• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Do you lock up your skis?

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Sometimes I do, mostly I don’t. I bought Leki trigger poles last season and got a lock that can secure strapless poles with the skis. I’ve locked them at base areas out west but rarely at local resorts. If it’s really cold, though, I don’t know if I would bother fiddling with a lock.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I carry my lock w/me- depends where I am.. if near a parking lot/base YES I lock them. If I"m up on the Mt for lunch no (unless near a down loading gondola) I also Put Stickers on my skis and Write my name on them. With so many people skiing the same skis yours could be taken by mistake.86718294_10218498323880806_1853788883741835264_n.jpg

kiki

Angel Diva
I carry my lock w/me- depends where I am.. if near a parking lot/base YES I lock them. If I"m up on the Mt for lunch no (unless near a down loading gondola) I also Put Stickers on my skis and Write my name on them. With so many people skiing the same skis yours could be taken by mistake.View attachment 20555
@nopoleskier looks like we are skiing the same ski! I love m’y z90’s and would be crushed if they were lost. I’ll have to see what stickers I can find to add to them that’s a fun idea.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@nopoleskier looks like we are skiing the same ski! I love m’y z90’s and would be crushed if they were lost. I’ll have to see what stickers I can find to add to them that’s a fun idea.
I love my Z-90''s!! I wrote my name in marker under the foot too :-) I put stickers on everything. no way can they say they took my stuff by mistake!! My helmet is covered in stickers- it has helped at ski areas that scan every ride up-- I've had the lifties say "Oh you the sticker lady- you're good" no digging my pass out of my coat, lol

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The nice thing about my Earharts here in the midwest is that I have yet to see a pair. YOU KNOW if they take mine they were stolen. I also lock them up though. I love them so much, and would be SO SAD if they were taken. Especially now that the blue top sheet is no longer.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going to Whistler during Spring Break and I was wondering how many of you lock up your skis? I've never really worried about anyone stealing mine (jr small skis), but I don't know how common it is as I see many skis without locks.
I've never locked mine up anywhere, including Whistler. You can put one ski on one rack and one on another a ways a way to deter thefts, if you're worried!

Jilly

Staff member
I've never locked mine up anywhere, including Whistler. You can put one ski on one rack and one on another a ways a way to deter thefts, if you're worried!
I've seen someone pick up a guys and then one of his. Same ski, same size, different BSL so they noticed. If it can happen to one of the best ski instructor, it can happen to anyone. Lock em up so they are together.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen someone pick up a guys and then one of his. Same ski, same size, different BSL so they noticed. If it can happen to one of the best ski instructor, it can happen to anyone. Lock em up so they are together.
You do you, I do me, right?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I’m not sure I understand the separating your skis thing, can someone please explain how/why that would be easier than locking them - if security is the concern? I’m honestly confused.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m not sure I understand the separating your skis thing, can someone please explain how/why that would be easier than locking them - if security is the concern? I’m honestly confused.
The thought being that if you separate them and put them on separate racks so they are hard to find at a glance the thief won't want to steal a single ski or a mis-matched pair so they won't bother to take them

Jilly

Staff member
The only problem with separating the skis is making sure you can find both of your skis. I was at a ski instructor camp and a course conductor ended up with 2 skis that were not a pair. Same length ski, different boot sole lengths. So if you have a popular model of ski, this may not be a good idea.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Haha that was what I was thinking! If it's a crowded day I can barely remember where exactly I locked up my pair of skis. Definitely not going to remember where the two separate ones are.. And what about poles? I have Lekis, so no straps. Do people put one with each ski??

This sounds like sooooo much more of a pita than just carrying a small palm sized lock. I have no idea why that is more appealing. Also, if it's not busy your separated skis will stick out like a sore thumb. :noidea:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The only problem with separating the skis is making sure you can find both of your skis. I was at a ski instructor camp and a course conductor ended up with 2 skis that were not a pair. Same length ski, different boot sole lengths. So if you have a popular model of ski, this may not be a good idea.
this is my source of confusion. So, I have Renouns, have seen maybe 2 other pairs here in the Midwest. I lock mine up. Husband has Nordica Enforcers. If 2-3 Enforcer skiers all split theirs, I can see a hot mess. Thank you for clarifying.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The thought being that if you separate them and put them on separate racks so they are hard to find at a glance the thief won't want to steal a single ski or a mis-matched pair so they won't bother to take them
This is where I’m stuck though… if it’s a crowded day, how do you know the ONE ski is yours?

Is it just the assumption that the majority of folks will lean them in pairs, so the odds that someone else with your skis split them is low?

I’m a locker, but I’m trying to figure out if I can give my less lock-inclined associates a technique that makes sense. That’s why I’m trying to understand it.
:beer:

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Watching, because I was wondering this same question. I never locked up my skis before (but most of my life I was skiing old rental skis, fairly undesirable). Now I have new skis with really nice bindings on them, still in an unusual size for most people because I'm a small woman, but it still concerns me now. I felt a lot more comfortable at Taos than I did at Steamboat (before I got my new skis) where it was extremely crowded and there was a more rowdy vibe in general on the mountain compared to what I used to see. Has anyone experienced ski theft? Or is this one of those things that could happen but is exceptionally rare still?

Jilly

Staff member
My DH has his "taken", they left a similar pair but in worst shape.. Not mistaken identity, BSL totally different . I've had poles taken 2X.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Watching, because I was wondering this same question. I never locked up my skis before (but most of my life I was skiing old rental skis, fairly undesirable). Now I have new skis with really nice bindings on them, still in an unusual size for most people because I'm a small woman, but it still concerns me now. I felt a lot more comfortable at Taos than I did at Steamboat (before I got my new skis) where it was extremely crowded and there was a more rowdy vibe in general on the mountain compared to what I used to see. Has anyone experienced ski theft? Or is this one of those things that could happen but is exceptionally rare still?
I see lots of posts on social media of people getting their skis and snowboards taken. I don’t think it’s exceptionally rare personally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna