. At the end of season the sale racks have pieces of the broken sets marked down. But still, someone must be fully matching out there.

I'll look next time I'm out on snow for the full sets. I'm just curious. I've never thought much about it since I buy my ski clothing at thrift shops. You'd be surprised what turns up there for $6.00 (even Bogner).

My pants and jackets never match :smile:.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Some skiers must buy these sets, right? But the parts are sold separately. At the end of season the sale racks have pieces of the broken sets marked down. But still, someone must be fully matching out there.

Much of the time I feel like the sets are set up to "go together" but not really look like a "set". They are also put together on racks as sets for display purposes. Jackets will always look better on a rack next to a matching pant rather than a pant that clashes, regardless if they are purchased together or not.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Online manufacturers show jackets by themselves, same for the pants. I can't find "sets" online. But in the shop this weekend the "sets" seemed very obvious. That's why I asked the question originally. Interesting.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Savers, Danvers MA.
Beverly Bootstraps, Beverly MA
Campton Area Resource Center, Campton NH (best ever, but you have to time it right)
Encore Thrift Shop, Lincoln NH

The bottom two are up in ski country, so there's more donated there but more customers are looking for ski clothing so it doesn't last. The top two are near me at home, so I visit them on a regular basis.

KBee

Angel Diva
Once in the late '80s or early '90s my mom got me a pink Ellesse sweater, tight black pants, and shiny jacket with a big embroidered medallion on it--all a matching set (on close-out, no returns). It was really nice (wool, well made), but just not very warm. It was like what someone would wear on Dynasty. Edited to add: Hopefully was someone's thrift store treasure find!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Co-ordinated(or at least i think it is).If I wear my slate grey jacket then I would never wear white pants with it-its my pink ones.Being tall there arent that many manufacturers that cater for me so I just have to do the best I can.Also I really think that if you wear good looking clothes skiing then your skiing has to look as good as your clothes!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I inadvertently have a matching outfit - Peak Performance navy jacket and bright pink pants. I bought the pink pants first to go with a brown jacket, which promptly died. The jacket was something I wasn't planning on buying but it was on sale.... I don't use the PP interface between jacket and pants, but although they were from a couple seasons apart, they match well

Jenny

Angel Diva
No. But my outfit creepily matches the colors of my skis.
I have one coordinating set of pants and jacket that match the Kenjas. And my boots. I didn't plan it, but since the colors are pink and black it makes me feel somewhat funny, like people might be judging me on it, but I also don't completely dislike it. Sort of. I think. (Can you tell I'm conflicted?)

If I were a badder-ass skier it wouldn't bother me, but I hate that maybe people can use me as an example of a stereotype - "See, women who wear pink and match can't ski" - and then dismiss others because of me.

(ETA - I do LOVE the pants that started the whole chain - pink and black plaid. And they have a silver sparkly thread in the pattern, too. I call them my princess pants.)

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ Me too.

I just bought a puff ski jacket in lime green with a faux fir lined hood and a nice little belt. Good pockets. It's "pretty." I like what I see in the mirror, but don't usually wear "pretty" ski jackets. My usual jackets are understated in design, simply technical for being warm.

I fear being dismissed by virtue of looking "pretty" if I wear this thing. Women in expensive-looking ski jackets with fur lined hoods fit a certain stereotype, don't they? I don't like being dismissed. And this jacket definitely doesn't feel like my usual usual.

So I'm giving it to the thrift shop. I think. Yes, I will. There, decided. Or maybe not; maybe I'll wear it somewhere. But then I have too many jackets so I should not hold onto one that I am not sure I'll wear. But I need to let go of this one.

First world problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna