• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you lock up your skis?

Molly

Certified Ski Diva
I usually don't, unless it's a really busy day and I'm at a base area. Then I swap one ski with whomever I'm skiing with and place the msimatched pairs far away from each other . So far, this seems to work.

I do have a friend, though, who had a snowboard stolen at Blue Mountain in PA. And someone else I know their skis stolen from the ski lock-up at an inn in Mount Snow.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of depends where I'm when I'm skiing. If it's a weekday and pretty quiet, I usually don't bother. And if I'm stopped at lodge that isn't at the base, I usually don't bother there, either (after all, someone needed skis to get up there, didn't they?). Maybe this is negligent or niave. Any thoughts on this?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never lock mine either. At this point I wish someone would take my skis because they are clapped out!!

Terry

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The owner of a ski shop told me that my skis were the most stolen in the area. So I lock them up, youbetcha.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Liquidfeet! Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here!

What kind of skis are you talking about?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The ski shop owner was in North Conway. She had just gotten a call from a ski resort saying that a skier had reported missing skis. Evidently when that happens the resorts call the shops to alert them, so if a thief brings in the skis to get them adjusted they can get caught.

Anyway we had a nice conversation about which skis got stolen the most often.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never locked mine up previously, but last year my husband's skis were stolen at Deer Valley!:eek: Locks are a must now!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since my daughter's skis were stolen at Camelback in Pa I rarely lock my skis. That day hers were locked and the theif was looking for new skis and had a lock cutter along. the theif collected all the new skis people got for the holidays. What that said to me is that if they want them they will take them, locked or not.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The best way to secure your skis is to put them in the corrall if one is available.

My local hill offers a ski corrall $2/day. $1/day for season pass holders.
That's mighty cheap insurance for a pair of skis!

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lilgeorg said:
Since my daughter's skis were stolen at Camelback in Pa I rarely lock my skis. That day hers were locked and the theif was looking for new skis and had a lock cutter along. the theif collected all the new skis people got for the holidays. What that said to me is that if they want them they will take them, locked or not.
Man, that theif had balls!:eek:

Jilly

Staff member
I always lock mine up. Last year at a ski instructors clinic, one of the level 4's split his and someone picked up one of his and one of theirs. So, splitting doesn't always work. Plus I'm in the lock business, so I need to practice what I preach. I have two different locks. One cable lock and one Ski-key. That said Hubby got his taken off the gondola at Tremblant last year. He ended up with a shorter, more abused version of his ski. All the more reason to identify them some way. Engraving numbers on them is a deterrant. He got new ones through our insurance, but the hassle - police reports etc. But as lilgeorg says if they want them bad enough, they'll get em!! That guy was out looking if he had bolt cutters.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Jilly,

Which lock do you prefer? Does either fit comfortably in a pocket? I usually just separate my skis and put the mismatched pairs far apart - but I got new skis last spring and I'm thinking I might get a lock this year.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always lock mine up too. I carry one of those little plastic locks that has a long cord that zips in and out. It fits easily in my jacket pocket, and I just use it everytime I step out of my skis. Once, oddly, when I came out of the lodge to get my skis after having locked them up (I thought), I found the skis there but not the lock. The lock was not in any of my pockets, and I was very certain I remembered locking it up. I looked at all the skis nearby, to see if I had absentmindedly locked up someone else's skis, but no. I asked inside if someone had reported that their skis were locked up by someone else, and no that wasn't it. Then I rummaged around in the snow around my skis to see if it had somehow fallen into the snow, and no. My best guess is that I didn't close the lock fully, some kid watched me and decided to take the lock but not the skis. So weird, and lucky too.

I've also locked it up and been unable to get the lock to UNlock. It's easy to reset the lock combination if you aren't careful, and that was what I had done, and I did it twice. I had to get the lodge guru to cut the lock, and I went and bought another one on the spot, both times. Twice served as a good warning to me to learn just how to reset the combination and be sure I don't do it inadvertantly again.

Jilly

Staff member
Marigee: Some areas do not have ski-key racks, so the lock is of no use. And usually the racks are full and you can't use them The cable lock which is what liquidfeet is describing works anywhere. But check your bindings. If there is no hole, say in the brake plate for the cable to pass through, the lock is useless. Kryptonite, Recoiler are some of the brand names of these cable locks. I've also been worried that there are only so many combinations for the ski-key locks. So it might be possible to have the same key as the set next to you. The ski-key is a plastic tube with a hole in the end to attach it to a lanyard. Otherwise it's easy to lose - Hubby's done it! The cable locks are a little bigger and heavier, but they do fit in a pocket.

Finn

Diva in Training
My skis were stolen at windham resort lodge yesterday. Bye bye volkl flair 78’s. I’m so upset-I had them a year.
I just bought new skis today (volkl kenja’s) and I’m so paranoid now. Is there a lock brand anyone suggests? I’m afraid of losing a key, but the key locks look more beefy.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My skis were stolen at windham resort lodge yesterday. Bye bye volkl flair 78’s. I’m so upset-I had them a year.
I just bought new skis today (volkl kenja’s) and I’m so paranoid now. Is there a lock brand anyone suggests? I’m afraid of losing a key, but the key locks look more beefy.
That stinks! We just use the recoiler type cable lock, but I’m not really under any illusions that someone who really wanted to couldn't just break the plastic part of it, or just cut the cable. I just want them to have to work for it.

Finn

Diva in Training
That stinks! We just use the recoiler type cable lock, but I’m not really under any illusions that someone who really wanted to couldn't just break the plastic part of it, or just cut the cable. I just want them to have to work for it.

Thx for the reply. Is it a combo lock?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Welcome, and sorry to hear your skis were stolen. I had a pair stolen long ago, and it was extremely upsetting.

I've used a Ski Lock on occasion. I think they have one of these systems at Windham, and it's very easy to use. But I'm not sure how widespread they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly