• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Do you lock your skis?

sweetnsnooty

Certified Ski Diva
I haven't actually seen anyone do this, but I wonder if anyone here does lock their skis at resorts in those common ski "parking" spaces?

Has anyone heard of skis being stolen while the owner parks them and goes off to the bathroom or for lunch?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, there's a loooooong thread about this subject HERE. Set aside some time if you want to read through the whole thing. :wink:

In a nutshell, I do not lock my skis, but am seriously considering it now that I have new skis this season that would be a lot more desirable than my old ones. And yeah, there are more than a couple of people here who at least know someone who has had skis stolen, unfortunately.

Bing

Angel Diva
Very common to lock your skis in Ontario - most resorts have the same locking system so I own a lock and keep it in my pocket.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not lock my skis, despite being told there are lots of theft at my home mountain. I would be surprised if someone wanted my old (ex-demo) elan skis. They still have rental numbers on them. If my skis were new I would lock them.

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, if I want to keep them. Sometimes people are not aware of their own gear and pick up another person's belongings by accident. Then they don't know where to put them back.

A determined thief will be able to overcome most locks, but it is worth the extra few seconds in locking up. Avoiding honest mistakes and deterring opportunity thieves allows you to enjoy a hassle free day.

snowbunny1976

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now that I have new skis, I do. When I was using my old, used-to-be-rentals-in-another-life I didn't care, and they looked old, so if somebody really wanted them, they could have 'em!

I remember once renting and as Bklyn said, someone picked them up by accident and put them back on the other side of the lodge. I almost had a heart attack thinking that I would now owe the resort $400!

abc

Banned
Keep them on your feet!

It's pretty hard for someone to steal it or take it by mistake when you're standing on top of it! :smile:

(you can still lose it, but then you need powder leash instead of locks)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep them on your feet!

It's pretty hard for someone to steal it or take it by mistake when you're standing on top of it! :smile:

(you can still lose it, but then you need powder leash instead of locks)
I'd like to see you do that when you pee.

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lock 'em up! I never used to then I heard about an entire pick-up truck of skis wandering away from my home mountain! I have witnessed the theft of poles and even a helmet. So yes, I now lock my skis!

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I answered no in the old post (was secretly hoping someone would steal those damn things). Now with the Fuegos I'll be locking them.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely yes, all the time. Had a brand new, never-skied pair of skis stolen from a local mountain about 4 years ago, and I never want to go through that again. Came out of the lodge after putting on my ski boots and the skis were gone. I also double-wrap the lock cable around my ski poles (carbon fiber Goode poles) because I'd be ticked big-time if they disappeared.

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
Just do it!

Depending on the resort (and yes, the age of your skis) take them to the common ski corral (usually it's free or very cheap). I've know people who have lost even old gear, especially poles. Some idiot looses a pole off a chair and then helps themselves to yours....

altagirl

Staff member
Nope. I just stay nearby and keep an eye on them (all my skis are easily identifiable as mine).

I'd love to catch someone laying a hand on them...

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lock. My husband has been pounding into our kids too. We've had a few thefts this season that I know of at Sunday River, including one of the kids on my son's team who had a custom board stolen last weekend while we were gathered post-race to get awards. Nice follow up though, the local shop was offering a "Buy a board get a board free" deal, and one of the local parents who was toying with picking up the sport, went and bought one so the kid could get the 2nd free and be able to compete the next day.:thumbsup:

Yes, anyone can cut those wires with a cutter, but it's a deterrent. $10 lock to keep your $700-1000 set up safe.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny - since that original post I have now bought a lock and use it every time I'm at the resort. I started skiing on a pretty unique set-up that seems to be sought-after in small circles (but it's probably all in my head). My husband is completely anal about his new skis and he always locks his up too.

It's nice to be able to go to the lodge for a beer and forget about it.

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely yes, all the time. Had a brand new, never-skied pair of skis stolen from a local mountain about 4 years ago, and I never want to go through that again. Came out of the lodge after putting on my ski boots and the skis were gone. I also double-wrap the lock cable around my ski poles (carbon fiber Goode poles) because I'd be ticked big-time if they disappeared.
Ugh - what a way to learn your lesson.:( Yeah, I never leave mine unlocked - even mid mountain when no one else bothers to lock. Part of my paranoia about it this year is what you mentioned - my poles. I got these expensive Goode carbon fiber poles for half price end of season last year & the original price was like $120. They would just be so easy for someone to grab - and they have the bright orange baskets that really stand out. So even if I'm using my older skis, I'll lock for the sake of the poles!

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just bought a lock...lost Tierras once (albeit, lost by FedEx, not stolen from a ski area) and I'm not going to lose them again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly